World Realignment

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Since at least 2002, the way the world powers are acting is much more reminiscent of the prelude to WWI than any other modern conflict. While I don't agree with all of the following article, the new alliances make sense to me:

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/51864.htm

2. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I like this guy, I really do. His book "To Rule The Waves" was excellent reading. However, this is just plain scare mongering.

Russia knows (and we know they know, and they know we know) that in the end, all of this relationship with China is merely a delay tactic. they're buying time until they can get their country back together, reform and reconstitute their military and regain their diplomatic and economic footing. they know they run the risk of being china's junior partner, and they know in the end, they have a lot of what china wants in territory and resources. they're buying time.

Russia can and should be a useful ally in the future. If we antagonize them needlessly and act as their enemy, then we run the risk of them seriously misreading them as badly as we are with them, and that's how wars get started.

Besides, above all else, those war games were a big sales demonstration. Russia is trying to sell everything it can off its shelves, and China's an eager buyer.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Good assessment!