Why would Stalin trust Hitler?

elvis

Rookie
Sep 15, 2008
Stalin read Mein Kampf, which outlined what Hitler's goals were, yet he took the Molotov/von Ribbentropf agreement at face value and was taken completely off guard when Hitler attacked.

Stalin read Mein Kampf, which outlined what Hitler's goals were, yet he took the Molotov/von Ribbentropf agreement at face value and was taken completely off guard when Hitler attacked.

stalin didn't trust hitler.

he misread him.

from what I've read, the soviets felt war with germany was inevitiable, they just didn't think it would come as early as 1941.

I don't think Stalin particularly trusted Hitler. He made the deal with Hitler because it gave the SU half of Poland.

As we misread Japan's intentions, so Stalin misread Hitler's intentions. And Stalin was had absolute power, so nothing was done to lesson the damage of his misjudgement.

Stalin was a guy who cared about winning or defeating the enemy more than anything. He also cared a power. He took it as an opportunity to defeat Hitler.

He was hoping the Germans would attack Russia. In my mind that's exactly what he wanted. He knew the Germans wouldn't completly defeat his army. And he also knew it would take a lot out of the Germans to win a fight within Russia.

So in his mind it was a victory when the Germans had to pull out. Could you say luck was on his side that Hitler made the mistake and attacked to late in the year and his army was demolished by the harsh winter...maybe. Idk exactly wat you would call that.

But what Stalin also thought was when the Germans did pull out Russia would be left in complete turmoil. Chaos every where. And with chaos, there is always a chance for a leader to arise. He took it as an opportunity to come to power over Russia.

Because Stalin was a coward! Coward usually try to find a little defenselss guy to pick on and then go up to him! they never want to attack the 6'6 250 lb bodybuilder!

There no different than the hypocritical left today. They are deathly afraid of the Islamist, even though all their rhetoric, writings and preaching point to their desire to a global Islamist domination, therefore they look for other targets. Evangenicals, Americans, Jews (esp Jews), Israel, globalization, capitalism etc. They are so afraid of the Islamist they try to make hay with others!

That is why Stalin jumped in bed with Hitler even though Hitler had a butcher knife. Stalin was deathly afraid od him!

Stalin was hoping for a german two front war which did not happen before germany invaded russia. He was lead to believe this would occur but the allies let him down.

That is why Stalin signed the Ribbontropf pact? That's a new one on me. How was Stalin hoping for a two front war by signing that agreement?

More accurately, Stalin stabbed the Western allies in the back by making that deal, guaranteeing Hitler he would *not* face a two front war when he invaded Poland, which is what he feared.

Stalin was a guy who cared about winning or defeating the enemy more than anything. He also cared a power. He took it as an opportunity to defeat Hitler.

He was hoping the Germans would attack Russia. In my mind that's exactly what he wanted. He knew the Germans wouldn't completly defeat his army. And he also knew it would take a lot out of the Germans to win a fight within Russia.

So in his mind it was a victory when the Germans had to pull out. Could you say luck was on his side that Hitler made the mistake and attacked to late in the year and his army was demolished by the harsh winter...maybe. Idk exactly wat you would call that.

But what Stalin also thought was when the Germans did pull out Russia would be left in complete turmoil. Chaos every where. And with chaos, there is always a chance for a leader to arise. He took it as an opportunity to come to power over Russia.

Stalin was not hoping Hitler would attack. he was dumbfounded when it happened. Look at the speech he gave after the attack. He was obviously shaken.

Trust?

Stalin's petition for military alliance was rebuffed by England (this was before the war statred) and so he took the next best avenue available to him at the time. Remember that he did get a buffer (part of Poland) in 1939 when Hitler took over that land, too.

I doubt he trusted Hitler, and I suspect that he planned on taking Germany on when it was weaked enough by its war with the West. The Russians hated Germany and the feeling was mutual.

He was probably shocked when Hitler unleashed his troops toward the East.

AFter all, he didn't expect Hitler to be stupid enough to create a war on the Eastern front when he was already involved with a war on the Western front.

Hitler surprised him, though, and ALMOST defeated Russia, anyway.

I think that Stalin was probably waiting for Hitler's invasion of England before he attacked Germany.

That's how I'd have played his hand.

Wait till Germany is committed to the invasion of England and THEN attack Germany.

Stalin was not hoping Hitler would attack. he was dumbfounded when it happened. Look at the speech he gave after the attack. He was obviously shaken.

Yes, he couldn't tell his country that he signed a pact with Germany hoping they would attack him. How would his country react to that? A man like Stalin wouldn't sign a pact with somebody who wants all the power and just lay down to Hitler. He was power hungry and knew the key to power was taking out Hitler. Guys like Hitler and Stalin don't get along very well considering they are all about control and fame.

Both leaders understood very well whoever defeated who would get the power and the fame. But instead of going down in history as great military genuises. People just talk about how evil they were and point out all of their mistakes.

Keep in mind, too, that Stalin had to stall for time. Remember the military purges he'd carried out in the '30s? Stalin needed time. Hitler provided him with some of that time.
And what editec said: Stalin's petition for military alliance was rebuffed by England (this was before the war statred) and so he took the next best avenue available to him at the time. Remember that he did get a buffer (part of Poland) in 1939 when Hitler took over that land, too.

I doubt he trusted Hitler, and I suspect that he planned on taking Germany on when it was weaked enough by its war with the West. The Russians hated Germany and the feeling was mutual.

Stalin was an idiot?

If that's the case, which loser ate cyanide and couldn't handle the tummy ache, begging for a bullet from his deputies?

Hitler was a gay little wimp of a man.

Stalin was not an idiot. He was an asshole.

But at the end of the war, who still lived and owned a country.

Yep, Stalin was a jerk, but Hitler was a loser.

Because Stalin was a coward! Coward usually try to find a little defenselss guy to pick on and then go up to him! they never want to attack the 6'6 250 lb bodybuilder!

There no different than the hypocritical left today. They are deathly afraid of the Islamist, even though all their rhetoric, writings and preaching point to their desire to a global Islamist domination, therefore they look for other targets. Evangenicals, Americans, Jews (esp Jews), Israel, globalization, capitalism etc. They are so afraid of the Islamist they try to make hay with others!
That is why Stalin jumped in bed with Hitler even though Hitler had a butcher knife. Stalin was deathly afraid od him!

Check the FACTS, bro: Most of the combat veterans in the U.S. Congress are DEMOCRATS.

Republicans have "other priorities", as Dick (head) Cheney once said.

The term "Chickenhawk" is applied to Republicans for a reason.

It's absolutely true.

And now this debate is officially over.

Germany's defeat in WWII was mainly due to a superior espionage network between the Soviet Union and Britain and traitors with Germany. A key victory for the British was when Rudolf Hess was lured to Britain on a false effort to end the war on the eve of the invasion of the USSR. After Hess was imprisoned Martin Bormann slide into the extremely powerful position as Reichs Deputy and slowly Germany's fortunes changed.

Many believed that the USSR had a mole in the highest level of the Third Reich and the main suspect was Bormann. Reinhard Gehlen who worked for the "allies" after WWII and ran the intelligence net work of West Germany wrote as much of Bormann. After Hitler commited suicide in the bunker the Nazi inner circle scattered and Bormann disappeared, years later his corpse was found in an area searched earlier but his dental records from late in WWII showed extensive wear and and work that suggests that he lived many years beyond 1945.

As fantastic as all that seems, there is no denying that the lengthy imprisonment and strange death of Rodolph Hess is a question worth studying. Since Hess believed he was on a peace mission and the Wansee Conference had yet to take place. Whatever charges could be made against Hess, "crimes against humanity" and waging war could not be numbered among the charges yet he died mysteriously when the Soviet Union was questioning his sentence. What would Hess have revealed? Was the criminal brute Bormann, who targetted the Catholic and Lutheran Churches, a major reason for the victory over Germany? Yeah, I guess that could much up the history books a tad.

Germany's defeat in WWII was mainly due to a superior espionage network between the Soviet Union and Britain and traitors with Germany. A key victory for the British was when Rudolf Hess was lured to Britain on a false effort to end the war on the eve of the invasion of the USSR. After Hess was imprisoned Martin Bormann slide into the extremely powerful position as Reichs Deputy and slowly Germany's fortunes changed.

Many believed that the USSR had a mole in the highest level of the Third Reich and the main suspect was Bormann. Reinhard Gehlen who worked for the "allies" after WWII and ran the intelligence net work of West Germany wrote as much of Bormann. After Hitler commited suicide in the bunker the Nazi inner circle scattered and Bormann disappeared, years later his corpse was found in an area searched earlier but his dental records from late in WWII showed extensive wear and and work that suggests that he lived many years beyond 1945.

As fantastic as all that seems, there is no denying that the lengthy imprisonment and strange death of Rodolph Hess is a question worth studying. Since Hess believed he was on a peace mission and the Wansee Conference had yet to take place. Whatever charges could be made against Hess, "crimes against humanity" and waging war could not be numbered among the charges yet he died mysteriously when the Soviet Union was questioning his sentence. What would Hess have revealed? Was the criminal brute Bormann, who targetted the Catholic and Lutheran Churches, a major reason for the victory over Germany? Yeah, I guess that could much up the history books a tad.
interesting. I would not have wanted to be a mole for Stalin. Once he was done using you, he would shoot you.

interesting. I would not have wanted to be a mole for Stalin. Once he was done using you, he would shoot you.

The Hess thing is a favorite conspiracy theory.

Stalin actually DID believe he had a deal with Hitler to carve up Europe. The Soviet Union and Germany split Poland in 1939 and each occupied a portion of it. Stalin probably figured -- note this is opinion -- that Hitler how enough on his plate that he couldn't afford to invade Russia too; which, of course is sound reasoning.

Had Stalin thought Hitler would invade Russia, Russia wouldn't have been caught so off-guard. Only the vastness of Russia and winter saved Russia's ass.

Why did Stalin trust Hitler? Because they both had freaky mustaches and killing fetishes.

They were born to tango.

Exactly, the mole in the German High Command, I believe was code named "Werther" and old Joe Stalin did not even know the identity during the war of the spy. Maybe when he was drinking his vodka and signing death warrants late at night he would have bragged to the wrong person. I believe the handler of the "Werther" case in the USSR was Maria Poliakova whose parents were incidentally sent to the Gulags.

The British have been espionage masters since at least Elizabeth had Walsingham and the real "007" John Dee. Besides the "Cambridge 5" in Britain there were many Germans for various reasons that played in the "Rote Capella" (red orchestra).

Forum List

Back