Why but why do people rattle-can ARs?

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
My LGS called me this morning and said they sold one of my consignment guns and said they got in some "derelicts" that I might want for parts.

I showed-up and they showed me a rusted to shit double barrel and muzzle loader that were beyond my consideration.....The other was a rattled-canned AR (5.56mm/10.50") pistol build. Good Lord.

why 001 (2).JPG

Talk about a damn shame as it's not that bad of a build, Poverty Pony (Anderson) lower with a match trigger of some flavor, Aero-Precision nitrated bolt/carrier, YHM barrel, Colt carry handle.

At least they did not paint the mottled A-1 grip.....I got it for $196.00 OTD.

It shoots OK, but damn. I'll cannibalize it for it's parts by and by.

Pro-Tip....You kill half the value when you rattle-can something like that......Now that common carbine builds are super cheap that's even more so the case.

My LGS called me this morning and said they sold one of my consignment guns and said they got in some "derelicts" that I might want for parts.

I showed-up and they showed me a rusted to shit double barrel and muzzle loader that were beyond my consideration.....The other was a rattled-canned AR (5.56mm/10.50") pistol build. Good Lord.

View attachment 842956
Talk about a damn shame as it's not that bad of a build, Poverty Pony (Anderson) lower with a match trigger of some flavor, Aero-Precision nitrated bolt/carrier, YHM barrel, Colt carry handle.

Pro-Tip....You kill half the value when you rattle-can something like that......Now that common carbine builds are super cheap that's even more so the case.
Because often "nut" is the operative part of phrase "gun nut".

View attachment 842956

Because I "can"; pun intended. Besides for many an AR isn't for collecting, or investment. It's for use. So camoing ones rifle serves a utilitarian purpose. Cheap, easy, and reversible. It's easy to strip spray paint off of a rifle...

Because often "nut" is the operative part of phrase "gun nut".
Bed wetting pieces of shit like you are programmed to believe it, but no one who matters gives a shit what your dumb ass believes.

I have a couple ARs and an FAL I painted, because they're mine and meant to be used for tactical defensive operations.

Otherwise my collection guns just get admired and played with once in a while. I only have a few safe queens though.

Because I "can"; pun intended. Besides for many an AR isn't for collecting, or investment. It's for use. So camoing ones rifle serves a utilitarian purpose. Cheap, easy, and reversible. It's easy to strip spray paint off of a rifle...
Negative.

Oh you might strip it away to a point but a "haze" always remains on a parked or other .mil type weapon finish once paint pigment gets into it. Paint is nothing but solvent, pigments, and a binding resin of some type.

I bought a AK for next to nothing someone had painted so I took it to work (I worked at a Dupont paint plant at the time) and put the parts into a solvent bath with 50 gallons of pure acetone and let it soak. The bulk of the paint came off but there was a haze left behind that no amount of acetone and scrubbing would remove.

It's the tan colors that leave as it takes a lot more white pigment (think finer talcum powder) to make it.

The browns and greens come off pretty good (or at least not as noticeable) but it's the tan that leaves the haze due to the white pigment it takes to make it.

Blued or other smooth surfaced finished guns can work out OK as the surface finish isn't as porous.

Forum List

Back