Woman denied prescription to end pregnancy............

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Saw this on the evening news tonight. Seems that a Walgreens pharmacist refused to fill a prescription for a woman to end a pregnancy. She was told at 10 weeks, the fetus had stopped developing and wasn't alive anymore. They then offered her an abortion to remove the dead fetus, or she could take medication and be at home to end the pregnancy.

The pharmacist refused on religious grounds. Fortunately, he was fired.

Does anyone else think that one person's religious beliefs should be able to override a prescription for someone else? I don't.

Pharmacist accused of denying woman prescription to end pregnancy

Religious ethics is part of the greater medical ethics question. The physicians oath is to 'Do no harm'.

Any nurse, pharmacist, or other medical practitioner is duty bound to reject to implement a physician's medical orders if they have reason to believe it will do harm.

Saw this on the evening news tonight. Seems that a Walgreens pharmacist refused to fill a prescription for a woman to end a pregnancy. She was told at 10 weeks, the fetus had stopped developing and wasn't alive anymore. They then offered her an abortion to remove the dead fetus, or she could take medication and be at home to end the pregnancy.

Does anyone else think that one person's religious beliefs should be able to override a prescription for someone else? I don't.

If the baby was already dead, I don't know why she was refused unless the pharmacist didn't want to have any part of finishing the baby off and if that was their frame of mind, they are who I stand with. Anyone who kills a defenseless fetus which is still another person no matter how you look at it, they can go and soak their heads for all that I care.

God bless you and the pharmacist always!!!

Holly

P.S. For those who do not want kids, there's this thing called abstinence. Look it up. You can actually save your life that way too without having to destroy another during the process.

Religious ethics is part of the greater medical ethics question. The physicians oath is to 'Do no harm'.

Any nurse, pharmacist, or other medical practitioner is duty bound to reject to implement a physician's medical orders if they have reason to believe it will do harm.

In the course of my life------way back----I refused to clear a 12 year old
boy for "boxing lessons" The kid was black and the mother accused
me of being a RACIST--------I am a mother and----another profession that recognizes the danger of REPEATED KNOCKS ON THE HEAD. I would not let my kid engage in BOXING ---nor would I clear a little black kid for the DANGEROUS activity

But in this case the baby had died so there is no harm!

She got the meds from another pharmacy, both sides of this issue were able to uphold their viewpoints.

The pharmacist was doing harm to the woman.

Parents who for religious reason withhold medical care for children are doing harm.

Those types of people should be hung in the public square.

How do you know this?

Again, I don't know the full details but it seems curious that a physician was prescribing a drug to induce termination when the regular procedure for a miscarriage is a D&C to remove any fetal tissue that could complicate a future pregnancy.

Miscarriages are common so there must be something happening here that isn't being reported that caused the pharmacist be unwilling to prescribe a medication. We might never know the facts of the case and some of us will make snap judgements based on our belief system.

Again, I don't know the full details but it seems curious that a physician was prescribing a drug to induce termination when the regular procedure for a miscarriage is a D&C to remove any fetal tissue that could complicate a future pregnancy.

Miscarriages are common so there must be something happening here that isn't being reported that caused the pharmacist be unwilling to prescribe a medication. We might never know the facts of the case and some of us will make snap judgements based on our belief system.
Totally agree. Had to reread the story because it seems women no longer have miscarriages?

This IS a CNN "STORY" so we may never know what really happened.

There is much too much of these pharmacists trying to dominate other people's lives these days, and there is no way for a person to know when she is going to run in to one of these people. Customers should not be placed in the position of having an uncalled-for emotional experience in public and then having to go driving around just to accommodate some stranger's beliefs.This pharmacist had no right to ask this woman personal questions or require her to explain herself. She had no obligation to him whatsoever. I hope that it is true that he was fired.

Moreover, the store should have arranged for the prescription be delivered to her home.

There is much too much of these pharmacists trying to dominate other people's lives these days
No, they are NOT "dominating other people's lives." They are simply making personal choices for their OWN LIFE, which you clearly insist on dominating.

Why am I not at all surprised to find you calling for people to be put to death for their religious/moral values?
Anyone who murders or seriously harms someone else are not permitted to hide behind religion. That's no excuse. The Spanish did that in Mexico. The Puritans and Pilgrims did that in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. The Inquisition did that in Europe. The Mormons did that in Illinois and Utah Territory.

Why am I not at all surprised to find you calling for people to be put to death for their religious/moral values?

“Everyone carries a shadow, and the less it is embodied in the individual’s conscious life, the blacker and denser it is. At all counts, it forms an unconscious snag, thwarting our most well-meant intentions.”
(Carl Jung)

Forum List

Back