YEMENI FEMALE RAPPER RECEIVES THREATS FOR NOT WEARING HIJAB

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Interesting -- a Yemini female rapper. Listen to her rap.

YEMENI FEMALE RAPPER RECEIVES THREATS FOR NOT WEARING HIJAB

Yemeni-rapper-Amani-Yahya-Twitter-640x480.jpg

Twitter/@amaaniyahya

by FRANCES MARTEL9 Jun 201522

A 22-year-old Yemeni rapper, who has become the first high-profile female artist of her kind in the troubled Arab nation, is receiving threats. Amani Yahya fled to Saudi Arabia due to the civil war engulfing Yemen and has dedicated her artistic career to shining a light on the suffering of Yemeni women and defying cultural norms for women in the devout Muslim nation.
Yahya, speaking to The Guardian this week, details the anonymous threats she has received for rapping on Yemeni streets sans hijab, opting instead for American-style puffy coats and baseball hats. “[People] panicked – they saw pictures of me without a hijab or abaya. I got anonymous phone calls and threats,” she says. “They said I should stop what I was doing, that it was haram and that I should be ashamed.”

Yahya, a dentistry student in Saudi Arabia, began rapping at the behest of her friends, who recognized her talent, and found the artform a vehicle for which to shine a light on the abuses of women in the Arab world. Her only recorded song so far, “Maryam,” tells the story of a woman Yahya met who was married off at age 11, not an uncommon practice, which Yahya has previously called “murder.”

Continue reading at:

Yemeni Female Rapper Receives Threats for Not Wearing Hijab - Breitbart?

Forum List

Back