Why tax income and subsidizes failures?

but the issues you talk about have nothing to do with the Fair Tax

the fair tax or sales tax is way too dangerous since it will be added to all the other taxes rather than used to replace all the other taxes. Thankfully there is little to no constituency for it.

What other issues?

In order for you to evade the Fair Tax you will need a second party to agree to not collect the tax from you....in which they will be held accountable and prosecuted. Good luck getting them to agree to save you money.

The other issues are that it would require legislative agreement and movement that is so radical it won't happen. It would be politicked to death by people with a vested interest in gaming the system. There would be loopholes of one kind or another that would take teams of lawyers to exploit.
Do you think people do not evade state sales taxes now? Really?

I understand your concerns, but the issues you talk about have nothing to do with the Fair Tax but everything to do with people and our representatives. I support the bill as it is designed currently and I believe most Americans would but that is no guarantee that they will not try and change it. Politicians and businesses will be threatened by it and will try and twist it their favor.
My goal is to spread the word so everyone knows exactly what it is and why it is structured the way it is.

And yes...people do try and evade sales tax. But really, do you think we will loose even half the amount of taxes with the Fair Tax as we do with the income tax from cheaters?

We probably lose far more in sales tax than income tax. Although it's a toss up.
I appreciate the sentiment. Anything would be better than the current system. But a flat tax is historically proven and more likely to be adopted.

but the issues you talk about have nothing to do with the Fair Tax

the fair tax or sales tax is way too dangerous since it will be added to all the other taxes rather than used to replace all the other taxes. Thankfully there is little to no constituency for it.

Under the Fair Tax legislation it requires that it can not exist with any of the other taxes it replaces. Including the repealing the income tax amendment to the constitution.

Exactly.....so are you saying the tax code does not effect this?

the liberals can throw a monkey wrench into the machinery and harm economic growth and they can take it out to get us back to neutral, but they cant really cause growth because they are bureaucrats who don't invent new products.

That is why the income tax destroys economic growth.

In order to have a government you will always need taxes. The question is how do you collect them so they do the least amount of harm. Taxing productivity doesn't make sense.
The Fair Tax has no exemptions and in across the board. If you raise it....it is raised for everyone.

OMG! Blasphemy! Taxes must always be raised on "the rich"! The rich have more and should therefore pay more...it's only fair.

The only "fair tax" is a pure flat rate tax with no deductions.
10% on 1,000 or 1,000,000,000.

No different rates for type of income.

actually the ony fair tax or price is the one everyone pays. When you walk in a supermarket everyone pays the same price for a can of soup. When you pay for a fighter plane, for example, the same principle should apply.

So, every American taxpayer should pay $27,000 if the Feds want to spend $4 trillion a year.

Except for the ones who use corporate loopholes, etc.
Their yacht is owned by their company, etc. They lease not own their Mercedes....

The fair tax is very regressive, and would end up being shouldered mostly by the poor.

It is the least regressive. It has a prebate that will allow every house hold to receive a check every month that is based on the people in their family. This will off set the taxes on products for that month.

Plus, everyone currently pays 22% of embedded taxes on all products they purchase. Rich or poor.

I get the feeling you are addressing a libtard zombie who has never personally researched the Fair Tax but who is thoroughly indoctrinated in the libtard/progressive talking points opposing such an idea. Good luck, though.

The other issues are that it would require legislative agreement and movement that is so radical it won't happen. It would be politicked to death by people with a vested interest in gaming the system. There would be loopholes of one kind or another that would take teams of lawyers to exploit.
Do you think people do not evade state sales taxes now? Really?

I understand your concerns, but the issues you talk about have nothing to do with the Fair Tax but everything to do with people and our representatives. I support the bill as it is designed currently and I believe most Americans would but that is no guarantee that they will not try and change it. Politicians and businesses will be threatened by it and will try and twist it their favor.
My goal is to spread the word so everyone knows exactly what it is and why it is structured the way it is.

And yes...people do try and evade sales tax. But really, do you think we will loose even half the amount of taxes with the Fair Tax as we do with the income tax from cheaters?

We probably lose far more in sales tax than income tax. Although it's a toss up.
I appreciate the sentiment. Anything would be better than the current system. But a flat tax is historically proven and more likely to be adopted.

Though I disagree about loosing more revenue, I do agree that the flat tax is more likely to pass..mainly because it still gives the politicians a chance to retain power over the tax system thus can be bought by lobbyist.

Though the flat tax is more likely to pass this doesn't mean it is a better system. It will still punish productivity. Thus, only the ones that work legally pay.

Though I disagree about loosing more revenue, I do agree that the flat tax is more likely to pass..mainly because it still gives the politicians a chance to retain power over the tax system thus can be bought by lobbyist.

Though the flat tax is more likely to pass this doesn't mean it is a better system. It will still punish productivity. Thus, only the ones that work legally pay.

True. But it's an improvement over what we have. And it is more likely to pass. And it has a proven history in other countries.

True. But it's an improvement over what we have. And it is more likely to pass. And it has a proven history in other countries.

This track record you talk about...when was it? The income tax was created in 1913 and it only applied to the top % income earners.

This track record you talk about...when was it? The income tax was created in 1913 and it only applied to the top % income earners.
Flat tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Certainly the tax code can be much simpler than it is now.

But when it is simplifed you KNOW whose going to complain the loudest and it will NOT be the poor.

The reason the tax code is so complex is because it is a litany of tax indulgences given to the WEALTHY.

Certainly the tax code can be much simpler than it is now.

But when it is simplifed you KNOW whose going to complain the loudest and it will NOT be the poor.

The reason the tax code is so complex is because it is a litany of tax indulgences given to the WEALTHY.

Wrong. It is the result of special interest groups pleading their cause needs favors. Simplify and lower tax rates across the board.

I believe your both right.

That is why I support the Fair Tax. It is much simpler and it doesn't tax income. The Flat tax ( though is better then our current system) still discourages productivity. Again, only the people that work legally will pay it.

It will still keep jobs overseas and prevent overseas corporate profit from coming back to the US.

Curious...what do you think the rate would be with a Flat Tax. I see it being 20% or more for everyone. So the bottom 20% that don't pay anything now will get hit hard and the top 20% that pay more now will get a break.

How will this go over in our current political environment?

I believe your both right.

That is why I support the Fair Tax. It is much simpler and it doesn't tax income. The Flat tax ( though is better then our current system) still discourages productivity. Again, only the people that work legally will pay it.

It will still keep jobs overseas and prevent overseas corporate profit from coming back to the US.

You've already made the first points.
As to the second, how will a flat tax keep jobs overseas? How will it keep corporate profits from returning? Those are nonsense objections.

Curious...what do you think the rate would be with a Flat Tax. I see it being 20% or more for everyone. So the bottom 20% that don't pay anything now will get hit hard and the top 20% that pay more now will get a break.

More nonsense.
It's the bottom 47% that don't pay any income tax.
There is a credit up to $30,000. So the bottom 20% wont be hit at all. After that it's every dollar. No loopholes, no deductions.
When you eliminate loopholes and lower the rate you get more revenue. This has been true every time it's been tried.

More nonsense.
There is a credit up to $30,000. So the bottom 20% wont be hit at all. After that it's every dollar. No loopholes, no deductions.
When you eliminate loopholes and lower the rate you get more revenue. This has been true every time it's been tried.

I appreciate the civil debate...and you are correct. It will create more revenue because of the simplification of the code. Again, it is better then what we have now.

As far as the "none sense" about bring jobs back to US....under the Fair Tax there will be NO taxes for doing business....only at the point of consumption. We would be the only Country in the world that will have no taxes (payroll, capital gains, etc) for doing business.

The Flat Tax would do very little to bring jobs back to the US. BTW, what will the rate be?

More nonsense.

I appreciate the civil debate...and you are correct. It will create more revenue because of the simplification of the code. Again, it is better then what we have now.

As far as the "none sense" about bring jobs back to US....under the Fair Tax there will be NO taxes for doing business....only at the point of consumption. We would be the only Country in the world that will have no taxes (payroll, capital gains, etc) for doing business.

The Flat Tax would do very little to bring jobs back to the US. BTW, what will the rate be?

Actually, businesses would pay taxes, but only on the materials that are purchased, same as everyone else. Exorbitant and punitive corporate taxation would be decreased under the Fair Tax. But taxes are only a part of the reason why businesses are moving overseas. We would also have to overhaul how manufacturing and other businesses are regulated in this country, as well.

Forum List

Back