Wow! US Steel CEO: Could Rehire 10,000, Trump Victory Bringing ‘Environment of Positive Optimism’

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
This is amazing. Let's hope for the employees that the CEO is right!

"Longhi said, “I have not felt an environment of positive optimism where forces are converging to provide for a better environment in quite a while. And this is pretty widespread. Customer suppliers, you know, throughout the communities.”

He added, “I’m more than happy to bring back the employees that we were forced to lay off during the depression … It could be close to 10,000."

US Steel CEO: Could Rehire 10,000, Trump Victory Bringing 'Environment of Positive Optimism' - Breitbart

Notice the operative word of "could". It doesn't mean it will happen, just that it is a possibility that is being considered.

And if it follows the model of what governor Pence gave Carrier (Trump didn't do it, Pence did, he's the only one that could), then they will give huge tax rebates to the company while only saving 40 percent of what they said they would.

once a steel mill shuts down the furnaces are kaput

You can't start coke ovens up again; you have to rebuild them

Notice the operative word of "could". It doesn't mean it will happen, just that it is a possibility that is being considered.

And if it follows the model of what governor Pence gave Carrier (Trump didn't do it, Pence did, he's the only one that could), then they will give huge tax rebates to the company while only saving 40 percent of what they said they would.
duh-im-winning-sort-of_o_873601.jpg

I would imagine the ceo knows that. And that would be even more jobs if true.

Talk about REAL 'Hope and Change' - we're seeing it, and the man hasn't even taken over yet.

"Longhi said, “I have not felt an environment of positive optimism where forces are converging to provide for a better environment in quite a while. And this is pretty widespread. Customer suppliers, you know, throughout the communities.”

He added, “I’m more than happy to bring back the employees that we were forced to lay off during the depression … It could be close to 10,000."

US Steel CEO: Could Rehire 10,000, Trump Victory Bringing 'Environment of Positive Optimism' - Breitbart

It is great news. Here is what I found interesting. The source of your report is Breitbart, we're all told is the "fake news site." Well how come Breitbart broke this story and none others? As it is, the CEO was on CNBC TV today and his story is as legitimate as you can expect. So it's true and Breitbart just quoted him. So I was curious and went to the websites of CNN, ABC and NBC and looked for this big news item. Not one of them had any mention of it on the 40 or so news items on their news home page. Some agendas never change --- and they act as though they are looking out for the best interests of the American people.

Nope those jobs won't be coming back to the United States. Not unless you can get a Republican congress to agree to subsidize them. No investors are going to invest in Steel plants here so they can LOSE money. Steel is being made in China. They can produce it much cheaper than here in the United States, and developers/builders will ALWAYS go for the least expensive building products.

Furthermore, this story is coming out of Breitbart, in which Steve Bannon is now in the Trump administration.

Nope those jobs won't be coming back to the United States. Not unless you can get a Republican congress to agree to subsidize them. No investors are going to invest in Steel plants here so they can LOSE money. Steel is being made in China. They can produce it much cheaper than here in the United States, and developers/builders will ALWAYS go for the least expensive building products.

Furthermore, this story is coming out of Breitbart, in which Steve Bannon is now in the Trump administration.

The story is coming from the CEO of US Steel speaking on CNBC today. All you had to do is watch the 2 minute video. Is it Ok for Breitbart to quote him? The CEO also said these were jobs already in the United States of workers that have been laid off, some for a good while. And steel companies have been buying Chinese and Australian and Brazilian steel for decades, but the iron mines and steel plants in the US have been running that whole time so they must be buying u.s. steel as well.

Trump's plan will make American corporations consider moving back to the US with the promise of lower corporate taxes and at the same time raising tariffs on foreign goods. Free trade and TPP will be distant memories.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you keep Chinese steel out of the USA then US companies will need to hire more steel mfg employees.

Trump's plan will make American corporations consider moving back to the US with the promise of lower corporate taxes and at the same time raising tariffs on foreign goods. Free trade and TPP will be distant memories.
I doubt that ... if they are gone they are gone.

What Trump's plan may perhaps do is prevent any further hemorrhaging.

it also depends on if they actually shut them down or as many companies will do, put them on whats called a hot idle, if they did that and maintained them over the last few years, then they can just fire them back up and go on with life.

upload_2016-12-7_21-32-50.jpeg

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you keep Chinese steel out of the USA then US companies will need to hire more steel mfg employees.

That's the point, that's not going to happen. There has been "no Environmental change"--Donald Trump is not a KING, even though he tries to act like it. We have a Republican congress that has already stated there will be no tariffs or embargo's on foreign products. Tariff's have never created a single job in this country, (been there done that already) They only drive up the cost of the product to American consumers. The Tariff'd country will only return the favor by tariffing American products starting a "trade war." Prices go up, job loss's increase.

The Republican congress would never impose a 35% penalty tax on American corporations, that are trying to be competitive in a global market. That's insanity. So we're going to be paying 35% more for a new Ford pickup truck for a punishment tax--LOL As taxes and costs are always passed onto the consumer. It would only make foreign manufactured cars that much more attractive to American consumers. That's the dumbest bullshit I ever heard of.

The problem has always been: That it costs much more to manufacture in this country that it does in foreign countries. Wages are higher. Employers are required to pay payroll taxes, unemployment insurance, workman's compensation insurance, health insurance, and a whole lot of other bullshit regulations attached to that. American corporations have to compete in a global economy. If they can't they're out of business. It's as simple as that.

Because of this American steel can't compete with China. The only way to fix this is to renegotiate trade deals, making certain that for every job loss here, the foreign country is giving us one back. But it may not be in manufacturing, because that will ALWAYS be done cheaper in a foreign country.

Last edited:

That's the point, that's not going to happen. There has been "no Environmental change"--Donald Trump is not a KING, even though he tries to act like it. We have a Republican congress that has already stated there will be no tariffs or embargo's on foreign products. Tariff's have never created a single job in this country, (been there done that already) They only drive up the cost of the product to American consumers. The Tariff'd country will only return the favor by tariffing American products starting a "trade war."

The Republican congress would never impose a 35% penalty tax on American corporations, that are trying to be competitive in a global market. That's insanity. That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. So we're going to be paying 35% more for a new Ford pickup truck for punishment--LOL As taxes and costs are always passed onto the consumer. It would only make foreign manufactured cars that much more attractive to American consumers. That's the dumbest bullshit I ever heard of.

The problem has always been: That it costs much more to manufacture in this country that it does in foreign countries. Wages are higher. Employers are required to pay payroll taxes, unemployment insurance, workman's compensation insurance, health insurance, and a whole lot of other bullshit regulations attached to that. American corporations have to compete in a global economy. If they don't they're out of business. It's as simple as that.

Because of this American steel can't compete with China. The only way to fix this is to renegotiate trade deals, making certain that for every job loss here, the foreign country is giving us one back. But it may not be in manufacturing, because that will ALWAYS be done cheaper in a foreign country.

Tariff's have never created a single job in this country,

I suggest you read a history book before you make more of a fool of yourself...

Departure of Industry in America and the Need for Tariffs | Economy In Crisis

For much of America’s history, our government took its constitutional power to regulate commerce with foreign nations seriously. Tariffs were the major source of income for the federal government. More importantly, they helped to protect American industries from foreign competition and allowed America to become the world’s most productive nation.

Forum List

Back