Your Taxes, Your Beliefs

Wake

Easygoing Conservative
Jun 11, 2013
Wouldn’t it be something if people could opt out of paying taxes towards things they don’t agree with? A liberal wouldn’t have to pay taxes towards something he doesn’t like… wait, I can’t think of anything liberals wouldn’t want to pay taxes towards. Just joking. :razz: A conservative could decide that she wants to opt out of paying taxes towards abortion clinics, expense involving gay marriage, etc. I suppose if certain liberals don’t like enforcing the Southern border they could choose to opt out on paying taxes towards that, too. The thing is, I don’t like to have money taken from me to pay for stuff I don’t like.

Now, of course there are some things that can’t be opted out of, like putting taxes towards repairing our roads and keeping our public libraries from going belly-up, but why should I have to put money towards the more social-related things that I don’t see eye-to-eye on?I’m sure both liberals and conservatives can agree there are things they’d rather not have their taxes go towards. For the sake of freedom people ought to have the right to choose what they’re willing to afford. It’s not nice to have to keep having your paycheck gouged to be put towards things you disagree with, or even passionately oppose.

My friends, we should support the right of the people to decide what we want to pay taxes towards, and what it is of true value that all should pay for. Conservatives shouldn’t have their money forcefully funneled towards liberal causes, and liberals shouldn’t have their money forcefully funneled towards conservative causes. It’s about you, the precious people, and your right to decide where your money should go.

It ought to be said that most Americans don’t like taxes. It’s money that’s basically stolen from you, legally. Lol. It’s your money that you’ve busted your hump to get, but it’s then taken and put towards stuff that you may just not like. Guys, I’ve got a few examples of weird taxes that you, the people, should be allowed to choose if you want to pay for:

Sliced Bagel Tax

You might want to think twice about getting that schmear. In New York City, bagels that are sliced or prepared are subject to sales tax, whereas whole bagels are not, according to the Wall Street Journal.

15 Totally Bizarre U.S. Taxes

Yeah, people, a bagel tax. Now, I’m like you. Bagels are sacred, especially those precious morsels that have peanut butter and strawberry jelly schmeared on them. Don’t you, dear and precious people, want to have to pay to get your bagels schmeared? WHAT WORLD DO WE LIVE IN?! :tongue: What next, a burger tax in Wisconsin that affects all burgers that have more than one patty of meat? If we get a cheese tax in WI, there will be riots.

Pet Tax

If you live in Durham, North Carolina, you could be paying a tax on Rover. The state charges a $10 tax for neutered and spayed pets and $75 for pets that are not neutered or spayed, according to Turbo Tax.

Oh look, a tax in North Carolina on pets. So… you get taxed $75 if you pet isn’t fixed. You know what I want to fix? This stupid tax! Where do these bureaucratic schmucks in stuffy suits get the idea that furry pets should be taxed? I suppose reptiles and fish are exempt, but cats and dogs aren’t. This is a bogus tax that we shouldn’t have to pay for if we don’t want to.

Elderly Tax Exemption

By the time you're 100, you've paid enough in taxes, at least according to the state of New Mexico, where people over 100 years old are tax-exempt.

See, this is why I don’t believe in taxes and why I take with a grain of salt every written word and intangible belief the hairy animal known as homo sapiens makes. Everything from laws to morals is completely arbitrary. We created these manmade hypothetical structures. We scribble words down on paper according to the stuff we think, and then we expect everyone else to follow them. If a god does exist, he must be wondering what the **** is going on with us hairy freaks. If I were a god I’d certainly be in a smiting mood.

Flush Tax

If it's yellow, let it mellow could be the motto of some Maryland and Virginia residents looking to save money. In these two states there's a tax on flushing the toilet, according to Bing.

Being a cheapass, I don’t really have much of a problem with this one. I tend to water the porcelain a few times before giving my inorganic friend a heartfelt flush. Hey, it all adds up on your water bill if everyone takes a flush over the tiniest tinkle. I once flushed a fat tick down the toilet and I actually felt bad over it.

As you can see there are quite a few things people might just not want to put their hard-earned money towards. And the above examples are only the fringe taxes. We aren’t just considering the big things like abortion, gay marriage, traditional marriage, you name it. It’d probably be a happier place if people could decide that they don’t want their money to go towards voter IDs, abortions, securing our borders, or gay marriage. If we don’t change this, we may very well reach a boiling point where people have to pay for all the expenses that go towards things that they don’t agree with. It’s pretty crappy if you ask me.

At times I feel like I’ve got this big, fat mosquito ingrained in my right cheek, sucking me dry of all my money. If I don’t support abortion or our incompetent public school system, I shouldn’t have my wallet sucked by these people to pay for it. These people remind me of those “rate suckers” on those Progressive Insurance commercials. Big teeth, big mouths, little brains, little respect. I just want to smack them with a cattle prod.
Is there anything that can be done about this, so that we the people can start having a say in where our tax dollars go? And before I forget, this doesn’t apply to just Tea Partiers and conservatives. ANY American should be allowed to NOT pay taxes towards unfavorable social and political issues that require sucking money out of people. Liberals, if you know of any taxes you DON’T want to pay for, PLEASE provide them here (because I can’t think of any :tongue:). I know that the Right is more vocal about being sucked dry, but I’d like to hear from you guys to, as well as libertarians and independents about this.

Being able to opt out of taxation kind of defeats the purpose of taxation, but I'd certainly be more than ok with that. The only legitimate tax would be a voluntary tax, or, in other words, a donation.

What you overlook is that all these progressive ideas are so good, they HAVE to be mandatory...

:eusa_eh:

Let me start by saying that I believe that most of the taxes we pay are unjust and that we should not have to pay more than a total of 10% of our income in total taxes. That is the same amount I give to my church.

I believe that taxes are payment for services that we receive. If I don't get the benefit of a service paid for by taxes I should not be required to pay it.
That would mean that the "welfare" system in this country would not be possible. Social security would be well funded. The military would have to cut their spending and the police departments would be able to increase theirs.

What you overlook is that all these progressive ideas are so good, they HAVE to be mandatory...

Weren't we just having a discussion about who is actually 'left wing' and who is 'right wing'?

God but the libturds of the world are such hypocrites.

And scumbags.

And liars.

And sick.

And criminal.

And douche-nozzles.

And disgusting.

And dishonest.

And anti-American.

And bullies.

And thieving.

And anti-freedom.

And.....

Other than that, they're just swell people :cool:

no one idividual is happy where their taxes go. Thats what makes them more palatable.

NOW, if the Repubs will work w/ the Dems to overhaul the tax code we could get rid of some of the more egregious write-offs. IOW's lower rates & get rid of Special Interest deductions

Last edited:

Weren't we just having a discussion about who is actually 'left wing' and who is 'right wing'?

God but the libturds of the world are such hypocrites.

And scumbags.

And liars.

And sick.

And criminal.

And douche-nozzles.

And disgusting.

And dishonest.

And anti-American.

And bullies.

And thieving.

And anti-freedom.

And.....

Other than that, they're just swell people :cool:

OK, you just described someone I know on the board, one of the most reactionary ladies who has ever posted here.

Other than that, carry on.

Last edited:
Some of you need to study the Articles of Confederation Congress to understand why we have taxation.

We the People have the ability and the right to elect congresscritters to change these matters.

We don't. If you let the wolves amongst the sheep, guess what? They will be clothed for the winter.

Being able to opt out of taxation kind of defeats the purpose of taxation, but I'd certainly be more than ok with that. The only legitimate tax would be a voluntary tax, or, in other words, a donation.

I'm not so sure of that. There'd be quite a few things that wouldn't be removed, like funding for fixing up roads and other public things, as well as libraries and post offices. Making all taxes voluntary is beyond what I'm reaching for... though that too raises some good points. When it comes to social programs that require taxation I can see it being reasonable to opt out of them.

I wish to opt out of being compelled to pay for the wholly counterproductive drug war as well as the kind of military adventures we've engaged in from the "police action" in Korea and the "intervention" in Vietnam to the unlawful, immoral, and wholly unnecessary recent engagements in the Middle East.

I also wish to opt out of the annual $3billion welfare check to Israel.

I'm not so sure of that. There'd be quite a few things that wouldn't be removed, like funding for fixing up roads and other public things, as well as libraries and post offices. Making all taxes voluntary is beyond what I'm reaching for... though that too raises some good points. When it comes to social programs that require taxation I can see it being reasonable to opt out of them.

Why should libraries and the post office be left out?

No tax should be imposed on the people except as absolutely necessary for the federal government to perform its constitutionally mandated responsibilities. All other taxes should be via social contract; i.e. by consent of those paying them at no higher level than state or local governments.

Somehow those who disagree with war--or even are morally opposed to particular wars--have never been exempt from paying for them. So these other crybabies need to get over themselves.

yeah, and who would get to opt out of paying for the legion of Fed emps that would be needed to keep track of where your money goes?

cute idea, but really now.

The Federal Government has not operated for our benefit for a very long time now. It needs us to feed it, but our rights, our opportunities, our choices, our options are not of much interest to them except to the extent they can demand more taxes, a bigger budget, hire more people, and become ever more powerful, intrusive, and authoritarian.

I believe this is the last generation that will have any chance to reverse that trend and restore some semblance of the Republic that the Founders gave us. And it has to start with restricting the authority of the federal government and the amount of money the people will allow it to have.

no one idividual is happy where their taxes go. Thats what makes them more palatable.

NOW, if the Repubs will work w/ the Dems to overhaul the tax code we could get rid of some of the more egregious write-offs. IOW's lower rates & get rid of Special Interest deductions

wow, what a fail of an effort to flip the BS, its the gop that doesn't want a tax code overhaul?obama got his, weres the reciprocity?

You ,know what he said he would do, like pushing for tax relief via a new code, entitlements into the pot, etc etc ...?

It's an interesting concept, kind of put your money where your mouth is taxation. That is exactly why it would not work. The way taxes work now is that those that "want" demand that the "want" is paid for by only other people.

The fair tax however would serve the same purpose and is again why it will never be established.

Has to be a consensus, Trajan, and that does not look like it will happen.

If the House goes blue next year, you may get your tax code reform after all.

And we all will suffer.

Last edited:
Dumb, dumb, dumb idea.

How dumb?

I will tell you.

The day after a law was passed that you could elect which taxes not to pay, EVERYONE would stop paying ALL their taxes.

Some people have not even the most basic understanding of human nature.

Forum List

Back