Wow! FREE money!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Gdjjr, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Andylusion

Andylusion Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,088
    Again.... when you see something stupid, you move to stop the stupid, not increase it more.

I did read the links. It doesn't change anything I said.

When you see the Fed giving out money, the solution isn't to give out more money. The solution is to stop giving out money.

By the way.... yes the Fed gives out tons to people all over the country.

This is one of the goofy aspects of your argument. "The government gave money to the 1%. Did the government give money to you?"

Well if you are looking at the other 99% as a group... yes. In fact 58% of the Federal budget is all entitlement spending. So yes. They have given out $2 Trillion dollars plus in giveaways, every single year, for decades.

Quite frankly, comparing one year of TARP, to decades of all the entitlements... I would gladly trade saving Trillions in taxes, for TARP.

2. Andylusion

Andylusion Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,088
    Subsidizing Boeing?

I don't buy that. You sound like you are talking about the AOC version of spending subsidies. The left wing likes to mix a real subsidy, where you take money from Bob, to pay Tim, and what is really just a tax cut, where you get a reduced tax on say, a new manufacturing plant.

Denying a subsidy which is really a tax abatement, doesn't "cover" anyone. Amazon without the tax benefit, simply didn't build the offices in New York, and thus paid no tax. How can you "cover 4 million citizens a year" with zero tax money?

The rest of the money Boeing gets, as near as I can tell, is from contracts and research grants.

If you don't pay Boeing, they don't build the plane. If you don't pay Boeing, they don't design the new jet. This is how it works.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Bob Blaylock

Bob Blaylock Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,357
    To “set aside the problem of paying for it” is to completely miss the point of why conservatives (or anyone with even a vestigial understanding of basic economic principles) would object. If there was some bottomless magic money machine, from which we could get the money to give everyone $1,000 a month with no adverse economic effect, then yes, the UBI would be a great idea. More wealth, in the hands of more people, can only be a net benefit.

But only ignorant LIbErals think that the economy does or can work that way. The money has to come from somewhere, and wherever that money is taken from will be harmed, at least as much as where the money is sent is helped. To think that the economy can benefit, as a whole from such a program, is the economic equivalent of believing in a perpetual motion machine that can produce endless energy at no cost. It's just ignorant nonsense, nothing more.

ZSC_4085_1K.jpg

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gipper

gipper Libertarian/Anarchist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,932
    Tarp is peanuts. Why are you stuck on it? I haven’t mentioned it.

Do you think the fed would ever bail out the American people with $16 trillion dollars?

Citigroup – $2.513 trillion
    Morgan Stanley – $2.041 trillion
    Merrill Lynch – $1.949 trillion
    Bank of America – $1.344 trillion
    Barclays PLC – $868 billion
    Bear Sterns – $853 billion
    Goldman Sachs – $814 billion
    Royal Bank of Scotland – $541 billion
    JP Morgan Chase – $391 billion
    Deutsche Bank – $354 billion
    UBS – $287 billion
    Credit Suisse – $262 billion
    Lehman Brothers – $183 billion
    Bank of Scotland – $181 billion
    BNP Paribas – $175 billion
    Wells Fargo – $159 billion
    Dexia – $159 billion
    Wachovia – $142 billion
    Dresdner Bank – $135 billion
    Societe Generale – $124 billion
    “All Other Borrowers” – $2.639 trillion

5. Andylusion

Andylusion Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,088
    Again... when you see stupid, you oppose stupid, you don't promote more stupid.

And honestly, none of these people got that money.

When you say a corporation was bailed out, that is not the same as suggesting that the 1% got bailed out. The CEO of Wachovia for example, didn't walk away with billions in bailout money. Not true.

Instead he was kicked out, and ended up losing millions.

Now we all understand he had hundreds of millions, and so losing several million wasn't a big deal. But that doesn't change the fact, that he was not sitting on a beach collecting billions of dollars.

Instead it was the bond holders who got the bailout money.

Maybe you missed it, but most of the bailouts, didn't even go to the companies they bailed out. Wachovia doesn't exist. Bear Stearns doesn't exist. Lehman Brothers doesn't exist.

Additionally, you also seem to fail to realize that the government pressured banks to take bailout money. Even banks that were never in any trouble, had to take part in the program. In fact, the government tried to stop banks from paying back the money early.

And lastly, most banks paid back the money.
    As Biggest Banks Repay Bailout Money, the U.S. Sees a Profit

Again, as I said before, many banks were forced by the Fed, to take part in the bailout. That's why as early as 2009, banks were paying back the money.

Would you want all those people getting the welfare checks, to pay back the money they were given next year? Since you are using the money paid back from the bailouts as justification, then we should do the same for this, yes?

6. whitehall

whitehall Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,933
    Former democrat candidate Yang celebrated his withdraw from the campaign by squirting whipped cream into the mouths of supporters. Where do these guys come from and more importantly where is the money coming from?

7. Preacher

Preacher Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,642
    Its a success? So those getting it are improving their lives like going to college and being able to find better paying jobs? I somehow doubt it.

8. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Adamantium Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,985
    i hear ya....but i will gladly take the thousand a month....

• Agree Agree x 1