Your first official act as President of the United States

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Conservative, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Conservative

Conservative Type 40

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    There seems to be a fairly wide range of opinions on this site, on many different subjects.

So, I am curious... what would your first official action as President of the United States be? Would you support a particular bill? Would you push for raising taxes? Would you push for lowering taxes? Another stimulus? Push to revoke legislation?

Anything that is within the powers of the president is fair game, but no partisan hackery please. Go for it. What would you do first?

Here's mine:

First, remember I am a conservative. I believe in a strong national defense. However, my first official action as President would be to order the defense department produce a list of every military base we have in every foreign country, citing the entire compliemnt of manpower and materials, as well as any and all reasons for the installation to remain.

I would use that as a basis to begin discussing with my military and foreign policy advisors, the possible closing/relocating of bases, materials and manpower.

Again, I believe in a strong national defense. However, I also believe we can cut certain expenditures in the military without compromising the security of ourselves or our allies.

your turn.

2. Zona

Zona A guy in ariZONA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +942
    Prosecute Bush and all his cronies.

3. Conservative

Conservative Type 40

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    Wow. partisan hackery on the first response.

Maybe I overestimated this board.

4. Squrl

Squrl Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap2:

5. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Thats a good start, I'd follow up with ending all foriegn aid, and subsidies. If they are truly are friends they'll understand, if not F@%k them. The next move would be to review the effectiveness of congress, and government in general.

6. Conservative

Conservative Type 40

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    none of which is soley within the powers of the president, which is a requirement for the question asked in the OP.

7. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Park all our naval ships in port for 6 months and review whether we need 13 aircraft carriers. Withdraw our military forces from abroad and close bases overseas. The world is a different place than it was in the mid twentieth century. Military force is still needed but only in response to a threat not as a deterrence. We still need a military but a slimmed down one. We now have the ability to strike with robotic weapon systems from our home territory, with lethal silence and stealthiness.

We have a threat to our national security today and it grows daily and that is the inability to pay for our standing army. We can reduce our Army by 50%, our Navy by 40% and our Air Force by 70% and still no one will be able to mess with us conventionally. Tank are obsolete in warfare today. The lethal ability of the individual soldier and aircraft (manned and unmanned) make them sitting coffins. Yet the cost of just one is enormous. The same goes for ships and aircraft. The future is in unmanned fighting vehicles, smaller, more lethal and greater range. It is time to convert and bring our people home.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  8. Squrl

Squrl Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont know about removing foreign aid and subsidies...i think part of the reason you would want to prosecute bush is because of the image he portrayed globally of america. removing foreign aid would only make that image worse, and you'd then be guilty of the same "crime"

9. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,894
    Repeal Obamacare.

10. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2: