Why the GOP should never rule Warshington

Omg...get ready for BoBo's speech on Captain America(Obama) will change Washington. Then endless unsupported chants as to how "all" Republicans are 'Bad'. He may even throw some baseless examples of how Mccain really is Bush in his own 'Bush Deranged' opinion of course, that will be touted as fact.

You know Jreeves, I could of swore Barack Obama was more like Superman.

$Barack Obama is Superman.jpg

:rofl:

But Captain America is close though so I'll give you points for that. :D

Read the article N*mb N*ts. While Lehman Brothers pushed for tax breaks for foreign investors, the IRS looked the other way. Now Lehman Brothers is going under and wants US tax payers to bail them out. And this administration may, if not blocked by Congress, throw them a life line.

Jim, staying on topic? How out of step you are in this place where people like to take interesting topics and then turn them into insult-fests.:clap2:

Yeah, you got it.

But do bear in mind that the system that rewards the rich for taking their money off-shore is not ONLY the Republicans' fault.

This same crap was happening under Clinton. The Dems are as responsible for FREE TRADE (and the right to move money offshores which is part of FREE TRADE) as the Republicans are.

And the DEMS are bailing out their corporate banking masters, too.

The only major difference is that the Dems ALSO want to bail out the homeowners as WELL AS THE BANKS.

The Republicans seem to want to bail out only the banks but let the people hang.

That's only a big difference if you happen to be one of the people the Dems want to help out.

Basically, when it comes to saving the banking system, both parties are on the same page.

They believe, and I'm inclined to agree with them, that if these major banks fail our entire banking system fails with them.

Now I am also of the opinion if you DO bail out the banks, the system is going to crash and burn, too...only slightly later.

I'm telling you Monday is going to be an interesting day on the market, folks.

Lehman's troubles, and AIC's troubles, too, are going to seriously put this nation's economy into a financial tizzy.

And those aren't the only gigantic banks and insurance companies in trouble, either.

WAMU is in trouble as are others, many of which we have never heard of , unless we are serious investors playing the derivitives game.

I'm so clueless in that arena, that I can't even describe how that game is played to be honest.

:cuckoo:

:cuckoo: wHATEVER SIR.

Hey, did you hear because of the hurricane gas in Michigan and a few other parts of the country, gas is shooting up to $5 or even $6 a gallon!!!!

I knew the GOP would have the balls to push it to at least $5.

:clap2:

Whoa. Wait a minute here dingbat, are you serious?

You REALLY think gas going higher from hurricane effects in the gulf is the fault of republicans?

You're not able to comprehend how that is really just a typical market reaction?

I read board where people discuss the market.

Yesterday I read about some gas stations jacking up the price of gas to over $5 in anticipation of the storm.

The Gov. of KY was talking about declaring a state of emergency because of it.

the market had nothing to do with it.

Pure greed was in play.

Anyone who thinks any politician is a superhero doesn't have a firm grasp on reality.:eusa_whistle:

:eusa_whistle: Well my comment was a joke because of the picture.

Though if McCain was a superhero, he just might be the Hulk.

$McCain_Hulk.jpg

:rofl:

I read board where people discuss the market.

Yesterday I read about some gas stations jacking up the price of gas to over $5 in anticipation of the storm.

The Gov. of KY was talking about declaring a state of emergency because of it.

the market had nothing to do with it.

Pure greed was in play.

As a businessman, you'd be an idiot to jack the price up that high before the market reacted in such a way to justify the price. Doing it ahead of time is just dumb. For all you know, the storm changes course at the last minute and misses vital areas. The justification for higher prices would be reductions in refined gas production, which you wouldn't realize until after you see what the storm does.

There's a big difference between gouging, and reacting to the market's conditions. I don't see how either of which are dependant upon a specific side of the political spectrum, though.

If you REALLY wanted to make it a political cat fight, you could argue that if the liberals had been willing to allow more drilling and more refineries, there wouldn't be as much potentiality for shortage after huge storms like Gustav or Ike. And I'm not exactly the biggest defender of the Republican Party around here.

Or if they'd let us build nuclear power plants in the 80s and 90s like we wanted to.

Dumb pricks.

Chernobyl disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This didn't have anything to do with it. Right Allie? :rolleyes:

So shit can the entire effort because of one bad event?

We might as well do away with airplanes, cars, trains, high rise buildings, coal mines, natural gas plants, knives, forks, sewing needles, hockey pucks, lighters, matches...

Those things have all killed people in a time of extreme rare occurance, so clearly they're all unsafe to be pursued in the market.

So shit can the entire effort because of one bad event?

We might as well do away with airplanes, cars, trains, high rise buildings, coal mines, natural gas plants, knives, forks, sewing needles, hockey pucks, lighters, matches...

Those things have all killed people in a time of extreme rare occurance, so clearly they're all unsafe to be pursued in the market.

Of course not, but Chernobyl was one of the reasons that Nuclear Energy was stayed away from by many countries.

Even Obama believes in Nuclear Energy as long as it's more safer.

More safer than what? Chernobyl? I don't think we need to worry about that. The reason Chernobyl happened was because the GOVERNMENT was interfering with things they had no business interfering in, i.e., determining protocol and hiring standards and such that really they weren't qualified to determine.

Of course not, but Chernobyl was one of the reasons that Nuclear Energy was stayed away from by many countries.

Even Obama believes in Nuclear Energy as long as it's more safer.

I don't think anyone's ever advocated pursuing less safe nuclear power. But you alluded to Chernobyl as being a possible reason why liberals have blocked the pursuit of more nuclear plants.

Meltdowns probably happen less frequently than plane crashes, so I'd say that nuclear power is ALREADY safer than it used to be. So why not pursue it now, instead of using Chernobyl as a reason NOT to?

I don't think anyone's ever advocated pursuing less safe nuclear power. But you alluded to Chernobyl as being a possible reason why liberals have blocked the pursuit of more nuclear plants.

Meltdowns probably happen less frequently than plane crashes, so I'd say that nuclear power is ALREADY safer than it used to be. So why not pursue it now, instead of using Chernobyl as a reason NOT to?

I alluded Chernobyl as a possible reason why other countries have avoided Nuclear Energy (though not the only one). Didn't mean it as why the liberals have blocked it.

I agree if it's safe and won't hurt us then I don't see why not use it.

We were talking about other countries? I thought we were talking about stupid reasons the libs blocked nuclear power in this country.

The economy is very well. IT is behaving EXACTLY as it SHOULD.

Oh, and we lost over 300 last week to traffic accidents. Afgahnistan is SAFER than our own highways....

Behaving like it should? What planet do you live on? Our economy should not in bombing in the manner that it is. There was a serious failure by the Bush Administration to stave off these problems before they occurred. Instead they are more worried about throwing billions at a "War on Terror" that has been utterly useless to date. Congratulations Bush and to the conservative lemmings that support him. Its been a hell of an eight years. Cant wait for them to be over.

We were talking about other countries? I thought we were talking about stupid reasons the libs blocked nuclear power in this country.

what libs and how did they do what you said?

it is my understanding that LOCAL PEOPLE have done such, the NIMBY Factor, and these local people are not only liberals but conservatives who don't want the nuke plants in their back yard....not after 3 mile island and chernobyl....neither side of the aisle have pushed nuclear since....even though it has improved and is safer now....it's the nuclear waste and where to put it and how to get it ''there'' is the problem and locals objecting to the gvt bringing this waste through their towns....

what libs and how did they do what you said?

it is my understanding that LOCAL PEOPLE have done such, the NIMBY Factor, and these local people are not only liberals but conservatives who don't want the nuke plants in their back yard....not after 3 mile island and chernobyl....neither side of the aisle have pushed nuclear since....even though it has improved and is safer now....it's the nuclear waste and where to put it and how to get it ''there'' is the problem and locals objecting to the gvt bringing this waste through their towns....
Safe Nuclear Energy
The majority of Americans believe nuclear energy is safe:

Nearly Seven of 10 Americans Favor Nuclear Energy: Public favorability of nuclear energy as one of the sources of electricity has exceeded 60 percent since 2001. In a September 2006 survey, 68% favor nuclear energy; 27% oppose. Two national surveys taken in April 2004 find 65% of Americans favor the use of nuclear energy for electricity, and 73% of college graduate voters support nuclear energy.

Two national surveys find favorable public attitudes toward nuclear energy at a record high. One survey of the U.S. public at large found that 65 percent favor the use of nuclear energy. The other survey of only college graduates who are registered to vote found that nearly three-quarters favor the use of nuclear energy as one of America’s options to generate electricity. The surveys were conducted April 16-20, 2004, for the Nuclear Energy Institute by Bisconti Research, Inc.
Energy Concerns Drive Record Public Favorability for Nuclear Energy
By Ann Stouffer Bisconti, Ph.D.
President, Bisconti Research Inc.

Opposition to nuclear energy comes from a small but vocal minority of the American public. Opponents of nuclear energy threaten lawsuits and political action against electric power companies. For this reason, electric power companies in the United States have not ordered a new nuclear power plant in 25 years.

If the American people fail to communicate their support for nuclear energy to their legislators, the opponents of nuclear energy will continue to stop new power plants from being built. If the opponents of nuclear energy continue to block the construction of nuclear power plants, there will be no future for nuclear engineers in America. Universities will stop offering nuclear engineering courses and the United States will fall behind the technology. America is at risk of losing its nuclear engineering expertise.

The anti-nuclear protesters are irrational, says a psychiatrist and expert on fears and phobias who has studied and analyzed social perceptions of nuclear energy, see: A PBS interview with Dr. Robert DuPont — Dr. Robert L. DuPont is a practicing psychiatrist and a clinical professor of psychiatry at Georgetown University School of Medicine. He is also the author of “The Selfish Brain: Learning from Addiction” and “Nuclear phobia—phobic thinking about nuclear power: A discussion with Robert L. DuPont”.

Safe Nuclear Energy
The majority of Americans believe nuclear energy is safe:

Nearly Seven of 10 Americans Favor Nuclear Energy: Public favorability of nuclear energy as one of the sources of electricity has exceeded 60 percent since 2001. In a September 2006 survey, 68% favor nuclear energy; 27% oppose. Two national surveys taken in April 2004 find 65% of Americans favor the use of nuclear energy for electricity, and 73% of college graduate voters support nuclear energy.

Two national surveys find favorable public attitudes toward nuclear energy at a record high. One survey of the U.S. public at large found that 65 percent favor the use of nuclear energy. The other survey of only college graduates who are registered to vote found that nearly three-quarters favor the use of nuclear energy as one of America’s options to generate electricity. The surveys were conducted April 16-20, 2004, for the Nuclear Energy Institute by Bisconti Research, Inc.
Energy Concerns Drive Record Public Favorability for Nuclear Energy
By Ann Stouffer Bisconti, Ph.D.
President, Bisconti Research Inc.

Opposition to nuclear energy comes from a small but vocal minority of the American public. Opponents of nuclear energy threaten lawsuits and political action against electric power companies. For this reason, electric power companies in the United States have not ordered a new nuclear power plant in 25 years.

If the American people fail to communicate their support for nuclear energy to their legislators, the opponents of nuclear energy will continue to stop new power plants from being built. If the opponents of nuclear energy continue to block the construction of nuclear power plants, there will be no future for nuclear engineers in America. Universities will stop offering nuclear engineering courses and the United States will fall behind the technology. America is at risk of losing its nuclear engineering expertise.

The anti-nuclear protesters are irrational, says a psychiatrist and expert on fears and phobias who has studied and analyzed social perceptions of nuclear energy, see: A PBS interview with Dr. Robert DuPont — Dr. Robert L. DuPont is a practicing psychiatrist and a clinical professor of psychiatry at Georgetown University School of Medicine. He is also the author of “The Selfish Brain: Learning from Addiction” and “Nuclear phobia—phobic thinking about nuclear power: A discussion with Robert L. DuPont”.

yes, americans believe nuclear is safe now, BUT when it comes to putting a nuke plant NEAR THEM, in their neighborhoods, THEY REJECT IT!!!!

NOT in MY back yard, is what they say.... :(

Forum List

Back