WVU Going too Far

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

This is a rather depressing article about a financial crisis at WVU, which is forcing dramatic cuts to one thing and another. (One can only hope that all DEI positions are being axed, as well as majors ending in "...Studies.")

One particularly disturbing proposal strikes me as a very bad idea. They are going to eliminate modern language requirements, as well as language majors.

Even if you never become fluent in a foreign language, the process of learning the language also teaches about another culture, and in most cases, makes one better aware of principles of English grammar.

If you take away languages, you are no longer worthy of the title, "University." Change it to "Trade School."

This is a rather depressing article about a financial crisis at WVU, which is forcing dramatic cuts to one thing and another. (One can only hope that all DEI positions are being axed, as well as majors ending in "...Studies.")

One particularly disturbing proposal strikes me as a very bad idea. They are going to eliminate modern language requirements, as well as language majors.

Even if you never become fluent in a foreign language, the process of learning the language also teaches about another culture, and in most cases, makes one better aware of principles of English grammar.

If you take away languages, you are no longer worthy of the title, "University." Change it to "Trade School."

I'm not sure learning a language is that important. A lot of people struggle to learn languages because they're not audio learners. You can learn culture just by going to another country. Maybe they should pair up with other universities in Europe and just send their students off to study for six months or a year somewhere else. They'll learn far more about life than they would stuck in Virginia.

Did they keep gender/race studies and all the administrators?

When the government started backing student loans, college administrations everywhere increased

around threefold.

WVU = PacMan U

Sung to Seger's Kathmandu

College football player in jail

I think I'm going to PacMan U
That's really, really where I'm going to
If I ever get out of here (meaning JAIL)
That's what I'm gonna do

I got nothing against Oklahoma State
If you can't read I hear it's just great
Got nothing against the Onor Ull
The Cokes, the Gators and the CrimiNoles

All I made was one legal flub
but the cops here were not part of the BOOSTER CLUB
But at the Pac Man U
That's what the cops really do
They may sometimes arrest you
But if you play football, they don't book you!!!

RIGHT PACMAN!!!

And if I ever get out of here
That's what I'm gonna do
Oh, PPPPP PAC MAN U
Really, really where I'm going to
If I ever get out of here
I'm goin' to PAC MAN U

Last edited:

Forum List

Back