CDZ You think Trump's claim that the GOP process is "rigged" eh?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by 320 Years of History, Apr 16, 2016.

1. 320 Years of History

320 Years of History Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,550
    Folks are grumbling about Ted Cruz having collected all of Colorado's delegates. This even as Wyoming has a similar process -- choose delegates in an election --> have the candidates lobby them for support --> hold a convention for the purpose of assigning the delegates voted for to the various candidates.

And what is Trump doing in Wyoming? Apparently nothing; he's essentially ceding them to Mr. Cruz, throwing in the towel. Really? He's just going to substantively cede the delegates to Mr. Cruz...even though he and his team must know that getting them, however many or few, helps achieve his objective of winning the GOP nomination. Trump isn't even going to attempt to give Wyoming's delegates a reason to support him.

Mark my words. I bet he'll next week be ranting about how Wyoming voters were robbed or some such nonsense.

Wyoming and Colorado are not the only jurisdictions whereof Trump has tacitly attested to the irrelevance of the voters there. He allowed Mr. Rubio to win 10 of 19 of D.C.'s pledged delegates and Mr. Kasich got 9 of them. Trump got none and made no effort to get any either. He didn't even hold a campaign event in D.C., which with it's small quantity of registered Republicans (~27K) and proportionately large quantity of delegates (D.C. population = ~500K and D.C. has 19 delegates; Florida population = ~20M and has 99 delegates, for example), could have been a "low effort for high 'profit' margin" endeavor for Trump, especially with his penchant/strategy of hosting huge rallies.

That's at least three places, having a total of 75 delegates among them, where Trump has all but abdicated to his competitors, yet, he claims the system is rigged. Cry me a river, Trump.

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. PredFan

PredFan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,630
    I have been a defender of Trump, if not a supporter, from the beginning, but he is proving himself to be a "Not Ready For Prime Time Player". And to top it off, he's whining about the results of his lack of preparation. It's disappointing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I amso IR

I amso IR "Well Yea, Duh"! Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +473
    So I am not the first person to notice how Trumps "thinking" seems to get in the way of Trumps "thinking"? It may have much or little to do with his advisory folks, but still falls into the basic question asked at the beginning. Simply the nature of the beast, I suppose.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. The Irish Ram

The Irish Ram LITTLE GIRL / Ram Tough

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,334
    Trumps a businessman. I doubt he stopped making alot of money to go to Politician School. But one thing you can count on, if he doesn't have the answer, he'll search out someone one who did go to Political School to get the answer. He's a quick learner.
    He wants to put this country back to work. He wants to stop the illegal invasion and give us back our border. I say we let him. Politicians want to play politics with our lives to further their own agendas. That needs to stop.

Rigged is a poor choice of words. Intentionally obscure may be a better description of our political process.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  5. TheOldSchool

TheOldSchool Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    last stop for sanity before reaching the south
    Ratings:
    +35,897
    All Trump needs is the voice of the people. If the GOP wants to bypass him and commit suicide by nominating a foreign RINO who spits on half of the GOP base then they can go right ahead.

6. 320 Years of History

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,550
    Well, what is "Politician School?" I know what sociology, communications/rhetoric, philosophy and psychology are as academic and practical disciplines. They combine to create another discipline, political science and the ideas from those disciplines are combined to create the practical act we call marketing.

• Well, what has stopped him from doing so since June 2015 from doing so?
    • Assuming the "the answer" is found in the ideas of political science rather than in the published GOP primary and convention rules, what makes his failure to engage competent political scientists/strategists from last June to now do anything other than utterly discredit your assertion that "he'll search out someone who did go to Political School to get the answer?"

Nobody has a problem with that as a goal; I dare say everyone wants the nation to reach minimum levels of structural unemployment rates.

The problems folks have with Trump, as goes this thread's topic, is his whining about things being rigged when they are not, when they are largely the same as they have been for years, same enough that there's no excuse for him not to have (1) understood how the electoral/delegate game works, (2) failing that, recognized that he didn't and hired people who do, and (3) used his billions (remember, he's self-funding by choice) to build a "ground-crew" or follow their expert advice about how not to completely get shut out of Colorado, Wyoming and D.C.'s delegate races.

"Rigged" is Trump's word, not mine.

Red:
    Apparently he simply has not learned a better word than "rigged." He's had some 60+ years to do so....and you say he's a "quick learner." I think you give him too much credit.

7. oldsoul

oldsoul Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    Yes, Trump is a buiness man. I agree that it is doubtful he "...stopped making alot of money to go to Politician School." As a business man, he likely does seek out those who have the answers, and expertise where he does not. That is where our agreement ends.
    He is not all that quick of a learner. Calling Ted Cruz "Lyin' Ted" doesn't seem to really be having much effect anymore, yet he continues to use the line. Just as an example.
    Trump wants to gain power and wealth for himself, if that means putting more people to work, fine. If that means closing the borders, great. If that means selling our country out to a foreign power, so be it. To Trump, it's all the same, if the ends are there, the means don't matter.
    As far as "rigged", he's right. The delegate and nomination proccess is rigged, for ALL parties, to get the results the leadership wants. That is what keeps the powerful in power. It's really no different that any other business.
    Take GE for example. Would you say that their system is "rigged" if it where revealed that it is intended to put GE ahead of their competitors and keep them there? Of course not, that's how business works. The GOP, and the DNC are businesses. Their "product" is politics. Of course they are "rigging" their system to keep themselves in the most advantagous position possible.

8. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,173
    In this context, "rigged" means selecting delegates by means other than preference by the voters. I also means appointing delegates who will switch their convention votes to another candidate at the first opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The Irish Ram

The Irish Ram LITTLE GIRL / Ram Tough

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,334
    What we have now is a few people selected to determine an election, based on whomever they feel like voting in. It is a poor system that makes the majority vote impotent. One republican delegate said she was voting for Hitlery.
    The system needs to be overhauled to give voters the most advantageous position possible.

10. 320 Years of History

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,550
    Black bold:
    I assure you that I'm not at all convinced that's a bad thing.

• Agree Agree x 1