Wikileaks..... they have given us great cannon fodder BUT

Wikileaks is a political godsend and a force for justice in the world. Yes, hacking and stealing information is against the law but when the law is but a shield for corruption people of good conscience have a duty to pull aside the veil and expose the dirty side of human governance. Calling ourselves a "nation of laws" should imply that we are devoted to justice and not unquestioning rule-book followers.
That is a very thin line and a slope covered in wax on the wrong side.
There is no line. Democracy is messy, only tyrannies deal in moral/legal absolutes and blind devotion to the letter of the law.

Wikileaks is a political godsend and a force for justice in the world. Yes, hacking and stealing information is against the law but when the law is but a shield for corruption people of good conscience have a duty to pull aside the veil and expose the dirty side of human governance. Calling ourselves a "nation of laws" should imply that we are devoted to justice and not unquestioning rule-book followers.
There is no line. Democracy is messy, only tyrannies deal in moral/legal absolutes and blind devotion to the letter of the law.
So this character who hacked in to their emails NOT KNOWING what he would find, corruption or just everyday business, has a right to do that because the chance for corruption exists and he is charged with finding that corruption via illegal means by whom?

Is anyone else a bit alarmed that they can so easily break the law, steal American documents and NO ONE is calling out the criminality of this enterprise? Are we going to begin looking the other way when laws are broken if it fits a political narrative?
The has been broken by the criminals for years. I find it justice (ironic karma) to see law breakers taking out law breakers. If Clinton and the DNC could demand private information 'just because' and the law did not take notice I am willing to look the other way for a bit while others bring forth whatever else they have also been doing.

So this character who hacked in to their emails NOT KNOWING what he would find, corruption or just everyday business, has a right to do that because the chance for corruption exists and he is charged with finding that corruption via illegal means by whom?
Hackers are a morally ambiguous bunch. Who can say what the were the motives behind hacking them? All we know for sure is that the hacked data was posted publicly and now we have a rare look into the sausage making process and must now deal with it as public information. The illegality of it's source is a secondary matter and if the hacker can be extradited from his shitty third-world country he will certainly go to jail and deservedly so. I know you are looking for some moral absolute here but there is none.

Is anyone else a bit alarmed that they can so easily break the law, steal American documents and NO ONE is calling out the criminality of this enterprise? Are we going to begin looking the other way when laws are broken if it fits a political narrative?
I personally never have had a problem with hacking, so long as it was used to stop or expose corruption and dishonesty. Hacking for justice is the right kind of hacking. If it exposed corruption and dishonesty in the Republican party, I'd be just as happy.
Complete nonsense. Can I murder for justice? Can I steal for justice? Are we a nation of laws or vigilantes?
Yes to all. If a murderer is on the loose, I'm fine with some random shooting them. If someone steals from a thief, I'm fine with that, too. The government has been lying to us since the very beginning, and if laws have to be broken for the truth to be shown to the American people, I don't mind at all.

I personally never have had a problem with hacking, so long as it was used to stop or expose corruption and dishonesty. Hacking for justice is the right kind of hacking. If it exposed corruption and dishonesty in the Republican party, I'd be just as happy.
Complete nonsense. Can I murder for justice? Can I steal for justice? Are we a nation of laws or vigilantes?
You sure are growing on me. Despite some lapses, a guy who is not taken in by all the partisan scam game. No sarcasm.

Forum List

Back