Would Romney really be that bad a President?

During my lifetime of almost 60 years, EVERY Presidential election has been nothing more than choosing between the "lesser of two evils", with the lone exception being 1980 and 1984, when I happily voted for Ronald Reagan twice.

People voting that way has been fantastic for the country, hasn't it?

Voting for radical community organizers with zero experience has been far worse, moron.

Right, because every problem the nation is facing developed only in the past 3 years. And the only solution is to vote for a slightly lesser evil that will just continue damaging the country.

Tell me again how always voting the lesser of two evils has helped?

I tend to think so. A lot of Republicans do too. He doesn't seem to exhibit any real understanding of the pressures that most Americans face. Not that President Obama has his finger on the pulse of America but if we expect our President to be somewhat engaged, Romney doesn't seem to be the guy.

YOU ARE AN OP, GO AWAY CANDYCORN!

YOU ARE EITHER AN GOVERNMENT OP, or one of the most stupid people I have ever encountered!!!

GO A WAY, TAKE YOUR PAY! GO TO HELL!

I tend to think so. A lot of Republicans do too. He doesn't seem to exhibit any real understanding of the pressures that most Americans face. Not that President Obama has his finger on the pulse of America but if we expect our President to be somewhat engaged, Romney doesn't seem to be the guy.

Romney may. Or Romney may not.

But Obama certainly acts like he does not.

So we have a choice. We have a guy who may or may not understand the pressures Americans face but does understand the pressures businesses face, and what businesses need to be more confident to create jobs, which helps alleviate the pressures Americans face.

Or, we have a guy who appears to neither understand the pressures Americans nor businesses face, thus seems to be at a loss on how to get job creation going again, and thus alleviate the pressures Americans face.

It doesn't seem to be that much of a choice if you look at it that way.

The guy who bets another guy $10K is "in touch"? Okay...

If that is "in touch" I'm curious what characteristics may signal being aloof.

I don't know if he is or not. What I know is that the current President has done a poor job. I'd rather have someone who is out of touch doing a good job than someone who is in touch doing a poor job.

I kind of wonder what makes for 'in touch.' Definitely not the guy who's relies only on theories and academic papers. Romney, for all his aloofness from the common herd has met payrolls, made mistakes, got his hands dirty. He has been at the pointy edge of economic theory.

So we have a choice. We have a guy who may or may not understand the pressures Americans face but does understand the pressures businesses face, and what businesses need to be more confident to create jobs, which helps alleviate the pressures Americans face.

Or, we have a guy who appears to neither understand the pressures Americans nor businesses face, thus seems to be at a loss on how to get job creation going again, and thus alleviate the pressures Americans face.

I don't know if he is or not. What I know is that the current President has done a poor job. I'd rather have someone who is out of touch doing a good job than someone who is in touch doing a poor job.

And you think Romney is that guy? Really?

Would Romney really be that bad a President?

The problem isn’t Romney, it’s the people he’d ‘bring’ into his administration; the judicial appointments, the various administrative postings (administrators, btw, who develop and implement the actual day to day policies, much of which a given president isn’t even aware of), and how those administrators would reprioritize and reorganize various policies.

Romney’s likely a decent man, but he’s too weak and indecisive, there’d be some Cheney-type running things from behind the curtain.

Besides, it’s too soon to go back to the nonsense of a republican administration, they’ll be back soon enough; the Nation needs another 4 year break from the idiocy of the GOP.

I think you bring up a good point. A guy like Romney is going to need technocrats around him because his experience is completely excecutive in nature. I think it would be more or less a Reagan structure to where the cabinet secretaries are pretty much running every decision with some pretty hienous results.

He's a Republican, isn't he?? Republicans have changed drastically. They want to take us back to the dark ages.

He'd be slightly worse then George W. Bush. At least with Bush..you got someone you could sorta like. :eusa_whistle:

And you think Obama is that guy? Really?

I think Obama is so far out of his depth, it's not funny. He has done an awful job IMHO. And I'm your typical independent and I supported him in 08.

I can't imagine Romney would be worse.

Romney is definately NOt the guy to beat OBama and Romney would be a train wreck of a President for our nation, the GOP and for conservatives who would be purged as much as possible from the party leadership.

I doubt he'd be much worse than Obama. Not much better either. Status quo for the 'win'?

He'd be better than Obama.... I wouldn't say he would make a "good" president tho.

Let's just say he is the lesser of the two evils...........

And that is EXACTLY why we keep having to choose between TWO FUCKING EVILS ever damned election.

You are falling for the Mutt and Jeff bullshit.

Vote for the Best Candidate, not against the worst candidate or nothing will ever get fixed.

"Sooner or later, every president makes you nostalgic for his predecessor." I'd imagine it would be no different with Romney.

He'd be slightly worse then George W. Bush. At least with Bush..you got someone you could sorta like. :eusa_whistle:

Yeah, he did make me laugh. And anyone that married Laura could not be all bad!!! But Romney??? No redeeming qualities that I can see.

He'd be better than Obama.... I wouldn't say he would make a "good" president tho.

Let's just say he is the lesser of the two evils...........
Unless you are among the One Percent I don't know why you would believe that. Romney would be in the same category as George W. Bush, i.e., generally distracted by personal interests and subordinate to the interests of his elitist "base."

The present political reality is our Nation has become divided between the rich and a declining middle class for whom the American dream is out of reach. The only thing capable of reversing that trend is aggressive emulation of FDR's radically progressive economic policies aimed at productive redistribution of America's wealth.

Romney would move in the opposite direction. So if you are a working class American, just what benefit are you expecting to derive from a Romney administration?

Poor job by what metric?

The last time we had a calamity in the financial world that was this big (and incidently caused by conservative republican laissez-faire economics), it took a war, a whole package of social programs and nearly a decade to recover.

So really Toro..what are you basing this on? Our own history? Or other countries?

Like Japan..who basically took a decade or so to recover from it's meltdown. Or Britain..who's still in a slump.

Yeah, he did make me laugh. And anyone that married Laura could not be all bad!!! But Romney??? No redeeming qualities that I can see.

Romney's already lining up old Bushies to populate his cabinet.

And you think Obama is that guy? Really?

I think Obama is so far out of his depth, it's not funny. He has done an awful job IMHO. And I'm your typical independent and I supported him in 08.

I can't imagine Romney would be worse.

So the man whom you opine is "out of his depth" so far that it isn't even funny is the standard you're assuming Romney will live "up" to?

I, too, and independent. I can't find a reason to vote for Romney or considering it other than one; he isn't Obama.

Look at his track record.

Born stinking rich; stayed stinking rich. Was a venture capitalist with money that he inherited. You can call his opinion changes flip flops and be correct about it although we all flip flop from time to time--the problem is this; he won't cop to it.

From what I can tell, his presidency where he says he will "balance the budget" will be done while increasing the military spending. We already spend nearly half of all monies spent on defense on this planet. Huh? His ideas for job creation are, from the looks of it, just reducing governmental regulations so the "anything goes" mentality will be back. I think we can agree that "anything goes" lead to the needs for the bail outs of Wall Street.

Am I wrong?

Poor job by what metric?

The last time we had a calamity in the financial world that was this big (and incidently caused by conservative republican laissez-faire economics), it took a war, a whole package of social programs and nearly a decade to recover.

So really Toro..what are you basing this on? Our own history? Or other countries?

Like Japan..who basically took a decade or so to recover from it's meltdown. Or Britain..who's still in a slump.

- He spent enormous political capital on health care reform that lead to a massive political defeat in 2010 and the loss of Ted Kennedy's seat in the Senate, which he had circumvented the rules of the Senate to pass, when he should have been focused like a laser on the economy.

- He has exacerbated the political tensions in Washington and in this country. If you blame the Tea Party and the Republicans solely for the level of vitriol in the political arena, you are as every bit as blindly partisan as anyone on the right.

- He has engaged in demonization and class warfare against the wealthy, both in rhetoric and in policy. I don't mind the better off paying more in taxes but some of his prescriptions have been bullshit politics, ie ending deductions on jets is nothing but class baiting garbage. He has been more political and divisive than Bush and Karl Rove were. And FTR, I supported Democrats pretty much across the board from 00 to 08.

- He seems to have little understanding of how the economy and business works. He does not get blame for the recession but his policies and rhetoric are impeding a recovery.

- His handling of the budget has been just awful. I mean, if he could pass one. This isn't about running trillion dollar deficits now. This is about the future. He has no plan at all to ever begin paying down the enormous debt we have put on. Run deficits now, pay them off later. He has forgotten the latter part. His abandonment of Simpson-Bowles speaks volumes. And let's not forget that he has completely ignored the entitlements ticking time bomb that is going to eventually explode.

- Lack of leadership brutally exposed during the debt ceiling debacle. Again, if you're just blaming the Tea Party for that, you are just as hyper partisan as anyone on the right. Our debt rating was downgraded on his watch. The buck stops with him. And the leadership vacuum coming out of the WH during that time was absolutely astonishing.

Great, we didn't get into any new ground wars. Good for him. But that's a pretty low bar. Otherwise, the Democrats have been a disaster.

Hey.. he's not really my conservative of choice....

But when this type of thing was said about Obamalama, most everyone on the left screamed it was not true or that it did not matter in the least...

So with you as a lefty, candycorn, I don't see what your issue would be

I'm happy to have that argument about which is more engaged with the man or woman on the street. "Corporations are people my friend" is not going to play in Peoria in a time of record corporate profits. Look, if you want to point to Obama as an elitist snob of the left wing, you could probably paint that picture pretty effectively. But it's hard to do that when you are running an elitist snob of the right wing--on steroids-- as the counter-balance.

So Obama stole his money while in office the last 7 years and Romney earned his the hard way.

Obama has acted like a king riding around in limos, his wife taking European shopping vacations, trips to Martha's Vinyard, Hawaiin vacations several times a year, rides around in the biggest private-jet in the world, doesn't even bother to own his own car and he's a man of the people?

:muahaha:

Forum List

Back