Women seeking abortion in Nebraska face another roadblock.

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Anguille, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    The bill requires a doctor or other health professional to screen women to determine whether they are being pressured into having abortions. Doctors also must assess whether women have risk factors that could lead to mental or physical problems after an abortion.

The bill is unusual, however, in spelling out what doctors must look for. They include any risk factors cited in peer-reviewed journals indexed by two major medical and scientific listing services during the year before a planned abortion. The risks could be “physical, psychological, emotional, demographic, or situational,’’ according to the bill.

“It’s very difficult to know for certain if you’re complying with this bill,’’ said Kyle Carlson, a lawyer for Planned Parenthood of the Heartland. “There’s an undetermined amount of documentation you have to go through to know all the . . . risk factors.’’

Neb. to require mental health, other screenings before abortions - The Boston Globe

Sounds like this law opens up all sorts of opportunity for abuse of patient rights. Not to mention opportunities for lawsuits.

2. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Sounds like the law won't stand constitutional muster, but I see nothing wrong with attempting to make sure that the mother is healthy enough to have an abortion both physically and mentally.

However, I agree, it sounds as if there is wide latitude for abuse of patient right.

On the other hand, since she need only go to an abortionist who is more concerned with the fees for the abortion and since the abortionist will be doing the evaluating... I don't see that much is going to change. The abortionist will simply charge extra fees to do the evaluating and still perform the abortion.

Immie

3. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,118
    Most Doctor offices have both, the Gyno that performs abortions and the gyno/obstetrician that follows the woman's pregnancy throughout her term.

The Doctor's Office makes MORE MONEY from the woman keeping her baby and going through the 9 months of pregnancy with routine doctor appointments than on the one time abortion.... I am not certain money comes in to play the way you think, Immanuel....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    And those fees will go to pay extra insurance in case soime one decides to sue the doctor claiming the doctor failed to identify some psychological reason why the patient should not have an abortion.

5. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    That is funny since I do not believe that Planned Parenthood (the countries largest abortion provider) does all that much birthing. PP does not make more money bringing a child to term as mothers who go to full term, tend to find doctors at hospitals for those services.

Also, notice who it was that the article went to for an opposition viewpoint... not a doctor but Planned Parenthood.

Immie

6. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Some of those fees will, but I am sure not all of those fees will. It is called "markup"

Immie

7. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,118
    I guess you'd be wrong....they do provide prenatal care...

Prenatal Care for Pregnant Teens - Planned Parenthood

8. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Oh do they now?

Good for them. They still make more money destroying life than bringing it into the world.

Immie

9. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,769
    somebody needs to teach her about condoms.. condoms prevent abortion.

10. nraforlife

nraforlife Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Oh boo fucking wooo it is going to be harder to kill babies in Nebraska