With Tight Grip on Ballot, Putin Is Forcing Foes Out

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by Gunny, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    So much for democratic elections.

2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Yep, no democracy in Russia. I don't know much about Russian history but it seems that the idea of a liberal democracy just doesn't really appear anywhere. Russia seems to have a history of authoritarianism and of course totalitarianism. I'd like to be wrong on that.

3. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,860
    ... just let the north Caucasus secede...
    :confused:
    ANALYSIS: Putin policies risk increasing bloodshed
    Thu, Feb 10, 2011 - Doku Umarov, the Chechen warlord who styles himself “the emir of the Caucasus,” told the Russian government this week that his jihadists were ready and willing to launch more terrorist attacks like last month’s suicide bombing of Moscow Domodedovo Airport, for which he admitted responsibility.

4. Ropey

Ropey Honey Badger Don't Give A Shit! Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,816
    When the worlds eyes are on a great longer term event, then the Russian fury will come. Putin is a man with no soul for weakness. But a mind to win.

5. Jroc

Jroc יעקב כהן Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,519
    So Ropey... Do you approve of Putin? Do you think a guy like Putin is good for Russia?

6. Ropey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,816
    Russia, in comparison to China is a Paragon of Democracy and America has no problems dealing with China.

Putin loves Russia and clearly wants to see Russia strong, healthy and occupying a prominent position on the world stage.

I think he wants Russia to be part of the world community. He doesn’t want Russia behind a separate iron curtain, cut off from the rest of the world. But he thinks that longer terms are necessary.

I believe he will likely extend the Russian term limits again. He is smart enough to set up the response now and just await the proper time to respond.

That's the Russian way. They play chess the same way.

7. Jroc

Jroc יעקב כהן Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,519
    It seems like you have some kind of admiration for Russia why is that? I'm not comparing Russia with China, I'm only talking about Russia here, Putin wants Russia to be what it was, where’s your proof that he doesn't? He kills or impressions reporters and others who speak out against the government has made billions for himself while his people suffer, he still works against the interests of the free word as he builds nuclear power plants in Iran and wants to build them for the dictator in Venezuela, he does not work with us in our battle against radical islam and he is no friend of Israel and will end up selling them advanced air defenses soon.

8. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    It seems to me the Russkies have always been willing to take a step back if they see two steps forward in the future.

I always saw the fall of the Berlin Wall as "one step back".

9. Ropey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,816
    Not admiration, but recognition. Whether one likes him or not, there are conclusions that one can draw with Russia pre Putin and today and with Putin himself.

America does much business with China. It does business with Russia as well. Why should Russia work with Israel or America? Because it is "The Free World"? Foreign policy is a game which countries play in order to increase their status in this game.

Complaining about the UN will not change the UN. Complaining about Putin does not change Putin. He is what he is and will do what he does, regardless of your dislike and my more neutral view.

Countries are not really friends Jroc. You know that.

10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    I'm not sure it really matters what we think of Putin... Russians love him.

even the legitimate polls, without cooked numbers, give him something like an 80% approval rating.

i live with a lot of russian people... and they like people who walk around with flexed musclies (figuratively, not literally, necessarily). they have little interest in anyone they perceive as less than tough.