• Yes

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's a shame, no one pry even read the bill. It wasn't perfect though so I can understand the defeat.

18% reporting:

Yes: 36%

No: 64%

Update: Associated Press; Issue 2 has failed; the people of Ohio have repealed the anti-union law!

An outcome the people of Ohio knew was coming six months ago. (Note the Unions didn't even try to storm the Statehouse) This taxpayer defeat simply means we keep the status quo. (also that more Ohioans will move South and/or West)

18% reporting:

Update: Associated Press; Issue 2 has failed; the people of Ohio have repealed the anti-union law!

An outcome the people of Ohio knew was coming six months ago. (Note the Unions didn't even try to storm the Statehouse) This taxpayer defeat simply means we keep the status quo. (also that more Ohioans will move South and/or West)

Sour grapes make sour whine.

Special interests are harming our country, and you can thank those five members of the USSC for allowing unlimited funds to flood the election process. Citizens United V. FEC is a wrong-headed decision which threatens our Republic.
Although I am troubled by the practical and political implication of the ruling, however inadvertent, there is no evidence of bad faith on the part of the majority to provide a given political party or philosophy an advantage.

The Court noted a ‘split precedent’ with regard to allowing ‘corporate speech’ in some cases and in other cases not. The Court ruled on the side of the lesser restriction, and I find the reasoning with regard to the First Amendment compelling:
If the First Amendment has any force, it prohibits Congress from fining or jailing citizens, or associations of citizens, for simply engaging in political speech. If the antidistortion rationale were to be accepted, however, it would permit Government to ban political speech simply because the speaker is an association that has taken on the corporate form. The Government contends that Austin permits it to ban corporate expenditures for almost all forms of communication stemming from a corporation. See Part II–E, supra; Tr. of Oral Arg. 66 (Sept. 9, 2009); see also id. , at 26–31 (Mar. 24, 2009). If Austin were correct, the Government could prohibit a corporation from expressing political views in media beyond those presented here, such as by printing books. The Government responds “that the FEC has never applied this statute to a book,” and if it did, “there would be quite [a] good as-applied challenge.” Tr. of Oral Arg. 65 (Sept. 9, 2009). This troubling assertion of brooding governmental power cannot be reconciled with the confidence and stability in civic discourse that the First Amendment must secure.

Political speech is “indispensable to decisionmaking in a democracy, and this is no less true because the speech comes from a corporation rather than an individual.” Bellotti, 435 U. S., at 777 (footnote omitted); see ibid. (the worth of speech “does not depend upon the identity of its source, whether corporation, association, union, or individual”); Buckley , 424 U. S., at 48–49 (“[T]he concept that government may restrict the speech of some elements of our society in order to enhance the relative voice of others is wholly foreign to the First Amendment ”); Automobile Workers , 352 U. S., at 597 (Douglas, J., dissenting); CIO , 335 U. S., at 154–155 (Rutledge, J., concurring in result).

CITIZENS UNITED v. FEDERAL ELECTION COMM’N

As noted in the ruling, the idea of restricting speech no matter how well-intentioned by the government does violate the fundamental premise of the First Amendment and is inconsistent with a comprehensive interpretation of the right to free expression in a democratic society.

Again, however troubling the prospect of unlimited funding by corporations with regard to the political process, the people have the right to hear views of all sides of a given issue, they must be ultimately trusted to make their own collective decision, as is now occurring in Ohio.

18% reporting:

Sour budget, sour economy, sour burden on the taxpayer etc etc. It's why people flee to freer States.

It's not their job to serve the taxpayer well, it's their job to serve their members well. Why do you hate a business just for doing it's job? Why do you hate people for pursuing their own success?

So why do the fucking idiots on the left hate banks for being successful? As least as a consumer, I can choose a different bank - as a taxpayer I am stuck with those fucking public employee unions stealing my money, all I can do is move to another state.

Congratulations to the fucking morons of Ohio, you've just expedited your path down the RI route into bankruptcy, well done idiots.... :clap2:

If the collective bargaining rights of public unions are breaking the banks, then I would say they have to vote yes, the sustainability of the City/State is what's more important, not lining the pockets of Union Bosses to kick money into politicians like john glenns pockets. Special interests is what is killing this country.

Special interests are harming our country, and you can thank those five members of the USSC for allowing unlimited funds to flood the election process. Citizens United V. FEC is a wrong-headed decision which threatens our Republic.
What's the difference between corporations and unions making political donations?

Sour budget, sour economy, sour burden on the taxpayer etc etc. It's why people flee to freer States.
Liberals say people should be thankful for those things.

In Ohio, voters overwhelmingly rejected the law enacted last spring by Gov. John Kasich and the Republican-controlled legislature that limited the ability of public employee unions to collectively bargain.

The law also would have required performance-based pay for most public employees and required them to pay 15 percent of the cost of their health care benefits.

Democratic National Committee Chair Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz cheered the outcome in Ohio calling the law “a blatantly partisan attempt to lay the blame for our economy on middle-class Americans, while letting the wealthiest and special interests off the hook and not asking them to pay their fair share. Voters in Ohio know that targeting public employees for political reasons will do nothing to create jobs or boost Ohio’s economy.”

First Read - Big win for Democrats in Ohio and an abortion surprise in Mississippi

Good for Ohio!!!

$Ohio.jpg

It's not their job to serve the taxpayer well, it's their job to serve their members well. Why do you hate a business just for doing it's job? Why do you hate people for pursuing their own success?

So why do the fucking idiots on the left hate banks for being successful? As least as a consumer, I can choose a different bank - as a taxpayer I am stuck with those fucking public employee unions stealing my money, all I can do is move to another state.

Congratulations to the fucking morons of Ohio, you've just expedited your path down the RI route into bankruptcy, well done idiots.... :clap2:

Wall Street ran a $516 trillion dollar derivatives Ponzi scheme that destroyed the world economy, and no one went to jail for it.

If the collective bargaining rights of public unions are breaking the banks, then I would say they have to vote yes, the sustainability of the City/State is what's more important, not lining the pockets of Union Bosses to kick money into politicians like john glenns pockets. Special interests is what is killing this country.

What's the difference between corporations and unions making political donations?

Unions represent working people and corporations represent the wealthy.

That doesn't answer my question.

You mean like these people:

Cops top Port Authority earners list - NYPOST.com

"Twenty-seven of the top 55 earners for the Port Authority last year were police supervisors, including one recently retired sergeant and former professional basketball player who pulled down a whopping $264,114.

Topping the list was Thomas Hoey, a PAPD sergeant, who more than doubled his base salary of $107,464 in 2009 by taking home an additional $156,650 in overtime, according to SeeThroughNY, a government transparency Internet site. Hoey was the third-highest paid Port Authority employee out of 7,449 staffers at the bi-state agency, according to the site.

-----------------------

You mean like those "working" people? I don't give a shit about private unions, but I DESPISE public unions...they have zero right to exist, period.

The people of Ohio has spoken.

Lets wait and see how loud they speak when their taxes go up to pay 100% of the benefits and retirement for the Public Sector workers.

Victory for the Unions?? Possibly but definetly a not a victory for the taxpayers of Ohio. Too bad they didn't realize that before casting their votes. I guess they fell for that "Collective Bargaining Right" BS.

Oh well. Glad I dont' live in Ohio.

The people of Ohio has spoken.

Lets wait and see how loud they speak when their taxes go up to pay 100% of the benefits and retirement for the Public Sector workers.

Victory for the Unions?? Possibly but definetly a not a victory for the taxpayers of Ohio. Too bad they didn't realize that before casting their votes. I guess they fell for that "Collective Bargaining Right" BS.

Oh well. Glad I dont' live in Ohio.

Maybe they hope to bring in those revenue through increased tourism. I've got a great slogan to do just that: Ohio, just like Greece...only colder.

Their taxes will increase and cities will be forced to lay off public workers and/or reduce services. That's just great for a state that already has the 5th highest debt, the 7th highest overall tax burden and is considered the 3rd worst state in which to do business.

Forum List

Back