Why the Bible must be taught in Public Schools

Do you agree with the argument in the thread (not necessarily the application)

• Yes

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Somewhere in between

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
If theology is to be explored at all at the primary JR, or HS level, all theology should be studied, and it should be studied as such. Truth in advertising, peoples. If you would like science labeled "theory", even though much scientific theory is already presented as such, maybe the science departments wouldn't mind putting what is not concrete as THEORY in all caps as a heading.

What are you referring to (what is not concrete)?

I further would argue that if you are afraid that your child's exposure to Christianity, and to what Christianity teaches and is about, is going to make your child a Christian, then you should have your head examined.

we could change that... you want to teach your kid the old testament only and tell them the messiah hasn't come yet?

i'm down with that.

otherwise, tell ya what... you teach YOUR children YOUR religion and I'll teach MY son MY religion.

See how easy that is... and why schools can't indoctrinate children...aside from the constitutional barriers, that is.

If theology is to be explored at all at the primary JR, or HS level, all theology should be studied, and it should be studied as such. Truth in advertising, peoples. If you would like science labeled "theory", even though much scientific theory is already presented as such, maybe the science departments wouldn't mind putting what is not concrete as THEORY in all caps as a heading.

Science works in theory. That is how it tests hypothesis. Plate tectonics (sp?) was a theory before it was established by scientific proof. Accepted theories are sometimes amended by new information, much as plate tectonics replaced an older understanding that was based on older methods of inquiry.

Sorry about the double post. My browser didn't look like it was moving, so I thought I didn't hit it.

Changes are highlighted.

No one can disagree with the fact and truth that the Koran is a worldview. The Old Testament forms the Hebraic worldview. The New Testament and the Old forms the Christian worldview. And the Koran forms the Islamic worldview.

A worldview is the process of socialization, the lens through which we interpret events, and thus determine the outcome of politics, ethics, laws and etc.

There is an identifiable, hostile to Islam, worldview taught in Public Schools.

It is called secular humanism.

Secular humanism argues in part that truth is relative, that morals are experiential and not absolute, that science is opposed to religion (even though science was created by men of the Islamic worldview, for Muslims, and Muslims don't disagree with science since like terrorism, it is a strategy; an approach...not a belief).

Secular humanism is an affront to Islam, it has a broad spectrum of results, from Hitler, to the UK, from New England to modern Germany, but secular humanism can be brutish, and is illogical.

Of course, public schools no longer teach logic to children.

Because, secular humanism is a worldview, just as Islam is a worldview; because secular humanism is in conflict with Islam; because the Government (Federal nor State) can choose one religion over another, or anti-religion over pro-religion, or vice versa;

It should be resolved that the Koran must be taught in public schools.

I further would argue that if you are afraid that your child's exposure to Islam, and to what Islam teaches and is about, is going to make your child a Muslim, then you should have your head examined.

Debate.

I assume that Evangelical completely agrees that the Koran should be taught in public schools.

No one can disagree with the fact and truth that the Bible is a worldview. The Old Testament forms the Hebraic worldview. The New Testament and the Old forms the Christian worldview.

A worldview is the process of socialization, the lens through which we interpret events, and thus determine the outcome of politics, ethics, laws and etc.

There is an identifiable, hostile to Christianity, worldview taught in Public Schools.

The superstitious find the rejection of the mystical, spiritual and supernatural to be "hostile." Superstitions find competing superstitions hostile, as well as beleifs based upon verifiable evidence and valid logic. Christianity is not particularly different or being particularly targeted.

Secular humanism argues in part that truth is relative, . . .
I'm not at all sure this is true, but what is unquestionably true is that Christianity argues that truth is ENTIRELY relative.

. . . that morals are experiential and not absolute, . . .
I'm not sure this is entirely true either, but what is unquestionably true is that Christianity argues that morals are unfounded in any objective reality, and that they are ENTIRELY subjective.

. . . that science is opposed to religion (even though science was created by men of the Christian worldview, for Christians, and Christians don't disagree with science since like terrorism, it is a strategy; an approach...not a belief).
I'm pretty sure that none of this is the least bit true, but what is true is that science opposes religion only in that for science, the conviction in the truth of an assertion is founded upon upon verifiable evidence and valid logic, rather than one's capacity for the denial of verifiable evidence and valid logic.

Secular humanism is an affront to Christianity, . . .
Chrisitanity is an affront to reason and decency. I cite as evidence the crucifiction of Jesus.

. . . it has a broad spectrum of results, from Hitler, . . .
Who had far more in common with Christians than secular humanists.

. . . to the UK, from New England to modern Germany, . . .
I'm sure secular humanists will accept whatever credit you'd give them.

. . . but secular humanism can be brutish, . . .
Secular humanists can be brutish, but Chrisitanity is without question brutish. I cite as evidence the crucifiction of Jesus.

. . . and is illogical.
Secular humanists can be illogical, but Chrisitanity is without question illogical. I cite as evidence the crucifiction of Jesus.

Governments and religions both have a long history of maintaining political power by hobbling the intellects, and controlling the thoughts of those they wish to subjugate.

Because, secular humanism is a worldview, just as Christianity is a worldview; because secular humanism is in conflict with Christianity; because the Government (Federal nor State) can choose one religion over another, or anti-religion over pro-religion, or vice versa;

It should be resolved that the Bible must be taught in public schools.
Oh, I whole heartedly agree! Right there with all the other mythologies. But I think that the Christian mythological traditions should receive special focus in that the Christian mythology, with it's appurtenant symbolism and ritual, was and remains an imortant ifluence on the fabric of this nation's society.

I further would argue that if you are afraid that your child's exposure to Christianity, and to what Christianity teaches and is about, is going to make your child a Christian, then you should have your head examined.
I'm not afraid to expose any child to any superstition--I just do the right thing by pointing out the proper relationship superstition should have with reality.

Science works in theory. That is how it tests hypothesis. Plate tectonics (sp?) was a theory before it was established by scientific proof. Accepted theories are sometimes amended by new information, much as plate tectonics replaced an older understanding that was based on older methods of inquiry.

I'm glad you weren't referring to Creationism :)

No one can disagree with the fact and truth that the Bible is a worldview. The Old Testament forms the Hebraic worldview. The New Testament and the Old forms the Christian worldview.

There is an identifiable, hostile to Christianity, worldview taught in Public Schools.

Secular humanism argues in part that truth is relative, that morals are experiential and not absolute, that science is opposed to religion (even though science was created by men of the Christian worldview, for Christians, and Christians don't disagree with science since like terrorism, it is a strategy; an approach...not a belief).

Secular humanism is an affront to Christianity, it has a broad spectrum of results, from Hitler,

Check out what Luther, founder of the German Lutheran church, said about the Jews before making that deduction.

to the UK, from New England to modern Germany,

What's wrong with the UK, New England and Germany?

but secular humanism can be brutish, and is illogical.

So is Christianity

Did they ever?

Because, secular humanism is a worldview, just as Christianity is a worldview; because secular humanism is in conflict with Christianity; because the Government (Federal nor State) can choose one religion over another, or anti-religion over pro-religion, or vice versa;

You never got that class in logic either, did you?

There is no neutrality, secular humanism is not "religious neutrality", it is teaching immorality to youths.

I'm assuming you have no problem with the Qur'an, the Confucian Analects, the Bhagavad Gita, the Adi Granth, The Communist Manifesto, Mao's Little Red Book, and Qutb's Milestones being taught as well, correct? After all, each represents a significant "worldview."

Kalam, you missed the manifest of the Flying Spagetti Monster! I now feel discriminated in my religion!!!

If you want to promote christianity amongst youths, stick the "parental advisory need, explicit contents" on the bible that especially the Old testament definitly deserves.

Except my taxes don't go to private schools, or Sunday schools, or CCD, or anything of that nature.

My taxes go to PUBLIC SCHOOL.

So the Public School that I pay for, and that other Christians pay for, are hostile to our children.

How are you not already violating the US Constitution by teaching a secular humanist worldview, denying the Christian worldview, and therefore choosing one religion over another?

How about Christians leave Public Schools, and stop paying taxes for them too?

puleeze... my taxes went to a stupid and pointless war of choice in Iraq... that's life. You can keep yours if i can keep mine. I'm guessing I'd do better on that deal than you would. If you want your child taught your religion, you have to do whatI do... send them for religious instruction or teach them yourself.

If you want your kids to be taught The Bible then send them to a private school, Sunday school, or CCD or something of that nature. There are plenty of options available that don't violate the separation of church and state.

Except my taxes don't go to private schools, or Sunday schools, or CCD, or anything of that nature.

So the Public School that I pay for, and that other Christians pay for, are hostile to our children.

How are you not already violating the US Constitution by teaching a secular humanist worldview, denying the Christian worldview, and therefore choosing one religion over another?

Dude... you are going to have to accept that the beliefs, doctrines and dogmas of all the religions of all tax payers be taught in public schools or none, and religion should be taught at home.

What is it going to be?

Personally I think schools should spend the limited resources we give them on readin', writin' & 'rithmetic... Leave the religious indoctrination to the parents.

-Joe

There is no neutrality, secular humanism is not "religious neutrality", it is teaching immorality to youths.

That's odd.

That's what I think of most of the Christians evangelists' teaching.

I think most of my fellow Christians are very immoral people.

Certainly almost none of them I know would make Jesus, as I understand his message, very proud.

In fact, almost without exception, the least morally correct people i have ever known claimed to be Christians.

Odd how differently we see the world, isn't it?

It should not be taught, nor should any religious thome.

Religion is a personal matter, not a public one, and history does not need to be taught from a religious standpoint.

Secular humanism argues in part that truth is relative, that morals are experiential and not absolute, that science is opposed to religion (even though science was created by men of the Christian worldview, for Christians, and Christians don't disagree with science since like terrorism, it is a strategy; an approach...not a belief).

Secular humanism is an affront to Christianity, it has a broad spectrum of results, from Hitler, to the UK, from New England to modern Germany, but secular humanism can be brutish, and is illogical.

Isn't there some shit in there about executing women who get married but aren't virgins, and stoning adulterers to death?

Care to explain that?

And don't give me any shit about how the old testament doens't count. You wingnuts use the old testament to justify your hatred of gays. So the OT does count.

There is also a bit about if two men are fighting and the wife of man1 tries to break up the fight and inadvertently grabs man2's penis, then the wife must have her hand cut off.

But I am sure these are morally acceptable behaviors

If you want your kids to be taught The Bible then send them to a private school, Sunday school, or CCD or something of that nature. There are plenty of options available that don't violate the separation of church and state.

and unless you want Islam, Hebrew, atheism, Wiccan, etc., taught, stfu. Those people pay into the public schools too. You have choices, as do they. You want your kids taught subjects with your religious slant? Home school or pony up for the private school of your choice.

Who's Christian viewpoint are we going to teach? Lutheran? Baptist? Methodist? Episcopalian? Catholic? Unitarian? Assembly of God? Pentecostal? The list goes on and on and on.

I have absolutely no problem with the teaching of a comparative religions class in fact I think it would be great. Every student should know how religion/faith has influenced the world. But, I have a problem with the State indoctrinating my children into a state religion even if that state religion is Christianity, because there is no telling whose view of Christianity is going to be taught.

Quite personally, I do not want my children taught that if they don't speak in tongues (the babbling version of tongues) that they are not true Christians and they are bound for Hell. I also do not want my children taught that every thing the Pope speaks is God's word and he thus must be obeyed without question.

Thank you, but I will reserve the right to teach my children about my faith (and pray that they will come to that faith) on my own. Quite frankly, I do not want Barack Obama insisting that my children be taught Black Liberation Theology!

and unless you want Islam, Hebrew, atheism, Wiccan, etc., taught, stfu. Those people pay into the public schools too. You have choices, as do they. You want your kids taught subjects with your religious slant? Home school or pony up for the private school of your choice.

Truthfully, I do not mind my children being taught about these other religions. They cannot come to appreciate their faith if they do not understand the faith of other religions as well. But, I do not want the state indoctrinating my kids. Teaching about religion and the various faiths of the world is a good thing. Teaching a faith as if it is THE faith by THE state is an awful idea.

Immie

Forum List

Back