Work

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
One of perhaps the most important lessons to be found in (some) sports is the value and experience of hard work - truly hard work. How many people reach adulthood without ever experiencing what it's like to push themselves beyond their own perceived limits physically and mentally? Important things to be learned in that place too few people ever explore.

Last edited:
Point made. How much better it is when young people work hard at something more significant than a stupid game? Academics, perhaps? Mastering a trade?

My problem with many sports is that at the highest levels players are taught to bend the rules. And if they don't, they often lose.

One of perhaps the most important lessons to be found in (some) sports is the value and experience of hard work - truly hard work. How many people reach adulthood without ever experiencing what it's like to push themselves beyond their own perceived limits physically and mentally? Important things to be learned in that place too few people ever explore.
Eh, sports teaches many things but hard work? Not buying it. In one of my foster homes I "worked" on a farm. Baleing hay, branding livestock, milking cows, repairing fencing.

That was hard work. Sports was sports.

Eh, sports teaches many things but hard work? Not buying it. In one of my foster homes I "worked" on a farm. Baleing hay, branding livestock, milking cows, repairing fencing.

You don't understand what I'm talking about, but I'm sure you learned from your experience.

Consider soccer, or as the world refers to it, "football."

A typical American kid who wants to excel in soccer will play for a number of teams during the course of a year, and will attend some clinics. His parents will seek out the best coaches and try to get the kid onto their teams. They will travel hundreds of miles for tournaments and other competitions. They will encourage the kid to do individual skills drills to supplement all that.

And for what, exactly? To possibly get a college scholarship? WGAS?

Take the same amount of time and effort to study math and science, and the kid would be much, much further ahead.

But to your point, showing a kid that intensive effort can pay off on the playing field is a good lesson to be known. I played on one very successful team in my yoot and I carry the lessons within me to this day. We didn't have any great athletes, no one who played professionally, or even in Div I, but we had success because we played harder than our opponents, and we were better disciplined. Crazy coach, of course, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Anyone who thinks there is some mutual exclusivity between working hard physically and working hard academically just doesn't get it, and probably never did much of either.

I can tell you from experience in working hard and playing sports.....Take care of yourself, it never will last...

Point made. How much better it is when young people work hard at something more significant than a stupid game?...

You miss the point.
What an ass. Tell him the point then asshole

That you don't know just proves yet again what a fraud you are.
Dgs49’s comment didn’t seem so bad you had to be a krunt.

Do you notice your threads go knowhere? Maybe if you weren’t a dick.

Wrestling changed my life.

With your perspective I agree.
But then I participated in sports and baled hay in the summer.

I also raced BMX to the point of having sponsers and pushed my limits on road bikes,as in miles per day.
Sometimes reaching well over one hundred miles a day.
I believe self torture,put in athletic terms is as big of an accomplishment as some Religious accomplishments these days.
They both specialize in endurance which is good for the soul.

Point made. How much better it is when young people work hard at something more significant than a stupid game?...

You miss the point.

You never wrestled.

You miss the point.

You never wrestled.
Yes I did. All state my senior year. Started in tenth grade and wrestling got me into college. Stupid

Forum List

Back