Your favourite religious building

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
On most of my trips I seem to end up visiting a few religious buidings, be they churches, mosques, synagogues, temples or monasteries.

Are there any that have made a real impression on you?

Apart from the obvious Temple Mount in Jerusalem, I love the National Mosque in Kuala Lumpur and the Caves Monastery in Kyev. Both to me capture something sublime and magical.

Here are a couple of pics.

dscn1732qu.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

The natural order is evidence of the divine plan.

Even the early Christians understood this concept, before the emergence of Catholicism and the authoritarian Church. See Acts 7:48-49, for example.

Varelse -

Well, I love nature, too. Maybe another thread for natural beauty could be a good one - but here I was thinking more about actual buildings and architecture.

Varelse -

Well, I love nature, too. Maybe another thread for natural beauty could be a good one - but here I was thinking more about actual buildings and architecture.

In a very technical sense, you are correct. However the definition of 'building' can be broadly interpreted to include anything which is built without regard to whom or what is the builder. Of course, those who believe in God know there are those things which are built by Man and those things which are the work of the Creator

Two of my favorite Bible verses are:

“The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun” (Psalm 19:1-4, KJV).

“For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse” (Romans 1:20, KJV).

I have always maintained that nature is the way God does things, and the best evidence we have of God is the world around us. The forest tell us much more about God than any cathedral possibly could.

As for me, my favorite religious building is an old country church, long ago demolished. In the final analysis, it is not the grandeur of the building that is endearing or enduring; instead, it is the memories of fellowship and inspiration that linger on and comfort.

Buildings do not make me think of God, but pastures do.

Have a great day.

it is not the grandeur of the building that is endearing or enduring; instead, it is the memories of fellowship and inspiration that linger on and comfort.

For a religious person, this may be true. But I am not a religious person. Hence, I find few religious spaces moving in their own right.

The ones that I do find in some way spiritual or powerful tend to be special spaces - like the ones I mention here.

I don't see any god in the world's great religious buildings. I see the opulence of organized religion and the unnamed, uncounted people whose wealth was taken to fund that opulence, and the labor of the poorer classes to make it all possible.

If your god is accessible to all, why not worship in that god's creation or home, the beauty of the natural world, accessible to all and connected to this world and that of your god? Why do you try to wall off your god and contain deity within your own constructions and petty fiefdoms?

I don't see any god in the world's great religious buildings. I see the opulence of organized religion and the unnamed, uncounted people whose wealth was taken to fund that opulence, and the labor of the poorer classes to make it all possible.

If your god is accessible to all, why not worship in that god's creation or home, the beauty of the natural world, accessible to all and connected to this world and that of your god? Why do you try to wall off your god and contain deity within your own constructions and petty fiefdoms?

That's a fair point, and I often feel the same way. I also find a lot of religious buildings oppressive, and more about power, fear and control than freedom and joy.

But I do think a religious bulding can be a very special place - the best ones do inspire, create an oasis of calm, or in some way encourage reflection or meditation.

I've found the same in a clearing in the woods, pretty much touched only to care for and preserve nature's beauty.

I'm sure there are people who find it in an isolation tank :dunno:

stonehenge.gif

Actually there are a number of Stonehenges... I traipsed all over Ireland seeking them out, many not even named. Newgrange was way too manicured though.

Your favourite religious building

crystal-cathedral.jpg
crystal_cathedral_01_hr.jpg

crystal-cathedral.jpg

I think the Crystal Cathedral is not only the most spectacular, I love the face that Evangelicals couldn't find anyone good enough to design it and had to hire a gay man who had been living with his boyfriend for 40 years. Imagine, worshiping in the house that Phil built.

Lipush -

I love the old synagoge in Budapest - it is gorgeous! I am not always a huge fan of the architeture of synagogues, but there are some like Sofia and two of the old ones in Kazimierz (Cracow, Poland) that stand out.

Forum List

Back