You Believe NASA should be cut? Read this and think again.

I get the appeal of deep space exploration.
I'm a star-gazer from way back.

I'm not seeing the benefits, though.
Are we finding the cure for cancer?

I just feel we have enough money floating in space and not enough here on good old planet earth

Maybe we need to pull out of the middle east and stop spending hundreds of billion per year on something that's really worthless. :eusa_shhh: What's the benefit; human knowledge and advancement for starters. A technological sector that can compete with the rest of the world. Just think of the benefit to the economy from that??? Of course people will blindly spout that nothing comes from it.

Nasa really isn't a waste for the amount of jobs and technical benefit it provides. The millitary and welfare on the other hand certainly is...Really, 17 billion dollars are somehow pointed out as a waste, while forgetting the hundreds of billions wasted throughout the millitary and welfare. It doesn't make much sense to slam down on an entire sector within our economy...While over looking the real waste starring us in the face.

At least nasa increases the size of our technical sector and gives us the edge. Wtf has these wars done for us? Wtf has feeding little trayvon done for us? Nothing.

Both talking points are baseless. How do you increase the living standard on earth...Well, you increase your wealth on earth. You think everything is on this one planet? We really can't mine here on earth as the majority seems to not want to fuck the environment up.

I agree with the bolded, Matt.

We're really not that far apart.

It's a tough call, though, when my other eye is looking at the red bottom line on our nation's ledger.

NASA's an easy budget target when their immediate benefit isn't easily recognized.
Just like the Military was an easy target after we pulled out of Iraq.

We're going to have to make a LOT of cuts to a LOT of programs that ALOT of people like.

:cool:

Explain why nasa is more of a waste than the military half way around the world nation building? :eusa_shifty: Hell, the military loses more money than the entire science budget at nasa.:badgrin:

We should be increasing our sciences as that would increase are technical sector to be able to stay ahead of China. Unless you believe we can compete with China without one.:eusa_silenced: You people are like Saddam Hussein, you think you can kick down anyones door with a big and well funded military, but you forget that it's our technology that won the day. :eusa_shhh:

You libs will make anything into a political rant. None of that has anything to do with rocket ships.

Last edited:
I would love for NASA to have gobs of money to play with and use for all sorts of exciting stuff.

I'd also really love for every American child to have a home and a full tummy. How about highways and bridges that are not falling apart? And schools that actually teach our kids to compete on the world stage?

How about we pay our teachers and cops and fire fighters what they're worth?

Oh wait, I forgot, idiot rw's believe that's CommieMarxFascSoshSomething Or Other. They believe we raise taxes on the middle class and give it to the 1%. Stupid.

How about we stop playing World Policeman, Stop trying to force Democracy on other countries whether they want it or not? How about Stopping all foreign aid? How about letting Japan and South Korea pay for their own defense? If we did those things then you could have every thing you want and NASA would have the budget they really need. Maybe our priority should be America First.

I get the appeal of deep space exploration.
I'm a star-gazer from way back.

I'm not seeing the benefits, though.
Are we finding the cure for cancer?

I just feel we have enough money floating in space and not enough here on good old planet earth

Maybe we need to pull out of the middle east and stop spending hundreds of billion per year on something that's really worthless. :eusa_shhh: What's the benefit; human knowledge and advancement for starters. A technological sector that can compete with the rest of the world. Just think of the benefit to the economy from that??? Of course people will blindly spout that nothing comes from it.

Nasa really isn't a waste for the amount of jobs and technical benefit it provides. The millitary and welfare on the other hand certainly is...Really, 17 billion dollars are somehow pointed out as a waste, while forgetting the hundreds of billions wasted throughout the millitary and welfare. It doesn't make much sense to slam down on an entire sector within our economy...While over looking the real waste starring us in the face.

At least nasa increases the size of our technical sector and gives us the edge. Wtf has these wars done for us? Wtf has feeding little trayvon done for us? Nothing.

Both talking points are baseless. How do you increase the living standard on earth...Well, you increase your wealth on earth. You think everything is on this one planet? We really can't mine here on earth as the majority seems to not want to fuck the environment up.

I agree with the bolded, Matt.

We're really not that far apart.

It's a tough call, though, when my other eye is looking at the red bottom line on our nation's ledger.

NASA's an easy budget target when their immediate benefit isn't easily recognized.
Just like the Military was an easy target after we pulled out of Iraq.

We're going to have to make a LOT of cuts to a LOT of programs that ALOT of people like.

:cool:

Some of these cuts may have the opposite effect of decreasing the size of our economy. When we're cutting, we must stay away from decreasing the scale of our ability to create (innovate) and keeping opportunity within the jobs market. What we must do is focus on cutting the waste and thinking before we do things that don't benefit us. It works both ways as decreasing our wealth will hurt our ability to recover from the debt.

The wars in the Middle East don't benefit us as we haven't gained anything from it. It sucks from our economy as these men could be adding to our economy here at home. Nasa benefits us simply because it 1# it provides jobs, 2# It gives us a technical edge. This is within our economy and helps us as a nation in both keeping us the most advance nation on earth and giving our population wealth.

Yes, we do need to cut, but NASA shouldn't be the focus.

Last edited:
Explain why nasa is more of a waste than the military half way around the world nation building? :eusa_shifty: Hell, the military loses more money than the entire science budget at nasa.:badgrin:

We should be increasing our sciences as that would increase are technical sector to be able to stay ahead of China. Unless you believe we can compete with China without one.:eusa_silenced: You people are like Saddam Hussein, you think you can kick down anyones door with a big and well funded military, but you forget that it's our technology that won the day. :eusa_shhh:

You llibs will make anything into a political rant. None of that has anything to do with rocket ships.

I'm a republican and believe in a strong free market, but I'm scared that a lot of its "defenders" don't have a clue of simple economics.:eusa_shhh:

Once we accept the fact that government spending does not grow the economy it's easier to accept the concept of less funding for toys for big boys. It's no secret that NASA is in the global warming propaganda business now that Hussein cut the Space Shuttle program. What's the sense of sending robots to Mars and keeping a hunk of junk in space? Let China and Russia do it for a change. Clinton sold them the technology.

Well, Tax cuts don't improve the economy. Instead, it just lets the well off hoard their money, deficits increase, and unemployment rates rise.

It's time for something that gives SOME kind of RESULTS to anyone besides the well off. It might not prove to be much in the end, but IT'S A START!

Wait a minute, you admit that government spending doesn't grow the economy but you seem to think that all money belongs to the government and they only let us use it for a while. The mysterious "well off" are you and me and you seem to want the government to confiscate my wealth and leave yours alone. Hell, force Media Matters and the rest of the left wing propaganda sources to pay a token corporate tax before you take the assets of small "well off" business owners who actually produce goods and services.

I would love for NASA to have gobs of money to play with and use for all sorts of exciting stuff.

I'd also really love for every American child to have a home and a full tummy. How about highways and bridges that are not falling apart? And schools that actually teach our kids to compete on the world stage?

How about we pay our teachers and cops and fire fighters what they're worth?

Oh wait, I forgot, idiot rw's believe that's CommieMarxFascSoshSomething Or Other. They believe we raise taxes on the middle class and give it to the 1%. Stupid.

How about we stop playing World Policeman, Stop trying to force Democracy on other countries whether they want it or not? How about Stopping all foreign aid? How about letting Japan and South Korea pay for their own defense? If we did those things then you could have every thing you want and NASA would have the budget they really need. Maybe our priority should be America First.

Go in there and kill the goddamn terrorists, pull out, and tell them all their on their fucking own.

Once we accept the fact that government spending does not grow the economy it's easier to accept the concept of less funding for toys for big boys. It's no secret that NASA is in the global warming propaganda business now that Hussein cut the Space Shuttle program. What's the sense of sending robots to Mars and keeping a hunk of junk in space? Let China and Russia do it for a change. Clinton sold them the technology.

Well, Tax cuts don't improve the economy. Instead, it just lets the well off hoard their money, deficits increase, and unemployment rates rise.

It's time for something that gives SOME kind of RESULTS to anyone besides the well off. It might not prove to be much in the end, but IT'S A START!

Wait a minute, you admit that government spending doesn't grow the economy but you seem to think that all money belongs to the government and they only let us use it for a while. The mysterious "well off" are you and me and you seem to want the government to confiscate my wealth and leave yours alone. Hell, force Media Matters and the rest of the left wing propaganda sources to pay a token corporate tax before you take the assets of small "well off" business owners who actually produce goods and services.

I'm saying that we should end tax cuts and breaks and then put it towards something that will yield some sort of progress. EVERYONE should be paying their fair share, as required by law!

Freedom aint free. :thup:

I spent a period in my career working with D.C. Science Agencies. I also worked at Kennedy Space Center for a short time. There are few bastions of competency and productive work in Washington and NASA in general has been one of them..

But as I read this thread -- it's clear that we've screwed up in our spending priorities and poor leadership for a couple decades now. And EVERYTHING is up for negotiation. It HAS to be. When we're truly ready to reset the priorities and severely CUT the size and scope of Govt -- THEN -- we can talk about tax increases.

Even the far left has gotten the message that a country with no money and a contracting economy isn't gonna be CAPABLE of funding their cherished stuff either. It's in EVERYONE'S interest to fix the deficit and debt. We're just gonna have to hope that the private sector is unleashed to reverse the contraction sometime soon..

Last edited:
I spent a period in my career working with D.C. Science Agencies. I also worked at Kennedy Space Center for a short time. There are few bastions of competency and productive work in Washington and NASA in general has been one of them..

But as I read this thread -- it's clear that we've screwed up in our spending priorities and poor leadership for a couple decades now. And EVERYTHING is up for negotiation. It HAS to be. When we're truly ready to reset the priorities and severely CUT the size and scope of Govt -- THEN -- we can talk about tax increases.

Even the far left has gotten the message that a country with no money and a contracting economy isn't gonna be CAPABLE of funding their cherished stuff either. It's in EVERYONE'S interest to fix the deficit and debt. We're just gonna have to hope that the private sector is unleashed to reverse the contraction sometime soon..
^^^^:clap:

Some of these cuts may have the opposite effect by decreasing the size of our economy. When we're cutting, we must stay away from decreasing the scale of our ability to create (innovate) and keeping opportunity within the jobs market. What we must do is focus on cutting the waste and thinking before we do things that don't benefit us. It works both ways as decreasing our wealth will hurt our ability to recover from the debt.

The wars in the Middle East don't benefit us as we haven't gained anything from it. It sucks from our economy as these men could be adding to our economy here at home. Nasa benefits us simply because it 1# it provides jobs, 2# It gives us a technical edge. This is within our economy and helps us as a nation in both keeping us the most advance nation on earth and giving our population wealth.

Yes, we do need to cut, but NASA shouldn't be the focus. We better be ready to cut the military and close a shit load of bases before we do that. We better be ready to open up space to the private sector to cushion the blow...

One more thing Nasa has already been cut 1.5 billion dollars. It's time to cut the military and welfare.

Last edited:

Some of these cuts may have the opposite effect by decreasing the size of our economy. When we're cutting, we must stay away from decreasing the scale of our ability to create (innovate) and keeping opportunity within the jobs market. What we must do is focus on cutting the waste and thinking before we do things that don't benefit us. It works both ways as decreasing our wealth will hurt our ability to recover from the debt.

Yes, we do need to cut, but NASA shouldn't be the focus. We better be ready to cut the military and close a shit load of bases before we do that. We better be ready to open up space to the private sector to cushion the blow...

One more thing Nasa has already been cut 1.5 billion dollars. It's time to cut the military and welfare.

Just cutting subsidies for EXISTING PRODUCTS would more than fund NASA.
More importantly -- it would put the emphasis on R&D and away from stupid ass market manipulation and political payback.

SUBSIDIES for all that Green Crap are costing BILLIONS. GE paid no taxes largely BECAUSE of green subsidies. Time to stop feeding the animals and let them return to the wild.

Don't look at me -- I vote Libertarian when I can. THere'd BE no massive foreign based military or Corporate subsidies if more people did the same. ((Whoops wrong forum)) :cool: Gary Johnson wouldn't "use a scalpel" --- he's got a turbo powered CHAIN SAW. Always use the proper tool --- that's what Dad always said...

Recent figures shows -- when the UAWorkers were given GM and the bailout loot bag -- THAT could support NASA for a couple years alone.. We've gotta pay for the party...

We have already cut nasa and the noaa. Time to cut the military, welfare and stop the bail-outs. Why focus on what really makes this nation a super power(our leading of techonology) and focus on what's really costing us.

Area's to cut
-Waste in the military-More waste then the entire nasa and NOAA budget.
-Close all bases within the middle east-2times more then the nasa budget
-Bring troops home from europe-at least nasa's budget
-End Afghan war-3 times nasa budget
-Limit welfare-o'man. 850 billion per year, surely we can cut.
-End all illegals from getting health resources, etc.-billions
End bail-outs-You fail you're done.

Reform many area's throughout our government to reduce waste.

KILLING TECHONOLOGY and SCIENCE is the last area we should be ending. Want to become a second rate nation? Well, here you go. This is something we may never get back once we end it as it takes a long time to retrain the scientist. Believe it or not, I think Barack Obama was right to turn over part of getting into space(design, launch) to the private sector as they can do it for less. This is one area that he did good on and we may get a stronger space program for it. Now we have about 4-5 different corporations competing for a vehicle to get into space!

But we shouldn't end the exploration part.

Last edited:

Really? Government spending does not grow the economy? What alternative universe have you been living in? From the Corp of Discovery to NASA, government spending has resulted in an economic boon as the discoveries made by that spending was taken advantage of by entrampenuers.

Just cutting subsidies for EXISTING PRODUCTS would more than fund NASA.
More importantly -- it would put the emphasis on R&D and away from stupid ass market manipulation and political payback.

SUBSIDIES for all that Green Crap are costing BILLIONS. GE paid no taxes largely BECAUSE of green subsidies. Time to stop feeding the animals and let them return to the wild.

Don't look at me -- I vote Libertarian when I can. THere'd BE no massive foreign based military or Corporate subsidies if more people did the same. ((Whoops wrong forum)) :cool: Gary Johnson wouldn't "use a scalpel" --- he's got a turbo powered CHAIN SAW. Always use the proper tool --- that's what Dad always said...

when one of you 'conservatives' suggest doing the same for the fossil fuel industry, I will consider your point of view.

Where do you think the technological knowledge to build successful rockets came from? Not private enterprise. From government programs from that of Nazi Germany to NASA.

Private enterprise has at best a lukewarm record on R and D. Every dingleberry CEO with a business degree, and no knowledge of science at all, thinks that the first place to cut is R and D.

You get Romney and Ryan in there, kiss NASA goodbye.

You get Romney and Ryan in there, kiss NASA goodbye.

I thought we had already kissed NASA goodbye with Obama.
At least, when you talk about manned space flight.
He even outsourced astronaut jobs to Russia, since that is now how we have to rent a ride from them to go to our space station.

Forum List

Back