Why war causes mental illnesses

BlueJay28

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2014
My class was working on a report as to why war causes mental illnesses…
I brought up an idea that I don’t think anybody ever brings up.

The Military needs young bodies…
17, 18, 19, 20, 21 years old.
And they need that body... to do the job of a 30 year old brain, with the level of responsibility, dedication, motivation, loyalty and professionalism, that most 50 year olds don’t often exhibit.

The math doesn’t add up.

But it can’t be any other way… we can’t send old people into war because they’re physically unable…
People are just simply not designed for war.

And the more and more and more that society allows, the more free people become... the less used to the conditions of the military that people become accustomed to...
The more damage that war does on the brain.

People are not made for warfare.

It's about coping with brutality, unbelievable living conditions, seeing broken bodies, knowing that no matter how hard you try you very well may not go home at the end. I've seen soldiers quit talking and take abuse because Sergeants think they're a malingerer, I've seen hard core drug use to cope, I've seen soldiers wound themselves in combat so they can go home, I've seen people think they have become invincible and do crazy things that get themselves killed. I've seen it all.

Myself, I was in a position of power and even though only 20, I became a cold blooded killer who didn't care about anything except bringing people home alive and I didn't care how many enemy had to die to make that happen. Coming home, adjustment took two or three months for me, some people never recover, but for those few months I was sensitive to things I had been used to, coming down the hill I would wonder where all the illumination rounds were, gunfire or loud sounds could be frightening, little things like that. Funny though, nearly ten years after, my wife and I went to Disneyland for a long weekend and after dinner I stretched out on the sofa. Thirty minutes later I woke in a panic because I heard artillery fire. My wife looked at me oddly and said what are you talking about? the fireworks show was beginning. So in subtle ways some things may never end. Ultimately, no war is the best solution.

Maybe mental illness causes war.

There definitely have been crazy people to start some wars.[/QUOTE

Every high profile conservative speaker has been the victim of assault on a college campus during their careers. Is it possible that the education system that encourages otherwise sane students to commit outrages on innocent citizens because of what they believe, is an indication that higher education causes mental illness?

Maybe mental illness causes war.

There definitely have been crazy people to start some wars.[/QUOTE

Every high profile conservative speaker has been the victim of assault on a college campus during their careers. Is it possible that the education system that encourages otherwise sane students to commit outrages on innocent citizens because of what they believe, is an indication that higher education causes mental illness?

No, would you let one of those mother fuckers like Dick Cheney send you off to fight a war for them? if anything higher education allows you to see through the fallacy of being sent to war by someone too afraid to go themselves.

killing another human being causes mental illness, equal to witnessing the killing of coworkers and buddies.

both have to be the hardest thing to ever have to witness or do.

killing another human being causes mental illness, equal to witnessing the killing of coworkers and buddies.

Nonsense, the mind has a great capacity to do things that were not intended to do. I saw people killed in combat, I had a good friend who just made you smile to be around him. He took a bullet to the lower jaw and lost his mandible, he choked to death on his own blood while trying to talk. It was one of the saddest and most helpless things I ever witnessed, but you do get over it.

If you learn anything in life no war is better and don't forget it.

The NVA/VC had women and children fighting for them. Doesn't take much strength to pull a trigger. Almost no hand to hand anymore anyway. Some of the meanest low-down nasty people I've ever met were women. Don't sell em short.

Anybody who thinks that a 18, 18, 20 or 21 year old Military Officer or NCO can't meet the level of of responsibility or motivation of a 30 year old civilian obviously never served in the Military. The math adds up fine unless you were raised on video games. How can anyone but a ten year old make a broad statement that "people are simply not designed for war" when some fields of psychology indicate that people are designed for war and aren't able to cope with peace. The notion that Soldiers might become mentally unstable because they are forced to accept responsibilities is absurd and frankly insulting.

Last edited:

And they need that body... to do the job of a 30 year old brain, with the level of responsibility, dedication, motivation, loyalty and professionalism, that most 50 year olds don’t often exhibit.

The math doesn’t add up.

But it can’t be any other way… we can’t send old people into war because they’re physically unable…

And the more and more and more that society allows, the more free people become... the less used to the conditions of the military that people become accustomed to...

Sights , sounds , smells , witnessing events.

I was in the Gulf and seen the " Highway of death " where aircraft strafed Iraqi vehicles. Bodies - charred vehicles - and other gruesome scenes.

No matter how strong or how well trained, the mind and it's psyche is only so strong . The body and mind has limitations. Even for Prisoners of war whom are taught not only how to survive in captivity, but to do math problems in their head- picture buildings and topography around them while locked up as to plan an escape...... It only lasts so long.

Shell shock. Burning items , tv shows , everyday events..,,and a host of others can make the mind re-live the horrors of past.

People who went where others did not , and done a mission that others could not even fathom. Combat Wounded Veterans deserve all the help they can get. Some illnesses ( combat & non combat. ) can truly not be seen.

Rape victims , victims of a horrible or violent crime , being bullied constantly and belittled, and psychological and mental abuse such as a battered woman in a relationship and her significant other shows himself as the macho man always in control.

Damage can be psychological - mental - physical ; or a combination of the three. In any case, it is a mission for the proper medical professionals to take care of !

Shadow 355

The medical problems ( seen and unseen ) can occur immediately or later. And they can reoccur .

Environmental stresses: harsh and bullying people are the stressors..... Or triggers .

Combat - a bad home life - oppressive and harsh workplace. You have to rid if the triggers; the stressors ........ to help aid in the heeling and problem solving process.

Some people whom can help would rather not , due to underlying personal reasons. They would rather see chaos than peace. Chaos benefits them because they are in control . They like to see people break their backs and suffer at their commands.

Shadow 355

The math doesn’t add up.

Sights , sounds , smells , witnessing events.

I was in the Gulf and seen the " Highway of death " where aircraft strafed Iraqi vehicles. Bodies - charred vehicles - and other gruesome scenes.

No matter how strong or how well trained, the mind and it's psyche is only so strong . The body and mind has limitations. Even for Prisoners of war whom are taught not only how to survive in captivity, but to do math problems in their head- picture buildings and topography around them while locked up as to plan an escape...... It only lasts so long.

Shell shock. Burning items , tv shows , everyday events..,,and a host of others can make the mind re-live the horrors of past.

People who went where others did not , and done a mission that others could not even fathom. Combat Wounded Veterans deserve all the help they can get. Some illnesses ( combat & non combat. ) can truly not be seen.

Rape victims , victims of a horrible or violent crime , being bullied constantly and belittled, and psychological and mental abuse such as a battered woman in a relationship and her significant other shows himself as the macho man always in control.

Damage can be psychological - mental - physical ; or a combination of the three. In any case, it is a mission for the proper medical professionals to take care of !

Shadow 355

We had the greatest generation of WW2 come back from combat and build America without complaining. Today we have a bunch of cry babies who claim that they are traumatized, not by combat but by seeing ....sob....sob so many dead freaking enemies. We have a bunch of "Veterans" today who demand compensation for seeing the results of successful Military operations when their tender bodies weren't even involved. What do we do with the generation of kids who were raised on violent freaking movies and video games?

The math doesn’t add up.

It's like what they said in one of the latter Harry Potter movies about the Horcrux and how murder fractures your soul. So's war and killing.

We had the greatest generation of WW2 come back from combat and build America without complaining. Today we have a bunch of cry babies who claim that they are traumatized, not by combat but by seeing ....sob....sob so many dead freaking enemies. We have a bunch of "Veterans" today who demand compensation for seeing the results of successful Military operations when their tender bodies weren't even involved. What do we do with the generation of kids who were raised on violent freaking movies and video games?

WWII was a different era, different homecoming, different economy. Veterans had jobs, veterans had opportunity, veterans had the GI bill, veterans had cheap affordable housing, and unfortunately, symptoms of PTSD wouldn't even be explored for another thirty five years after the war's end. There definitely were soldiers affected just as there were during the first war when it was described as shell shock. After WWII it was called by a whole variety of things besides what it actually was.

Modern soldiers, have found comfort in a system that recognizes that mental trauma is a serious and verifiable injury. I can understand your angst over this system, but calling a soldier a crybaby is an undeserved slur against the military. Yes, the system is getting milked, I have no doubt of that but I think it is unfair to make a broad generalization as you have. The VA needs reform and I frankly have no clue how that should be accomplished other than more drones and robots but it definitely needs work.

Bullshit. The only "crybaby" involved here is you. Did somebody ever tell you you had enough on the ball to judge the presence or severity of combat disabilities? If so, they lied.
There is no reason what-so-ever to believe that WWII vets were less effected by PTSD than any other vets.

"Today we have a bunch of cry babies who claim that they are traumatized, not by combat but by seeing ....sob....sob so many dead freaking enemies. We have a bunch of "Veterans" today who demand compensation for seeing the results of successful Military operations when their tender bodies weren't even involved."

Really? The truth is you don't know or care what you are talking about. The truth is that the veteran is required to prove that he was in fact exposed to situation(s) that might reasonably cause PTSD as part of his duties and must again prove to the satisfaction of government shrinks that he does in fact have the disorder.
Like the man said: "He jeers who never felt a wound."

It's tough bein' a marine...

Mental Health Stigma Debilitates Some Marines
May 02, 2016 | Lance Cpl. James Nuzzolillo knew he needed to seek help after he had a breakdown, crying and hyperventilating in an office at Camp Lejeune.
Nuzzolillo hesitated to seek help. He didn't want to be labeled as "that guy," he said. He added that no one wants to be "that guy" who falls out of a hike, or "that guy" who can't complete a run. Essentially, no one wants to show any sign of vulnerability. Mental health is often associated with a stigma and within the United States' Marine Corps, that stigma is heightened by a need to eliminate weakness.

Marines need help, too

Marines protect their homes, their country, their families. They protect strangers who won't ever thank them for the sacrifices they make on a daily basis. The sacrifices begin in boot camp when recruits are first subjected to the demanding actions asked of them. They are screamed at and pushed to their limits through obstacle courses and rifle training. Recruits endure 13 weeks of boot camp before performing the ultimate test -- The Crucible. In 54 hours' time recruits survive on limited food and sleep to overcome obstacle after obstacle at the end of their boot camp journey. And that's all before they officially become a Marine.

marine-recruits-teamwork-ts600.jpg

Recruits from Charlie Company use teamwork to climb a 15-foot wall, Dec. 13, 2012, at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, S.C​

In return, society often views Marines as tough -- so tough they shouldn't need help. While most agree Marines are some of the most resilient men and women in America, the daily strains of their jobs can take a toll on their mental well-being. Being away from their loved ones for months to years at a time, seeing combat and feeling the pressure of the image of strength they're sometimes expected to portray affects them.

Nuzzolillo, 25, said he was having heavy suicidal thoughts. When the thoughts started, his first instinct was to suppress them, to eliminate that weakness. "I didn't think I needed any help," he said. He explained how he was feeling to his gunnery sergeant and Nuzzolillo was told that since he hadn't seen combat, he shouldn't have these feelings. "It made me feel like I didn't deserve to feel how I felt," Nuzzolillo said.

Receiving push-back

See also:

Headstone Fixes Error for MoH Recipient More than 140 Years Later
May 02, 2016 | A Canadian-born sailor was remembered during a ceremony in Washington last week, more than 140 years after a heroic deed earned him America's highest military medal -- a honor that was omitted on his headstone.
Medal of Honor recipient Joseph B. Noil, who moved from Nova Scotia to New York and joined the U.S. Navy during the Civil War, was honored with a new headstone Friday during a ceremony at St. Elizabeths Hospital Cemetery attended by family members, veterans and representatives from the Canadian embassy. Noil's original memorial also misspelled his name. Historians from the Medal of Honor Historical Society investigated Noil's case and corrected the oversight that was "likely because of a clerical error on his death certificate," a Navy statement said.

The day after Christmas 1872, while serving aboard the USS Powhatan near Norfolk, Virginia, Noil jumped into the frigid Atlantic Ocean to save shipmate J.C. Walton from drowning. After hearing the man overboard cry, Noil "ran on deck, took the end of a rope, went overboard, under the bow, and caught Mr. Walton, who was then in the water, and held him until he was hauled into the boat sent to his rescue," the ship's commander wrote in a memo published Jan. 11, 1873, in the Army and Navy Journal. "The weather was bitter cold, and had been sleeting, and it was blowing a gale from the northwest at the time. Mr. Walton, when brought on board, was almost insensible, and would have perished but for the noble conduct of Noil, as he was sinking at the time he was rescued."

joseph-noil-804-ts600.jpg

District of Columbia Executive Director of the Mayor's Office of Veterans Affairs Tammi Lambert, left, and Director of the Department of Behavioral Health Tanya A. Royster unveil the headstone for Medal of Honor recipient Joseph Noil.​

Noil, who retired with a captain in hold rank in 1881 after being hospitalized with a "paralysis" diagnosis, died the following year, the statement said. "Your shipmate is not simply someone who happens to serve with you," Vice Adm. Robin Braun, chief of Naval Reserve, said at the ceremony. "He or she is someone who you know that you can trust and count on to stand by you in good times and bad and who will forever have your back. So by ... rededicating his headstone, we are not only correcting a wrong, we are highlighting and reinforcing the eternal bond which exists between shipmates past, present and those yet to come."

Headstone Fixes Error for MoH Recipient More than 140 Years Later | Military.com

Last edited:

Forum List

Back