World's 1st rotating skyscraper

TheOldSchool

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
last stop for sanity before reaching the south
No way in hell could you get me to stay in that building. Voice activated spinning floors? No thanks!

3D4CCDAB00000578-4231698-image-a-163_1487262603244.jpg

Rotating Dubai skyscraper to be built in 2020 | Daily Mail Online

I hear they are developing drones as airborne transport throughout the city.

Like, I would get on any pilotless aircraft ...

Doesn't Seattle have a skyscraper with a rotating top floor? I have been to the Top of the Mark is San Francisco and the restaurant rotates.

Anchorage has a rotating theme place built in the 60s, the floor inside the room rotated to give 360 degree views out the windows. Was a neat place, believe it used to be called the Carousel Lounge, they did upscale appetizers and stuff, but the owners retired and sold. A bar bought it, I think it's called... the Office Lounge now (maybe? I don't drink so I don't do the bar scene.)

No way in hell could you get me to stay in that building. Voice activated spinning floors? No thanks!

3D4CCDAB00000578-4231698-image-a-163_1487262603244.jpg

Rotating Dubai skyscraper to be built in 2020 | Daily Mail Online

I would love to meet the Structural engineering group that figured out the loads and logistics for this. Between the addition of MOVING PARTS to the static structure of a building, To the infinite variations created on wind loading, to the multiple trap points for water infiltration (i guess each floor has to be a self contained, weatherproof unit?) I am wary of the unknowns involved.

Building designers like nice, measurable, and if possible constant forces to deal with. This thing has an infinite variation to it.

On a more serious note, Dubai and many other countries are absolutely killing us on "national points of pride monuments" like this. It's almost embarrassing how amazing the buildings over there are. President Trump is probably cringing given his personal love of modern architecture and how far America has fallen from being the "head of the class" when it came to global construction wonders.

On the other hand, I've heard their "standards" for engineering are not as... cautious as ours heh

Forum List

Back