Woman Removed From Southwest Flight Due To Offensive Shirt

acludem said:
There is a big difference between a shirt that attacks political figures and one that attacks an entire race of people. Having a shirt with a picture of the Bush's on it that says "Meet the Fuckers" is way different than a shirt that says "fuck the Muslims". One is satirical and a play on a movie title, the other is an outright attack on entire religious group.

acludem

Wrong. That's just the point. There is total free speech or not. As long as I don't attack Muslims, I should be able to depict anything I like, including a pick of Mecca made out of shit. It's fine to do with Mary or Jesus, so it should be protected. That's the ACLU way.

Difference is, they don't see it that way and those that use them, wouldn't lodge a complaint, but rather probably physically harm me. Which is why I wouldn't wear such a shirt in the first place. Yet, you and the organization you cheer for, use any cause to make it look like those that are under attack and complain, are just hatemongers.

Guess what? Some of us are really pissed and are going to start pressing back.

acludem said:
There is a big difference between a shirt that attacks political figures and one that attacks an entire race of people. Having a shirt with a picture of the Bush's on it that says "Meet the Fuckers" is way different than a shirt that says "fuck the Muslims". One is satirical and a play on a movie title, the other is an outright attack on entire religious group.

acludem
Why do I think you would have supported the free speech of the t-shirt with Bush in the bull's eye, dripping red? Hypocrite.

GotZoom said:
My problem is "fuck" - I don't care what follows it.
I won't disagree, but I wanted to make a point of the hypocrisy at work with the ACLU. Sorry if it was offensive to you or anyone.

Kathianne said:
I won't disagree, but I wanted to make a point of the hypocrisy at work with the ACLU. Sorry if it was offensive to you or anyone.

Oh no....no worries...no offense taken at all.

If you look up the word hypocrisy in the dictionary, it will say: See ACLU.

GotZoom said:
Oh no....no worries...no offense taken at all.

If you look up the word hypocrisy in the dictionary, it will say: See ACLU.
:thup: Yeah, that was the point! :laugh:

ACLU----------- :chains:

ACLU... :arabia:
Allah's Concubine Lover Unconditionally.... :banned:

maybe acludem would order a few!

speederdoc said:
Perhaps the PETA-approved paint splashing maneuver would have been appropriate.
Perfect, Doc!!! and since they do it, what can they say?
Nevermind, they'll come up with something...I still love it though!

I'll use pink paint symbolic of....well you know, what they are... :eek:

I agree with everyone here who feels that the shirt is offensive, that it denotes that this woman has a severe lack of personal respect, not to mention respect of others, and that private businesses should be allowed to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

However... ;)

I'm not quite sure I understand why someone's ridiculous t-shirt should raise such a fuss. I am apt to see this as a freedom of speech/expression issue. Is the woman an idiot? Absolutely. But - Does she have the right to show everyone around her just how big an idiot she truly is? Absolutely.

She wasn't threatening the President, nor any member of his family. So whats the issue? If she was walking on to the plane screaming - EVERYONE LOOK AT ME!!! READ MY SHIRT!!! READ IT!!!! LOOK AT IT!!!! Then yes, I could see the airlines booting her butt off the plane for being a disturbance...but kicking her off for simply being inappropriately dressed? Hell...I've sat next to people so big they were half in my seat, people with BO so bad I asked to be moved to the back of the plane next to the bathroom, people who insisted on reading everything I was working on on my laptop over my shoulder, and people who insistend on chatting with me when I was obvioulsy involved in my book...WHY WEREN'T THESE ASSHOLES BOOTED?!?! I would much rather sit next to an idiot with a Bush-hating shirt than someone who smelled, was too big for the seat, or was annoying...

I don't know...I'm certainly open to having my mind changed about this one...but for right now, I see it more as an over-reaction to an idiot than the right decision.

acludem said:

acludem

So what? If you or others else don't like it, you can always look up.

Gem said:
I agree with everyone here who feels that the shirt is offensive, that it denotes that this woman has a severe lack of personal respect, not to mention respect of others, and that private businesses should be allowed to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

However... ;)

I'm not quite sure I understand why someone's ridiculous t-shirt should raise such a fuss. I am apt to see this as a freedom of speech/expression issue. Is the woman an idiot? Absolutely. But - Does she have the right to show everyone around her just how big an idiot she truly is? Absolutely.

She wasn't threatening the President, nor any member of his family. So whats the issue? If she was walking on to the plane screaming - EVERYONE LOOK AT ME!!! READ MY SHIRT!!! READ IT!!!! LOOK AT IT!!!! Then yes, I could see the airlines booting her butt off the plane for being a disturbance...but kicking her off for simply being inappropriately dressed? Hell...I've sat next to people so big they were half in my seat, people with BO so bad I asked to be moved to the back of the plane next to the bathroom, people who insisted on reading everything I was working on on my laptop over my shoulder, and people who insistend on chatting with me when I was obvioulsy involved in my book...WHY WEREN'T THESE ASSHOLES BOOTED?!?! I would much rather sit next to an idiot with a Bush-hating shirt than someone who smelled, was too big for the seat, or was annoying...

I don't know...I'm certainly open to having my mind changed about this one...but for right now, I see it more as an over-reaction to an idiot than the right decision.

Gem, I won't disagree, but then my shirt should also be allowed, right?

Kathianne said:
Wrong. That's just the point. There is total free speech or not. As long as I don't attack Muslims, I should be able to depict anything I like, including a pick of Mecca made out of shit. It's fine to do with Mary or Jesus, so it should be protected. That's the ACLU way.
I totally agree. Your post reminded me of this shirt:

I agree with GotZoom....my problem with the F*ckers shirt is more with the language than the message. I support the right of any company to refuse to offer service to those wearing inappropriate attire.

fuck is an offensive word, fuck the president is an offensive statement.

you are more than welcome to use them however you see fit, but there are consequenseces to actions.

if i am on an airplane with my 7 year olde son who can read and would understand the shirt

i too can express my freedom of speech and complain.

in turn the owners of the airline have the right to:

a: tell me to get over it

b: refuse service to anyone they like

Lets also not forget the freedoms of a business owner. If I use my money to create a buisness, I can exercise my right to NOT do business with anyone I want(with the exception of it being based soley on race, sex ect.). Flying on an airplane is not a "right", if you don't like the rules of a private company, then go find another one.

An airline is a private company and can set its own standards. If you want to wear a shirt with a cuss word on it, fly Hooters Air. However, a normal airline would lose more business than they would keep by allowing that shirt to stay on the plane. They would also lose more business than they'd keep by kicking out somebody for wearing a religious symbol. They made a business decision, end of story.

Hobbit said:
An airline is a private company and can set its own standards. If you want to wear a shirt with a cuss word on it, fly Hooters Air. However, a normal airline would lose more business than they would keep by allowing that shirt to stay on the plane. They would also lose more business than they'd keep by kicking out somebody for wearing a religious symbol. They made a business decision, end of story.
Exactly.

acludem said:

acludem

It really doesn't matter who the swear word was refering to. The fact is she is wearing a shirt with an offensive word. I don't need my kids reading that kind of trash on an airplane. Asking her to turn her shirt inside out is completely reasonable.

Trigg said:
It really doesn't matter who the swear word was refering to. The fact is she is wearing a shirt with an offensive word. I don't need my kids reading that kind of trash on an airplane. Asking her to turn her shirt inside out is completely reasonable.

A piece of masking or duct tape over part of one word would have resolved the problem. As soon as she reached her destination she has every right to take the tape off and offend as she wills, but as long as she is on a privately owned plane (companies are privately owned) she would have to follow their rules in order to fly on it.

Forum List

Back