Windows Essentials:

You were probably talking to an Microsoft trained IT tech, you wouldn't believe the BS Microsoft feeds them.

Never thought I'd hear myself say it but Windows Essentials did very well in independent tests where as Windows Defender did terrible. While it's able to "scrub" an infected system it can leave traces of the malware behind that could cause problems. What Essentials mainly lacks is a relatively new detection feature, heuristics-based scanners but then again many only include that feature in the for sale versions. Two problems with heuristics-based scanners is length of time to do a scan and number of false positives so that technology is a trade off.
Add Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free, it runs when you open your browser and is a zero day malware protection program (App to you Windows acolytes)
I know absolutely nothing about "heuristics-based scanners" but I should tell you it took more than an hour for Essentials to remove the Trojan it detected. It posted a two page listing of items it found and removed. The bottom-line for me is the Trojan is reportedly gone and my computer is working fine.
Like I said apparently Microsoft finally got it's act together with Windows Essentials but don't rely on just that. At least load Malwarebytes as a backup to see if anything got through that Essentials missed and if you want realtime browser protection load Malwarebytes Anti-exploit.

As far as FREE options go, I agree.

Kaspersky and ESET offer far superior protection, but you have to pay for them.
As I recall, I had paid over $100 for an anti-virus program (I believe it was McAfee) when I got my XP computer some years back. But although I've been using computers for a long time I remain an affirmed computer dummy and the program I bought was not only difficult to install it caused horiffic problems. So I hired a local tech who removed it and advised me to use AVG, which was free at that time, installed very easily, and did a very good job (I never had any virus issues).

So when I got this Windows 7 computer I ordered AVG, which I believe costs around $40 now. I installed it and it caused problems with several programs I regularly use. So I had the IT over again and, like last time, he removed AVG and strongly advised me to use Essentials.

That was over two years ago. Since then I've had no problems. Essentials on three occasions has notified me of problems they had quarantined and allowed me to remove them with one simple click.

Then, yesterday, it found the Trojan I posted about and removed it. So assessing the situation from my relatively ignorant point of view I am happily impressed with Essentials.

As far as Essentials being free is concerned, I would happily pay for it -- or any anti-virus program I am able to install and which works for me. I have no problem with that. The problem I have is the more popular anti-virus programs I've paid for and tried require computer skills and knowledge I simply do not have. I've tried to install them and they cause problems I can't deal with. But Essentials installed very easily, it causes no problems, and it has worked for me.

That is worth a couple hundred dollars to me -- but it's free.
AVG like many others has a free version but I dumped AVG years ago because it was becoming more "Norton like", a resource hog. Ran Avast for years but have recently switched to Panda Free, the top rated free AV available. I'm old school which meant I stayed away from anything Microsoft in terms of AV and malware protection as they have been rated towards the bottom by all independent labs till recently. If Essentials works for you then great, use what you like and what works for you. Apparently they've made great strides forward, me, I'll probably never lose my distrust of Microsoft security, like I said, old school...... :D

Like I said apparently Microsoft finally got it's act together with Windows Essentials but don't rely on just that. At least load Malwarebytes as a backup to see if anything got through that Essentials missed and if you want realtime browser protection load Malwarebytes Anti-exploit.
Thank you for the advice which I sincerely appreciate. But I won't attempt to load anything without the tech standing by. Because I know what will happen.

Forum List

Back