wireless

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Johnney, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    anyone have any pro's and con's about it? i used it when i was down south in NC and GA, but it was in hotels and the boss's house. anyone have wireless in your houses? and what do you think about it?
    im asking this cause i went x-mas shopping with my mommy and she asked me what i wanted so i told her i wanted a wireless router and she baught it for me

2. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    i've got it in my house and love it. keep an eye out though, cuz the next round of available wireless equipment is right around the corner. keep your eyes on companies dabbling in Ultra Wide Band (UWB) technology......

3. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    cool. my sister is a CNA and they use UWB in the hospital to keep track of everyone there. could be interesting

4. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Wireless freakin ROCKS. I can sit outside during the summer, and play on the laptop. I can take the laptop in the bathroom and shop online while taking a bubble bath..Get it. Install it. You'll never regret it. Just make sure you use a good firewall, too..(well, with ANY set up).

5. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    UWB will eventually replace wi-fi. it uses a wider band and plus, it is much, much more secure. Since UWB polls and then uses pulses to transmit and receive, it is impossible to hack.

I recently invested in a small start-up that got started by developing UWB stuff for the Nevada Test Site and the DOE.

6. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    cool! well i dont take bubble baths, so until they make a water proof laptop, ill refreain from the bathroom...lol

but i do have another question about routers... im running a linksys 5 port right now for my network, it has 2 pc's and this laptop. can i hook a wireless/ wired 802.11g to a regular router and have it work?

7. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    if the router doesn't have wireless built into it, you could make it work, but it would just be cheaper (and easier) to buy a router that allows for both wireless and wired applications. Lynksys makes one. Otherwise, you have to buy a wireless transmitter to plug into your existing router and that just will become troublesome.

8. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    the router im using now doesnt have it built in. the new one im getting is wireless and a 4 port switch. i was just thinking i could save myself a little time by just hooking the new one to the old one and jsut putting the new software on the laptop. but thats ok, not likes its an all day affair

9. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    nope, it ain't. but what you were thinking of doing to save time.... well, that would probably take longer anyway! lol

10. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Psst! Laptops replace "reading" material in bathrooms, too.. For guys, anyway.