Will November 2012 see another swing of the pendulum?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wry Catcher, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,189
    IMO the "I hope he fails" crowd has demonstrated they cannot govern and that "ain't it awful" fear mongering isn't leadership. It's past time to put pragmatic leaders who believe in America and Americans back in office and chase the Eric Cantors and the other extreme ideologues of the world back into obscurity.

Now that Boehner has caved, and the ideologues in the House have recognized their collective effort to stonewall government to embarrass the President for solely political reasons has failed, it appears to me that the tide has changed and next November the American people will once again reject the party that had power and overreached.

Both parties need to recognize that most Americans want stability and real world solutions to problems real Americans face, not pie in the sky promises or fear mongering.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. ba1614

ba1614 Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +876
    Shouldn't leadership start at the top? I know it does with almost every organization I can think of, except the obama administration.

3. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,120
    more than likely, it will swing, imho.

More people will come out and vote in the 2012 election than in 2010, and more voters usually means more democrats voting....so the possibility of swinging back is certainly there.

Plus, the Democrats have been energized by losing the 2010 elections and dem voters DO NOT want to see more republicans like the ones in the House in 2010 winning more seats, especially after all the 'congress of No', has done/not done.... since their election 2 years previously....is what I am thinking....

so, this could bring more voters to the voting booth....again, this is just speculation.

4. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,074
    The pendulum doesn't stop in the middle.
    Either end of the pendulum swings is invested with excess.

You can look forward to a century of the opposite of what the Left has created.
    And it may not be good.

"Someday I’d like to see a true right-wing court just to demonstrate what ‘conservative’ judicial activism would really look like. To correspond to the ‘living Constitution’ wielded by liberal jurists, the court would have to start discovering constitutional clauses invalidating the income tax, prohibiting abortion across the nation, and protecting the right to suck the brains out of Democrats- all in the penumbras, you understand."
    Coulter

5. deaddogseye

deaddogseye Carpe Ukraine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +137
    i wouldnt put to much into the latest drama as a voting issue in november. people just wanted to see this tax cut continued -- and it was. lets agree at least for arguments sake that on this one the republicans were outmanuevered (which seems to be the case but not looking for an argument from anyone on that) . come november assuming that the tax cut remains in place no one will remeber who outmanuevered who on this anymore than they will remeber the other times when the dems caved (which i cant recall at the moment either). thats all inside the beltway stuff and sunday talk show stuff -- not voting stuff. so i wouldnt put too much in to that aspect of this.

plus with the democrats in the white house and control of the senate who can fairly be called the party in power, if either of them can be?

plus at the end of the day if the attempt is made to put to much on the republicans for this they have an easy response for most people -- to get extended this measure had to pass thru the republican house -- and at the end of the day it did.

so i hear you but dont see it

6. deaddogseye

deaddogseye Carpe Ukraine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +137
    if i had to guess right now i think you will see this -- obama is reelected and maybe the dems take back a few house seats but not control (and those house seats are taken mostly by more conservative dems who wont jump off a cliff for pelosi like some did over health care) and the repubs pick up a few seats in the senate but probably fall short of control

and at the endof the day the current dynamic remains unchanged as a result and of course obama has lame duck status - whatever that really means

7. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,189
    Well you and Coulter can wish all you want but until the American style of democracy is put asunder and the Oligarchy of the wealthy and powerful (the Plutocrats) gain full control of the Executive and Legislative branches (they already control the majority of the USSC) that won't happen.

One roadblock to the Democrats once again holding the majority in Congress is CU v. FEC which allowed for the development of Super PACs. Unlimited funds provided by unknown sources will flood our airwaves this summer. Be careful, those who attack Obama and support the New Right might very well be foreign sources. Saudi Princes or a South Americans Leftist (Hugo Chavez) might very well fund those Super PACs to persuade the American voter to support candidates which will benefit the funder and not the American people.

8. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,120
    yes, the swing in the house, won't swing all the way....the Repubs will still have control, is my guess, this far out....and the Dem senate could lose seats, but not enough for the GOP to take control of the Senate.

so I guess I am saying in my speculation, that I think there will be a swing in the house but not enough to take it over....

but honestly, the election is pretty far off in political terms and anything can happen between now and then!

9. BluePhantom

BluePhantom Educator (of liberals)

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,137
    Well the little game that will be played now is that the Democrats will push for another extension that ends right before the elections. Then they will try to essentially blackmail the GOP because they wouldn't dare raise taxes and cut unemployment right before the election. The Republicans on the other hand will push for an extension that expires after the elections to get that out of the picture.

As far as which way the pendulum will swing...it's hard to tell. The Senators that are up for re-election are more vulnerable on the Democratic side so assuming current trends stay the same my guess is that the GOP will hold the House and take the Senate by a small margin.

10. Dragon

Dragon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I believe the impact of money on elections is easy to overstate. The big problem with money in our politics is not that it swings elections between the Rs and Ds so much as that it allows those with deep pockets to exercise unacceptable influence on both. CU made it so that politicians fear opposing the agenda of the plutocrats lest attack ads appear in their districts at the next election.

People seem seldom to understand this dynamic. It has nothing to do with who gets elected and everything to do with what they do after they take office. As long as a candidate has enough money to get his message out, more money on top of that suffers from diminishing returns. The candidate with less money wins often enough to dispute the idea that money determines elections (and one may question which direction causality flows when the one with the most money does win).

So I wouldn't worry too much about CU helping the Republicans. What I would worry about is it allowing money to corrupt our new Congress -- just as it does our current one.