Woman Loses Benefits Over Facebook Photos

"Major depression"? Are you kidding me? People expect to get a paid vacation and medical benefits for having "major depression"?

Depression can be debilitating however it seems this person is no longer clinically depressed, if she ever was, and was simply taking advantage of her "condition".
Busted!!

It may be true that she was dealing with some issues but going out like that and then being happy enough about it to post it on facebook while you know you are collecting disablity, that takes Gall.

Actually, people with depression do tend to have highs and lows, emotionally. They are prone to sometimes acting like they are super happy, and then they crash. My ex husband had some form of depression, and he would seem genuinely happy on some days, and on other days (equally) he would be absolutely suicidal.

So, just because her medication is helping her to have a better than 50% happy ratio, does not altogether mean that she is okay to go into work, or should lose benefits, especially based on some pictures of two events that she smiled about, for God's sake.

Your comments are pretty much the equivalent to saying that someone with full-blown AIDS on disability, who once was bed-ridden, on disability (which the employee PAYS for in the first place, no less), whose antiviral drugs and nutritionist has gotten them to only having very advanced HIV, needing to go back to work.. because what a bunch of GALL that asshole has for posting his success on Facebook or MySpace, that he is now free of AIDS.

And in case anyone on here is STILL so ignorant as to believe that HIV and AIDS are the same damn thing, heres a little education for ya: HIV is a virus that attacks the immune system, specifically the white blood cells. Those are also called "T-Cells". When a persons WBC (white blood count, also called a T-cell count) from a specimen comes below 200 white blood cells, then, and only then, are they considered AIDS patients. Yes, AIDS is caused by first getting the HIV virus, but more often than not, it is the secondary infections caused by a weakened immune system that actually lead to the person getting so dilapidated that they end up with the disease called AIDS.

For the love of Jesus.

Whether or not she is technically sick, How do you all feel about the insurance Company using facebook pictures as justification to end her policy?

"Major depression"? Are you kidding me? People expect to get a paid vacation and medical benefits for having "major depression"?

Depression can be debilitating however it seems this person is no longer clinically depressed, if she ever was, and was simply taking advantage of her "condition".
Busted!!

It may be true that she was dealing with some issues but going out like that and then being happy enough about it to post it on facebook while you know you are collecting disablity, that takes Gall.

So, the chick had a happy day. She posted it to her page to remind herself of her happy day and show her friends she could have one. A breakthrough! Maybe she should go back to work, maybe she can, but I think it should be up to her doctor and not the insurance company.

A note on social networking sites: your employer scans that shit too. Stupid places to express yourselves, as every word can and will be held against you. I don't think that is correct, but much of what is incorrect is legal.

Whether or not she is technically sick, How do you all feel about the insurance Company using facebook pictures as justification to end her policy?

Its asinine, and won't hold up under a challenge. Especially if that challenge comes from her doctor. They'll be lucky if they don't get a fine for fucking around that way (or at least charged with the legal fees to fight it). Progress isn't a sign of insurance fraud.

I just joined facebook and found people I haven't seen in 30 years.

It was a complete shock.

I also found out my best friend in high school was killed in a motorcycle crash in June.

It was wrong of the insurance company to do what they did based on a photo or two. Like the above poster said, it should be up to her doctor. A photo is a snap shot of a moment in life and doesnt represent the whole.

Manulife wouldn't comment on Blanchard's case, but did say they would not deny or terminate a claim solely based on information published on websites such as Facebook.
I should hope not. Whether this woman was pulling a scam or was genuinely sick, a doctor's evaluation, not some online snapshots, should be the determining factor.

I agree. How many of us work with a bad back? How many really sick people with cancer show up every day?

A few of my girlfriends were cured of depression. They got a divorce. Lol

Im not sympathetic. I've had bouts of depression. There have been days I didnt want to go to work. Well guess what, bills need to be paid. Work needs to be done. Taking "sick" leave isnt an option. This is the real world. We dont have the luxary to take off work just because we are depressed. Heck, most of us dont have the luxary of taking off work when we are unable to move in bed.

We need to stop coddling people and get them back to work. Because something Ive learned about depression, it gets worse if you are sitting around doing absolutely nothing. I know this from personal experience. Give me something to do, even if i dont want to do it, and ill be alot less depressed then if I stay at home on "sick" leave.

All types of people have issues, whether mental, physicla, emotional etc. You need to learn to deal with them and function in society. Not leach off it.

As for the Facebook stuff, well she should have kept her page private. People put tons of stuff on facebook and myspace and other pages like that they probably shouldnt put up there. I was talking to an attorney friend of mine. He said the first thing you should do if you get a client is check out their facebook or myspace page. He had pages of documentations of some alleged victims planning drug sales and scams on facebook. People are stupid. She got caught.
You certainly are cold hearted. If you actually experienced bouts of depression, as you claim, it sounds like you might be a functioning depressive. Lucky for you that you were never so ill you couldn't make it to work. Some depressed people manage to pull themselves out of bed as you have done but instead of going to work, they kill themselves.

Any disease that causes people so much pain that they take their own lives in order to put an end to the agony should be taken seriously and not dismmissed as leaching off society.

Its asinine, and won't hold up under a challenge. Especially if that challenge comes from her doctor. They'll be lucky if they don't get a fine for fucking around that way (or at least charged with the legal fees to fight it). Progress isn't a sign of insurance fraud.
Exactly.

Facebook websites accurately depict people posting on them. LOL!

And any person who is too ill to work should be hospitalized or under 24 hour.care.
That would be costly and unnecessary too. Only people in danger of harming themselves or incapable of caring for themselves need to be hospitalized, INO. But I'm not a doctor. Or at least I claim not to be one on a message board. :lol:

When are people going to learn NOT to put this crap on facebook, myspace, youtube, etc. We had a similar thing happen with one of our staff. She was on leave for an alleged work related injury, and posted photos of her on the beach in Cancun. Now she's mad because her FMLA and WC claims were denied.

Just like those two idiots that crashed the WH dinner. They bragged about what they did and posted photos on facebook to prove it. Now they're in hot water, facing criminal charges. Too bad they can't be charged for sheer stupidity.

Forum List

Back