Woman Loses Benefits Over Facebook Photos

When are people going to learn NOT to put this crap on facebook, myspace, youtube, etc. We had a similar thing happen with one of our staff. She was on leave for an alleged work related injury, and posted photos of her on the beach in Cancun. Now she's mad because her FMLA and WC claims were denied.

Just like those two idiots that crashed the WH dinner. They bragged about what they did and posted photos on facebook to prove it. Now they're in hot water, facing criminal charges. Too bad they can't be charged for sheer stupidity.

I never really believed our stove was as hot as mom said either until I touched it.

When are people going to learn NOT to put this crap on facebook, myspace, youtube, etc. We had a similar thing happen with one of our staff. She was on leave for an alleged work related injury, and posted photos of her on the beach in Cancun. Now she's mad because her FMLA and WC claims were denied.

Just like those two idiots that crashed the WH dinner. They bragged about what they did and posted photos on facebook to prove it. Now they're in hot water, facing criminal charges. Too bad they can't be charged for sheer stupidity.

I never really believed our stove was as hot as mom said either until I touched it.

Eh?

lol sorry I'm not getting your post...

Eh?

lol sorry I'm not getting your post...

just a minor point about experience being a great teacher---the consequences of doing something dumb are great incentives not to do it again---for normal people anyway

And any person who is too ill to work should be hospitalized or under 24 hour.care.

Not necessarily. And one of my big pet peeves is when people come to work sick and spread their cooties around to the rest of us.

I agree. And of course I was exaggerating. But I honestly believe that "permanent or long term disability" needs to be investigated frequently. Anyone who is too depressed to work may be suicidal. Hence they need constant monitoring. That might scare off a few scammers.

In NJ, high school students are only permitted 18 days "unexcused" without a doctor's note. However, it seems doctors will write notes for just about anything. We had a student out for a year for "school phobia". We had one who got 30 notes from his dentist. I am tutoring a girl who is exempt from school because she can't take her Ritalin while pregnant. It's ridiculous how easy it is. I could go to my doctor today and tell him I was depressed. And he would believe me. Anyone need any Xanax? :lol:

And any person who is too ill to work should be hospitalized or under 24 hour.care.

Not necessarily. And one of my big pet peeves is when people come to work sick and spread their cooties around to the rest of us.

I agree. And of course I was exaggerating. But I honestly believe that "permanent or long term disability" needs to be investigated frequently. Anyone who is too depressed to work may be suicidal. Hence they need constant monitoring. That might scare off a few scammers.

In NJ, high school students are only permitted 18 days "unexcused" without a doctor's note. However, it seems doctors will write notes for just about anything. We had a student out for a year for "school phobia". We had one who got 30 notes from his dentist. I am tutoring a girl who is exempt from school because she can't take her Ritalin while pregnant. It's ridiculous how easy it is. I could go to my doctor today and tell him I was depressed. And he would believe me. Anyone need any Xanax? :lol:

lol

Not so much with the population of patients I deal with exclusively now (oncology), but over the years I've dealt with many who were "disabled"... and I admit, I get a bit perturbed at these people 10-15 (or more) years younger than me sucking up the drugs and being waited on hand and foot while I drag my ass up and down the halls.

lol

Not so much with the population of patients I deal with exclusively now (oncology), but over the years I've dealt with many who were "disabled"... and I admit, I get a bit perturbed at these people 10-15 (or more) years younger than me sucking up the drugs and being waited on hand and foot while I drag my ass up and down the halls.

Single working moms don't see a choice there--they can only keep working and meeting the bills! I often saw that myself--I didn't see lying in bed all day everyday as an option, even if I was depressed.

lol

Single working moms don't see a choice there--they can only keep working and meeting the bills! I often saw that myself--I didn't see lying in bed all day everyday as an option, even if I was depressed.

Exactly. I know there are those who have a major depression where they wouldn't be able to work. Thing is, they sure as hell wouldn't be doing much of anything else, either.

I think it's suspicious. I think their investigation should have been a little more comprehensive than facebook photos before the insurance company changed her diagnosis from "Major Depressive Disorder" to "malingering".

lol

A blue day isnt depression.

lol

No, but many depressed people have someone else to pick up the slack--whether it's a parent, friend, spouse--there's always someone else to pay the bills and take care of things.

No, but many depressed people have someone else to pick up the slack--whether it's a parent, friend, spouse--there's always someone else to pay the bills and take care of things.

That is true and if left untreated, it wouldnt matter.

Maybe I have become cynical, but it seems to be there are way too many people using anti-depressants and other drugs, and if they would just get out of themselves and start DOING something, or have to worry about someone OTHER than themselves, they would feel much better. I remember my dad saying one time that he and his siblings wouldn't have dreamed of telling their parents they were depressed or feeling low. They knew their parents had a lot on their plate and the kids learned to work and take care of themselves. These days, kids are much more coddled --and surprise--much more into themselves and their feelings. They need to get a grip and start doing something that doesn't involve how they feel. They'll feel much better for it.

Maybe I have become cynical, but it seems to be there are way too many people using anti-depressants and other drugs, and if they would just get out of themselves and start DOING something, or have to worry about someone OTHER than themselves, they would feel much better. I remember my dad saying one time that he and his siblings wouldn't have dreamed of telling their parents they were depressed or feeling low. They knew their parents had a lot on their plate and the kids learned to work and take care of themselves. These days, kids are much more coddled --and surprise--much more into themselves and their feelings. They need to get a grip and start doing something that doesn't involve how they feel. They'll feel much better for it.

More people are taking medication for depression now because the medications exist. They didnt used to, or at least, they werent "really" antidepressants. Most were addictive drugs that just made you feel good.

Nowadays, the drugs are more effective and do the job they are supposed to do.

Back in your dads days suicide rate was higher. Probably because of the lack of medication.

Kids need to be healthy inside and out. If they ignore the inside they ignore a very important part of themselves.

A depressed person sometimes doesnt even know they are depressed. They can go years and years without knowing. Hopefully, they read something or hear something that helps them see the light. Even after they know its a difficult journey.

Dick Cavett had depression and having read a book by him about it, he sums it up pretty well if youd like to watch a short thing with him here, it starts at about 2:30 in...-

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66lMuES2wjA[/ame]

More people are taking medication for depression now because the medications exist. They didnt used to, or at least, they werent "really" antidepressants. Most were addictive drugs that just made you feel good.

Nowadays, the drugs are more effective and do the job they are supposed to do.

Back in your dads days suicide rate was higher. Probably because of the lack of medication.

Kids need to be healthy inside and out. If they ignore the inside they ignore a very important part of themselves.

A depressed person sometimes doesnt even know they are depressed. They can go years and years without knowing. Hopefully, they read something or hear something that helps them see the light. Even after they know its a difficult journey.

Dick Cavett had depression and having read a book by him about it, he sums it up pretty well if youd like to watch a short thing with him here, it starts at about 2:30 in...-

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66lMuES2wjA[/ame]

I don't know that the suicide rate was higher in the 40's and 50's. I do know that most of the women in my neighborhood were on tranquilizers--they were prescribed like candy in the 50's and 60's. Sort of confirms what I mentioned earlier--these women were all "housewives" and didn't have to worry about how to pay the mortgage and the other bills. Personally, I don't think it is bad for a person to go through low periods as well as happy periods. It's something we all have to do at times. But we all don't have the luxury to curl up in a ball and let someone else take over our lives.

Forum List

Back