Wizard of OZ and the Gold Standard

sagegirl

Oct 11, 2004
Just saw a posting about Pink Flloyd and the Wizard of Oz. Reminded me of...

A while back I heard a great rendition of the theory that the Wizard of Oz was all about the gold standard hence the oz, the yellow brick road, etc. and all the characters were portrayals of historical figures involved in the debate about the gold standard. I cant link to that particular story but got a bunch of hits just putting in Wizard of Oz and gold standard. Interesting stuff.

It is about the gold standard. That was the entire purpose of the book in the first place and EVERYTHING was symbolic.

Dorothy was the American citizen, lost in a strange world they knew nothing about (economics).

The scarecrow was the American farmer, trying to break out of his rut by getting an education (a brain).

The tin man was the factory worker, longing for more time to spend with the family (a heart).

The cowardly lion was the man who ran on the silver standard and lost, looking for the courage to continue his political dreams.

All were told that the gold standard (yellow brick road) would get them there, but, in the book, the yellow brick road went absolutely nowhere (the author favored the silver standard).

The witches of the west and north, as well as the poppy field, also represented something, but I can't remember what.

The emerald city was Washington, where the only thing anyone could see was money (green, hence the green sunglasses in the book).

The horse they rode in on that changed its color with mood represented the fickle politicians (not unlike Kerry).

The wizard represented the voice of reason, pointing out that these things they wanted, they had had all along. Oh, and in the book, Dorothy's slippers were silver (silver standard).

I'm sure you can look up the full symbolism online, but I'm too lazy to do it right now.

I don't care so much for the gold standard, but I'd like to hear more about this pink floyd post...

Oh right. About Dark Side syncing up with Wizard of Oz. I heard that was total bullshit. Never tried it myself because it's super lame.

Last edited:
I don't care so much for the gold standard, but I'd like to hear more about this pink floyd post...

Oh right. About Dark Side syncing up with Wizard of Oz. I heard that was total bullshit. Never tried it myself because it's super lame.

It works for like the first 20 or 25 min....seriously....then it losses it. When the lion roars is when you start the track...lol....serious....

Money
Get away
You get a good job with good pay and you're okay
Money
It's a gas
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
New car, caviar, four star daydream
Think I'll buy me a football team

Money
Well, get back
I'm all right Jack
Keep your hands off of my stack
Money
It's a hit
Don't give me that do goody good bullshit
I'm in the high-fidelity first class travelling set
I think I need a Lear jet

Money
It's a crime
Share it fairly
But don't take a slice of my pie
Money
So they say
Is the root of all evil today
[ From: MONEY Lyrics - PINK FLOYD ]
But if you ask for a raise
It's no surprise that they're giving none away.

"They" refers to the likes of the family Boooosh, Biden,Kerry, McSame, Clinton, Pelosi,Raygun and now murkas new fave. MitWitt.

Alan Greenspan's Debute.......>
monkey3.jpg

I have also read this theory. It was advanced while Baum was still alive and he denied it.

But it is true that it could be construed as having to do with the Gold and silver money debates and the economy of the late 19thy century.

And yes, it was originally the SILVER SLIPPERS walking of the YELLOW BRICK road...and that could easily be thought to represent the longing of the 19th century populists who were DEMANDING massive increases in the silver currency to increase the overall money supply.

Forum List

Back