Will America's Underbelly Rear Its Ugly Head

Dr Grump

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2006
From the Back of Beyond
Bout sums it up. You can pretend otherwise. At least WJ is open about it....

Tracey Barnett: Obama fairytale v the dirty truth - 28 Aug 2008 - NZ Herald: World / International News

Pollsters are madly trying to quantify what number to put on racism. Good luck. Various polls range from 5-9 per cent of respondents who admit they feel uncomfortable voting for a black man.

But the story gets a bit muddier when the question is made less personally revealing. When asked if respondents had friends who wouldn't vote for Obama because of his colour, that number went up to 19 per cent, according to a New York Times poll. Translation: I'm not willing to admit out loud that I'm a racist but it's certainly more comfortable telling you my neighbours are.

Last edited:

Tracey Barnett: Obama fairytale v the dirty truth - 28 Aug 2008 - NZ Herald: World / International News

Pollsters are madly trying to quantify what number to put on racism. Good luck. Various polls range from 5-9 per cent of respondents who admit they feel uncomfortable voting for a black man.

But the story gets a bit muddier when the question is made less personally revealing. When asked if respondents had friends who wouldn't vote for Obama because of his colour, that number went up to 19 per cent, according to a New York Times poll. Translation: I'm not willing to admit out loud that I'm a racist but it's certainly more comfortable telling you my neighbours are.

I see the Kiwis are trying to turn this election into a racial thermometer too.

Americans can vote for a white person without being a racist. Why don't you take that thermometer and stick it up your own country's ass ?

Translation: I'm not willing to admit out loud that I'm a racist but it's certainly more comfortable telling you my neighbours are.

I'm not sure I agree with that conclusion, since I DO know people who clearly aren't comfortable voting for Obama because of his color. I'm not one of them, so I think, in a sense, what the NY Times poll may be measuring, and possibly accurately, is what percentage of the population will be difficult for Obama to reach because of his color.

But yes... WJ is honest about that sort of thing... he's never tried to pretend he was anything but what he is.

I call fucking bullshit on this. I won't vote for fucking Obama, fucking Hillary or any other of those fucking Democrats because they are fucking Liberals. I also tossed a load of cash to support a black candidate for Congress in 06 and I voted for Alan Keyes in the NC primary. And not because they are black, because they are conservative.

The numbers mean that most americans are friends with several or more people. Here's a hypothetical:

Do you have red hair? (5% say yes)

Do you have a friend with red hair? (20% say yes).

Seems a lot less interesting all of a sudden.

I call fucking bullshit on this. I won't vote for fucking Obama, fucking Hillary or any other of those fucking Democrats because they are fucking Liberals. I also tossed a load of cash to support a black candidate for Congress in 06 and I voted for Alan Keyes in the NC primary. And not because they are black, because they are conservative.

I don't think you're the person they're talking about... I think they mean people who might otherwise have voted for a democrat under other circumstances.

so stop shouting, please.:eusa_pray:

I don't think you're the person they're talking about... I think they mean people who might otherwise have voted for a democrat under other circumstances.

so stop shouting, please.:eusa_pray:
I was making a point that regular folks like me HATE IT when the race card is played, we see it as a cheap shot, completely unfounded and there will be a backlash against those who play it.:evil:

I was making a point that regular folks like me HATE IT when the race card is played, we see it as a cheap shot, completely unfounded and there will be a backlash against those who play it.:evil:

Rationally discssing the effect that race is likely playing on the outcome of the election is hardly playing "the race card" champ.

Now I understand perfectly well that many people are not going to vote for O because they hate his policies.

But some people, and this is the question at hand, probably are not because of his race.

You taking umbrage with the discussion might lead some people to think you doth protest too much.

I don't think there are enough of those people to make any difference in the end.

Most of the people I know who most abhor him would vote for Condoleeza Rice in a New York minute.

I don't think there are enough of those people to make any difference in the end.

Most of the people I know who most abhor him would vote for Condoleeza Rice in a New York minute.

I've marveled at that, too, actually. And what I've decided is that "conservative" blacks are not as threatening as "liberal" blacks in much the same way as it took a commie hater like Richard Nixon to open China. There's a certain logic to it.

Rationally discssing the effect that race is likely playing on the outcome of the election is hardly playing "the race card" champ.

Now I understand perfectly well that many people are not going to vote for O because they hate his policies.

But some people, and this is the question at hand, probably are not because of his race.

You taking umbrage with the discussion might lead some people to think you doth protest too much.

And yet it does not bother you one bit that a large segment of the black population wont vote for McCain cause he is white. Go figure. I suspect more blacks then whites will be voting because of racism.

Something to consider:

It's not unreasonable in a democracy for voters of one particular racial or ethnic group to want to see 'one of their own' in office. Because it's rational to assume that a black official will be more sympathetic to black issues, or a Jewish official more sympathetic to Jewish issues, etc. Jillian knows who represents Chinatown in NYC -- it's Rocky Chin, an Asian. Or, her councilman in Park Slope is probably David Yassky, who's Jewish. Is it a big shocker that a Jewish man represents Park Slope, an Asian man represents Chinatown, and so on?

But why is understandable, yea, commendable, for non-whites, but pure evil for whites?

That's not fair.

Whites are a minority in four states and D.C., and they are on track to be a minority in the U.S. by 2042, a date moved up from 2050 just recently by the U.S. Census folks.

What then? Does anyone really think the old thinking will still apply? Why?

This is ludicrous...of course there will be people who won't vote for Obama because he's black. This is a shame, but there will always be idiots in the world. There will also be (if the polls are at all accurate), a large number of African-Americans who will be casting their vote for Obama specifically because he is black. But this seems to be "ok" or "socially acceptable" for some ridiculous reason.

I hate to say it, but I really think that Obama's candidacy is being used, and will continue to be used by the race-baiters in this country who preach about and profit off of America being a "racist nation."

Obama has practically been handed his nomination by people of all races who do not just like him...they worship him. There have been very few racist comments or remarks made about him from anyone serious (unless, of course, you want to talk about Biden saying how "clean" he was).

We should be celebrating as a nation that Obama's nomination is just one more step in the ongoing development of our nation...rather than listening to the race-pimps who desperately want to read racism in every blink, sigh, cough, and question posed by those who aren't sure about Obama as president.

Are we really going to let these people - those who want desperately to pull us further apart - play this game? Vote for Obama or you are racist. If you don't vote for Obama, regardless of the reason, you're secretly racist. If Obama is elected President, it doesn't mean that we've made any real strides in overcoming racism...and if he isn't, then we might as well be back in the times when slavery was legal.

Why are so many falling for this tripe?

Something to consider:

It's not unreasonable in a democracy for voters of one particular racial or ethnic group to want to see 'one of their own' in office. Because it's rational to assume that a black official will be more sympathetic to black issues, or a Jewish official more sympathetic to Jewish issues, etc. Jillian knows who represents Chinatown in NYC -- it's Rocky Chin, an Asian. Or, her councilman in Park Slope is probably David Yassky, who's Jewish. Is it a big shocker that a Jewish man represents Park Slope, an Asian man represents Chinatown, and so on?

But why is understandable, yea, commendable, for non-whites, but pure evil for whites?

That's not fair.

Whites are a minority in four states and D.C., and they are on track to be a minority in the U.S. by 2042, a date moved up from 2050 just recently by the U.S. Census folks.

I don't live in Park Slope. I go there for the restaurants. David Yasskey isn't my councilman. You have to go further south to get to my part of the world.

I think the problem with "whites" professing they're underrepresented is that they've ALWAYS had ALL of the power. It isn't unreasonable for minorities to want to see "one of their own" as you put it because they've NEVER been represented.

This is ludicrous...of course there will be people who won't vote for Obama because he's black. This is a shame, but there will always be idiots in the world. There will also be (if the polls are at all accurate), a large number of African-Americans who will be casting their vote for Obama specifically because he is black. But this seems to be "ok" or "socially acceptable" for some ridiculous reason.

I hate to say it, but I really think that Obama's candidacy is being used, and will continue to be used by the race-baiters in this country who preach about and profit off of America being a "racist nation."

Obama has practically been handed his nomination by people of all races who do not just like him...they worship him. There have been very few racist comments or remarks made about him from anyone serious (unless, of course, you want to talk about Biden saying how "clean" he was).

We should be celebrating as a nation that Obama's nomination is just one more step in the ongoing development of our nation...rather than listening to the race-pimps who desperately want to read racism in every blink, sigh, cough, and question posed by those who aren't sure about Obama as president.

Are we really going to let these people - those who want desperately to pull us further apart - play this game? Vote for Obama or you are racist. If you don't vote for Obama, regardless of the reason, you're secretly racist. If Obama is elected President, it doesn't mean that we've made any real strides in overcoming racism...and if he isn't, then we might as well be back in the times when slavery was legal.

The Democrats have always been about fear mongering and the Liberals do it even more. It is part and parcel of their campaigns from start to finish. If you can not buy the votes, scare them into voting for you. Or in this case try to make them feel ashamed enough to vote for them.

You fail to understand that I want the Obamites to continue to play the race card, like you just did. It can only bury them deeper. :eusa_angel:

That's because these black voters are going to elect a black democrat (which they want them to do). If it was a black conservative then they would totally have a problem with it and it would be called black racism.

Well yeah, there's a lot of racism in this country.

You're aussie right? Can I ask you a question? And I don't mean this to be snarky, its just sheer ignorance on my part.

How many aborigines and other dark skinned minorities hold national or parliamentary elected office there?

Something to consider:

That's not fair.

It should be interesting. Maybe we better start sucking up now, heh.

btw, Dr. G., I hardly think racism exists only in the USA.

And yet it does not bother you one bit that a large segment of the black population wont vote for McCain cause he is white. Go figure. I suspect more blacks then whites will be voting because of racism.
How is it that you seem to know everyone's thoughts?

Forum List

Back