Why would you or wouldn't you negotiate a trade agreement with Donald Trump.

R

rdean

So what do you think? Would you or wouldn't you? What in Trump's past makes you believe he will or won't make a "terrific deal"?

So the GOP can't figure out a single reason why they would negotiate a trade agreement with Donald Trump?

I'm not sure of the basis for the question. As POTUS he will be involved in the negotiations of trade agreements. I assume you mean - do we believe he will negotiate a better trade agreement for the country.

The hope for Trump,supporters is that since he is already rich he will make deals based solely on their merit for the country rather than for special interest who pay him off. I would go along with that, except I'm extremely bothered that he is not divesting himself from his business. Therefore he is opening himself up to justified second guessing.

I'm not sure of the basis for the question. As POTUS he will be involved in the negotiations of trade agreements. I assume you mean - do we believe he will negotiate a better trade agreement for the country.

The hope for Trump,supporters is that since he is already rich he will make deals based solely on their merit for the country rather than for special interest who pay him off. I would go along with that, except I'm extremely bothered that he is not divesting himself from his business. Therefore he is opening himself up to justified second guessing.

What would he live on were he to divest himself of his business interests? He certainly can't live off the $1.00 per year salary he has stated he will accept. The man has given over control of his businesses to his children and has divested himself of his Saudi Arabia business interests. Just how much do you really expect him to sacrifice? Do you realy expect him to go on EBT?

Serial contract breacher Trump invokes the law against Cruz

Trump's approach to contract law, however, has been to negotiate deals and then to try to renegotiate them after the fact, when he is in a more advantageous position. The signed document is only the beginning of the story.

Trump, after all, has been involved in thousands of lawsuits, including suits brought against him by small businesspeople who have never been paid for their work. Trump's explanation for all of these disputes is that he has refused to pay people for shoddy work.

His is the classic defense: "They didn't perform their side of the deal, so now I don't have to perform mine."

The contracts that Trump signed, of course, are subject to the requirement of good faith and fair dealing. In construction contracts, there is also standard language regarding "good and workmanlike" efforts and so on. No contract can be governed by one party's opportunistic claim that the other party's actions are not good enough.

Yet Trump's evidence for non- or poor performance seems always to boil down to, "Well, I'm not satisfied, so I'm not paying. Sue me." Because he knows that his opponents—partly because he is refusing to pay them money owed—have no money to hire lawyers and wait years for justice, he frequently gets away with breaching his contracts.

-------------------------------------

Trump's supporters always say, "Well, they just did bad work". Can there be thousands in business that only do bad work and how does Trump always seem to find them?

USA TODAY exclusive: Hundreds allege Donald Trump doesn’t pay his bills

AMONG THOSE WHO SAY BILLIONAIRE DIDN'T PAY: DISHWASHERS, PAINTERS, WAITERS

The very people who believe in Trump today.

So Trump wants to redo all our trade agreements. Looking at his own agreements, you get more a feeling of impending disaster based on what he has done in the past.

Here is a great article on a Trump presidency:

Economists said a Trump presidency would be a disaster. So why isn't Wall Street worried?

It goes out of it's way to present both sides, positive and negative.

(To me, this seems obvious.)

On the campaign trail, Trump repeatedly railed against China and Mexico, vowing to slap higher tariffs on Chinese imports and renegotiate the NAFTA trade deal. But Simon Lester, a trade expert at the Cato Institute, argues that it’s far from clear how far Trump would actually go toward cutting the US off from foreign trade.

One of Trump’s big challenges on the trade front is the fact that the world is bound together in a complex patchwork of agreements that limits the ability of any one country to change trade policies unilaterally. For example, the US imposes something called anti-dumping duties on certain Chinese goods, and the president has some discretion to decide how these duties are set. In principle, Trump’s trade team could tweak these formulas to effectively charge China more to sell products to us.

The problem is that China would likely challenge these higher charges at the WTO, and if Trump didn’t have a good justification for them, then US goods would be hit by countervailing duties in China. That would start a trade war that would be in no one’s interest.

-----------------------------------

So, to me, when you look at Trump's own record on contracts, deals and negotiations, I don't have much faith in his deal making abilities. Remember, Trump inherited a big company and 40 million dollars at the beginning of his career. 4,000 lawsuits ago.

What would he live on were he to divest himself of his business interests? He certainly can't live off the $1.00 per year salary he has stated he will accept. The man has given over control of his businesses to his children and has divested himself of his Saudi Arabia business interests. Just how much do you really expect him to sacrifice? Do you realy expect him to go on EBT?
When you become president of the United States, I consider it an honor and not a sacrifice.

Guess we just see things different.

Your kind comes up with the strangest scenarios.

Trump's approach to contract law, however, has been to negotiate deals and then to try to renegotiate them after the fact, when he is in a more advantageous position. The signed document is only the beginning of the story.

Trump, after all, has been involved in thousands of lawsuits, including suits brought against him by small businesspeople who have never been paid for their work. Trump's explanation for all of these disputes is that he has refused to pay people for shoddy work.

His is the classic defense: "They didn't perform their side of the deal, so now I don't have to perform mine."

The contracts that Trump signed, of course, are subject to the requirement of good faith and fair dealing. In construction contracts, there is also standard language regarding "good and workmanlike" efforts and so on. No contract can be governed by one party's opportunistic claim that the other party's actions are not good enough.

Yet Trump's evidence for non- or poor performance seems always to boil down to, "Well, I'm not satisfied, so I'm not paying. Sue me." Because he knows that his opponents—partly because he is refusing to pay them money owed—have no money to hire lawyers and wait years for justice, he frequently gets away with breaching his contracts.

Trump's supporters always say, "Well, they just did bad work". Can there be thousands in business that only do bad work and how does Trump always seem to find them?

So Trump wants to redo all our trade agreements. Looking at his own agreements, you get more a feeling of impending disaster based on what he has done in the past.

Economists said a Trump presidency would be a disaster. So why isn't Wall Street worried?

On the campaign trail, Trump repeatedly railed against China and Mexico, vowing to slap higher tariffs on Chinese imports and renegotiate the NAFTA trade deal. But Simon Lester, a trade expert at the Cato Institute, argues that it’s far from clear how far Trump would actually go toward cutting the US off from foreign trade.

One of Trump’s big challenges on the trade front is the fact that the world is bound together in a complex patchwork of agreements that limits the ability of any one country to change trade policies unilaterally. For example, the US imposes something called anti-dumping duties on certain Chinese goods, and the president has some discretion to decide how these duties are set. In principle, Trump’s trade team could tweak these formulas to effectively charge China more to sell products to us.

The problem is that China would likely challenge these higher charges at the WTO, and if Trump didn’t have a good justification for them, then US goods would be hit by countervailing duties in China. That would start a trade war that would be in no one’s interest.

So, to me, when you look at Trump's own record on contracts, deals and negotiations, I don't have much faith in his deal making abilities. Remember, Trump inherited a big company and 40 million dollars at the beginning of his career. 4,000 lawsuits ago.

You voted for Hildabeast so I have zero faith in your judgement

You voted for Hildabeast so I have zero faith in your judgement
There is a huge difference between his scandals and her conspiracies.

When you become president of the United States, I consider it an honor and not a sacrifice.

Of course we do. Even Hillary never stated that she would shut down the Clinton Crime Family Foundation. She just said she would not have a part in its operation. Although a multimillionaire, Hillary never offered to forgo her salary were she to have been elected.

Your kind comes up with the strangest scenarios.

You dodged the question, however.

Divest, not give away. Are you serious? Just sell it. It's worth billions, or put it in a blind trust so he has no way of knowing the day to day operations. He can still get a monthly check. Come on man, you're better than that.

Depending on your situation, it could easily be both an honor and a sacrifice. In the Clintons' case it was an honor and an opportunity to make huge bank, which is exactly what they have done thru their public service.

So what do you think? Would you or wouldn't you? What in Trump's past makes you believe he will or won't make a "terrific deal"?

RDean,I'm aware of some advantages due to international agreements for the purposes such as environmental protection or global peace; I'm aware of benefits due to standardizing sizes, weights, measures, definition of words' meanings; I'm amiable to nations desiring to determine the manners by which they function.

I'm fully in favor of the "most favored nation” clauses that are found within most international trade agreements. [“Most favored nation” clauses" are mutual agreeing participants not prohibited from favoring their own nation’s enterprises or entrepreneurs but rather they are prohibited from treating any other than their nation more favorably then they treat any of the other participating nations].
Other than that, I’m generally opposed to mutual negotiated trade agreements drafted for economic purposes.

I do not believe that Trump can convince USA purchasers to refrain from purchasing foreign goods if they (correctly) perceive such purchases to be of superior benefit/price related;
I do not believe that Trump can convince foreign negotiators to act contrary to what they (correctly) perceive to be to their nations’ best interests.
It’s more feasible to change USA’s laws that motivated peoples' behaviors, rather than attempting to change human nature.

I’m a proponent of a unilateral trade policy described within Wikipedia’s “import Certificates” article.

USA’s adoption of The Import Certificate policy would increase USA’s GDP and numbers of jobs more than otherwise while subsidizing prices of USA’s exported goods sold to foreign purchasers.
The extent of the policies entire direct costs which are passed onto USA purchasers of imported goods are substantially market rather than government determined; the extent of price subsidies for USA exports are entirely market determined.

Google Wikipedia’s “import Certificates” article.
Respectfully, Supposn

Forum List

Back