Your solution to the illegal immigration problem

Discussion in 'Immigration/Illegal Immigration' started by JamesInFlorida, Dec 20, 2010.

1. JamesInFlorida

JamesInFlorida Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Hey everyone, we all know that illegal immigration needs to be dealt with, one way or another. So my question is this: how would you handle it? In my opinion, there's no easy solution. It would be virtually impossible to deport all the illegals here now, and on top of that we wont ever be able to realistically stop them from coming over here. They come over to have a better life in the US, and are willing to risk their lives to do so, so I don't think border security is the answer. With all this, I think we need to do something about it.

So I don't really have any realistic answers: so what's yours?

2. Meister

Meister VIP Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,100
    With that attitude....your right, we won't be able to stop them. Having said that.....before we go any farther with immigration reform we have to be able to secure our borders....just like every other country in the world seems to be able to do.
    After the borders are secured then we can address the path to citizenship for those who ARE an asset to our great nation. No anchor babies....no bringing over the vast number of relatives.
    But....it all begins with securing our border.

3. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    We should offer a reasonable path to citizenship. It's part of the founding principles..that we are a nation of immigrants. I liked what President George W. Bush tried to do in this regard - offer a way for people currently here to make amends..and a guest worker program for people looking to become citizens. One of the few things I agreed with him on.

4. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    My solution is first seal the border, second deport every illegal alien as they are found and heavily fine any employer that hired them. If you want to get extreme, you could start a season on illegals with no bag limit or simply put up a bounty for each one killed or captured. I would also deny them all social benefits i.e. education, foodstamps, medical care etc....

5. JamesInFlorida

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Well securing the border would cost billions of dollars-something our country cannot currently afford. And the money being pumped into securing the border right now doesn't seem to have much effect. I also don't see the need to secure the Canadian border...Canadians don't immigrate illegally to the US.

So how would you pay for securing the borders? It would only pile on our deficit.

6. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    The first step is to make laws with teeth in them to punish those hiring illegal aliens.
    Up to and including revocation of business liscences and mandatory prison terms for repeat offenders.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    And also to crack down heavially on identity theft.

8. Meister

Meister VIP Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,100
    Have you even thought of how much these illegals are costing us now? You can't keep having a flow of illegals coming across and have a discussion on immigration reform. Yes...we can spend the money to secure the borders....we have to.

9. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Sealing the border will not be cheap but it will pay for itself in the long run. Considering the price we currently pay each year for these illegal parasites.

1. $11 Billion to $22 Billion is spent on welfare to illegal aliens each year FAIR: Immigration and Welfare

2. $2.2 Billion dollars a year is spent on food assistance programs such as food stamps, WIC, and free school lunches for illegal aliens Center for Immigration Studies

3. $2.5 Billion dollars a year is spent on Medicaid for illegal aliens.
    [Center for Immigration Studies

4. $12 Billion dollars a year is spent on primary and secondary school education for children here illegally and they cannot speak a word ofEnglish
    http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0604/01/ldt.0.html (broken link)

5. $17 Billion dollars a year is spent for education for the American-born children of illegal aliens, known as anchor babies.
    CNN.com - Transcripts

6. $3 Million Dollars a DAY is spent to incarcerate illegal aliens.
    CNN.com - Transcripts

7. 30% percent of all Federal Prison inmates are illegal aliens.
    CNN.com - Transcripts

8. $90 Billion Dollars a year is spent on illegal aliens for Welfare and Social Services by the American taxpayers.
    http://premium.cnn.com/TRANSCIPTS/0610/29/ldt.01.html (broken link)

9. $200 Billion Dollars a year in suppressed American wages are caused by the illegal aliens. CNN.com - Transcripts

10. The illegal aliens in the United States have a crime rate that's two-and-a-half times that of white non-illegal aliens.. In particular, their children, are going to make a huge additional crime problem in the US
    CNN.com - Transcripts

11. During the year of 2005 there were 4 to 10 MILLION illegal aliens that crossed our Southern Border also, as many as 19,500 illegal aliens from Terrorist Countries. Millions of pounds of drugs, cocaine, meth, heroin and marijuana, crossed into the U.S. from the Southern border. Homeland Security Report.
    Redirecting...

12. The National Policy Institute, 'estimated that the total cost of mass deportation would be between $206 and $230 billion or an average cost of between $41 and $46 billion annually over a five year period.'http://www.nationalpolicyinstitute.org/pdf/deportation.pdf
    13. In 2006 illegal aliens sent home $45 BILLION in remittances back to their countries of origin.
    http://www.rense.com/general75/niht.html

14. 'The Dark Side of Illegal Immigration: Nearly One Million Sex Crimes Committed by Illegal Immigrants In The United States
    Deborah Schurman-Kauflin, Ph.D. - Criminal Profiler : Crime & Terrorism investigation resources

Our 2010 estimate that illegal immigration is costing US taxpayers $113 billion per year may be found in our publication The Fiscal Burden of Illegal Immigration on United States Taxpayers.

FAIR: The Cost of Immigration

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. JamesInFlorida

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I think you're missing my point. My point is we can't really secure our borders. I agree it would cost a lot-but how much effect would it have? Lately the government's been cracking down on the border, and it's fair to say the results have been virtually non-existent.

How would you secure it? Build a fence? Done. Didn't work. Build a bigger fence? They find another way around. Hire more border patrols-they keep trying til they get through. Regardless of what we did to secure the border-they would adapt and still get here one way or another. People who are risking their lives to get here have nothing to lose. You can't keep people who have nothing to lose out forever. Beefing up the border security would just mean it would take them longer, or be harder for them to get here-but they still would.

edit:although I do agree taking the financial aid the government gives to illegals.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010