Without the mandate is Obamacare legal?

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
I've been thinking this over the last few days. What happens when the mandate is removed?

The legal challenges to ACA led to the Court saying the Feds have constitutional authority for the act due to the tax and spend clause of the constitution. The mandate is a tax, therefore the act is constitutional.

But if the mandate is removed wouldn't what remains be unconstitutional? If there is no tax what authorizes the act when the tax part is removed?

I've been thinking this over the last few days. What happens when the mandate is removed?

The legal challenges to ACA led to the Court saying the Feds have constitutional authority for the act due to the tax and spend clause of the constitution. The mandate is a tax, therefore the act is constitutional.

But if the mandate is removed wouldn't what remains be unconstitutional? If there is no tax what authorizes the act when the tax part is removed?
You have a gross misunderstanding. The mandate is not what authorizes the whole act. The Supreme Court decision was about the tax, and the tax alone.

The mandate, along with several other taxes, was what was supposed to make ObamaCare financially viable. That is why the GOP went after it. Without the mandate, ObamaCare is supposed to economically implode.

Honey, it's been imploding for awhile now.

You have a gross misunderstanding. The mandate is not what authorizes the whole act. The Supreme Court decision was about the tax, and the tax alone.

The mandate, along with several other taxes, was what was supposed to make ObamaCare financially viable. That is why the GOP went after it. Without the mandate, ObamaCare is supposed to economically implode.

Obamacare is not now or ever would have been.fiscally sound. The CBO told Obama that they couldn't estimate the cost of the bill unless Obama filled in the financial blanks. He told them not to worry about the blanks, just give it the ok. So they said, "The way the bill stands now, it is affordable".
Then Obama filled in those blanks and told Pelosi to tell us that if we wanted to see the bill, we'd have to pass it first. And the Congressional morons did just that.

None of what you wrote makes the tiniest bit of sense.... stick to judgmentally quoting bible passages at strangers and leave government policy to the big people for a change

Quote exactly where the Court said any such thing.

Forum List

Back