Why you hate unions?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sirkarl101, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Cuyo

Cuyo Training a Guineapig army

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +943
    Didn't read. Didn't have to. My entire view on unions is blown by this revelation that there might have been a misdeed anecdotally attached to a union at some point.

Wow, at last I can see. I'm going to change my registration to Republican tomorrow. Thank you for opening my eyes.

Now THAT'S sarcasm.

2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,415
    Cool.

It's always good to know where the degenerate vote lives.

3. Cuyo

Cuyo Training a Guineapig army

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +943
    Have you been drinking?

4. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,924
    I agree.

Complaining about union leadership is essentially the same as complaining about political leadership. Unions are democratic organizations. Their leaders are elected -- chosen by popular vote, same as the Congress, the Senate and the Presidency. To say unions are no good is to say governments are no good when we know perfectly well that both serve important purposes. Where would we be without them?

The cause of bad unions is the same as the cause of bad government. Complacency, apathy and ignorance on the part of memberships or constituencies are ruinous. Dirty, petty, self-serving politics, laziness and apathy on the part of union members will destroy a union, just as those same factors are slowly destroying the American democracy.

My son-in-law is a Teamster. He works for UPS and is very content with his job. The Shop Steward of his Local believes in fair and honest cooperation with management. When an employee has a legitimate grievance he backs him. When a grievance is opposed to fair policy he won't support it. If the leadership of the UAW had adhered to the same principle that union would not have committed suicide through its excessive demands and unreasonable policies. The UAW membership elected the wrong leaders.

5. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,107
    Thanks for sharing.

6. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,381
    Unions cost the taxpayer too much money.

I know because I used to work for a company that had dealings with the state of MA.

There was a construction project to be done at a state housing facility for the mentally retarded.

2 Bathrooms were to be renovated. It was nothing huge. Bathtubs were to be removed so as to install a wheelchair roll in shower some tiling and electrical work was involved.

Here is how unions operate.

The plumber comes in and takes out the tub then he has to relocate the pipes and shower controls to a different section of the wall but he can't cut a hole in the drywall because that's the sheetrock union's job.

He leaves after 2 hours but the state got charged a 4 hour contract mandated minimum.

The next day a guy comes and cuts holes in the walls in about 20 minutes and charges a 4 hour minimum

A couple days later the plumber comes back and installs some new pipes and shower controls then realizes the light and fan have to be relocated so he leaves because he isn't allowed to do the job of the electrician's union. He charges a 4 hour minimum for an hour's work

The next week an electrician shows up and disconnects the light and fan but he cant relocate the light, the fan or the switch because more holes have to be cut in the drywall. He charges a 4 hour minimum for 20 minutes of work.

The sheet rock guys show up.......

Get the picture?

Those 2 small bathroom jobs took 3 months and 37K to complete. I could have done both in a weekend for abut 6 grand.

7. bigrebnc1775

bigrebnc1775 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,848
    Unions kill jobs for the real working people.

8. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,431
    no one would. I don't, and I've brought up similar stories in the past.

But it has little to do with the fact that since unions have declined in the PRIVATE sector, the American middle class has declined with it.

an Employer should be able to fire an incompetent or dangerous worker.

He should not be able to fire someone because she wouldn't give him a blow job.

Because some people abuse the protections that were hard fought for does not mean having the protections was a bad idea.

9. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,431
    Again, it's like blaming the locksmith for your house getting robbed.

The employment rate has not gone up because private sector union membership has gone down. It just means that unlike my Grandfather who was able to retire on a pension from his good union job in the 1960's, I'll probably be working until they take me out feet first.

10. healthmyths

healthmyths Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,212
    I belonged to the Teamsters, UAW and AFL-CIO and I worked under a closed shop!
    Have you?
    In one instance I was told I couldn't add a piece of NEW lumber to skids I was repairing as a carpenter apprentice because I was an apprentice and ONLY carpenters were allowed to work on NEW lumber! Stupid!
    After graduating from college I worked as management and one afternoon when tow motor drivers were gone I jumped on a towmotor moving an item onto a waiting truck so an order for a customer could be delivered.
    I was reprimanded by my boss, a union tow motor driver was paid "double overtime" for my SIN of just trying to get an order out!

So believe me when I say UNIONS have been the cause of outsourcing!
    UNIONS have been the cause of severe financial hardship for the ordinary worker!

And finally If these unions were so good, why do they HAVE to force people to join to have a job, TAKE THEIR DUES out of their paycheck bEFORE the worker is paid and
    NOT allow worker a say in the FACT that 90% of UNION DONATIONS are paid to
    Democrats! ALL FACTS!

OH by the way, the above company.. OUT of business 1,000s of jobs lost why..
    UNION !