Why not a federal sales tax?

tererun

Rookie
May 19, 2012
carolinas
I am not talking about a huge sales tax, just 1 or 2 percent.

I know, people hate taxes, but whether or not you want a well oiled war machine, or you want to make sure the poor are fed you have to make money to do so. Just the operations of our government has increased to such an extent that a sales or commerce tax would really help us pay the bills.

Good things:

This would be a fair tax. Everyone pays it. If you consume more, then you pay more. If you are frugal then you pay less. Wasteful people who purchase expensive name brands or purchase things like wasteful expensive vehicles would pay more into this tax to clean up their messes. those who are poor and cannot purchase as much would not be burdened with a huge tax, but their massive combined consumption would have them paying a big chunk.

This would also tax foreign goods sold in US markets. let us face it we are the market for many industries. There are many businesses that make a lot of money off of being able to sell in the US. There is also internet sales which are not being tapped yet. This sort of tax would see revenue from both of these groups who are not contributing to their fullest.

You can protect manufacturing and resellers the same way states do, and that is by tax exempt status on good that are to be resold or made into a final product. Or you could also allow them to see a discount on bulk purchases. In other words normal consumers would pay 2 percent for each of product X they purchase, but by bundling product X into a palate and selling the palate as a single unit at a discount your would lower the taxes paid by reseller businesses. There are a number of options you could use to offset the cost of doing business, while still seeing revenue from commerce.

The system is already in place as we already have methods for sales tax. This system is a lot easier than the present taxation system the federal government has and would not involve increasing the burden of paperwork on the populace as the tax is calculated per transaction, and is paid on the spot.

Collecting sales tax means a legitimate sales tax ID number, and that means filings with the government and accountability. You immediately have a new system of tracking for fraudulent sellers, and put another road block in the way of scammers because you need an entity legitimately responsible for paying the tax.

I know tax is a four letter word of evil, but in reality taxes are what allows our government to function and do the things we want it to do. yes, it also allows it to do some of the things we bitch about too. For every social welfare program there are corporate welfare programs and military programs. No matter what party you support they need taxes to function. The US is in financial trouble right now, and it is due to the fact we have our government doing a lot of things, yet we feel we should not pay for it. The reality is we need to pay for our social programs, the military, education, infrastructure, the legal system, jails, and a whole lot more. This tax would be huge, and it would come from all areas of the nation and abroad for the use of this nation.

I'd be for it if you eliminated the income tax, but as an addon no..because they start low and end up high. But it is the fairest tax and you cant pit groups against each other and you get income even from people that skirt the rules, like criminals and people getting paid under the table.

Why?

It would tax based on the amount you buy instead of having a tax system that taxes your profits. Sounds fairer as everyone GETS TO PAY! :eusa_boohoo:

Some child that buys a candy bar can pay .05c per each, but if a schools buys 500 they would be 500x.05c. So a poorer person that can buy less most likely will over all have to pay less than a rich person that "may" buy more. A business is most likely going to buy more.

Last edited:
Everyone gets to pay the same absolute amount, but not the same in proportion to their disposable income.
Regressive.
Not fair.
Serves the rich.
Will probably be implemented soon.

"Paying in proportion to one's consumption would be the measure of 'fair', Libtard."

Keep your mindless categorizations for yourself, troglodyte.

The rich should pay in proportion to their consumption.

"Paying in proportion to one's consumption would be the measure of 'fair', Libtard."

Keep your mindless categorizations for yourself, troglodyte.

The rich should pay in proportion to their consumption.

You heard it hear first, folks.

A huge Libtard calling for a huge tax cut on the rich.

Do the rich truly pay, in proportion to what they have, for all that America and the majority of Americans, have provided?
And stop with always accusing people of being any label you don't like simply because they don't agree with you, especially when you have no idea about reality and life.

May I point out that I believe in every state there is already a sales tax, so the rich in that regards already pay more in taxes. I might also point out that real estate is also appraised so logically the rich also pay much more in property taxes, in most states.

The only way I am for this is if it eliminates the IRS but that ain't gonna happen. Too much control, too ingrained into the American way. Besides how do you give a person earned income tax credits, someone else's money, if there isn't an IRS?

Do the rich truly pay, in proportion to what they have, for all that America and the majority of Americans, have provided?
And stop with always accusing people of being any label you don't like simply because they don't agree with you, especially when you have no idea about reality and life.

Who told you wealth in America is supposed to be transferred, commie?

Get a fucking job.

Last edited:
I am not talking about a huge sales tax, just 1 or 2 percent.

I know, people hate taxes, but whether or not you want a well oiled war machine, or you want to make sure the poor are fed you have to make money to do so. Just the operations of our government has increased to such an extent that a sales or commerce tax would really help us pay the bills.

Good things:

This would be a fair tax. Everyone pays it. If you consume more, then you pay more. If you are frugal then you pay less. Wasteful people who purchase expensive name brands or purchase things like wasteful expensive vehicles would pay more into this tax to clean up their messes. those who are poor and cannot purchase as much would not be burdened with a huge tax, but their massive combined consumption would have them paying a big chunk.

This would also tax foreign goods sold in US markets. let us face it we are the market for many industries. There are many businesses that make a lot of money off of being able to sell in the US. There is also internet sales which are not being tapped yet. This sort of tax would see revenue from both of these groups who are not contributing to their fullest.

You can protect manufacturing and resellers the same way states do, and that is by tax exempt status on good that are to be resold or made into a final product. Or you could also allow them to see a discount on bulk purchases. In other words normal consumers would pay 2 percent for each of product X they purchase, but by bundling product X into a palate and selling the palate as a single unit at a discount your would lower the taxes paid by reseller businesses. There are a number of options you could use to offset the cost of doing business, while still seeing revenue from commerce.

The system is already in place as we already have methods for sales tax. This system is a lot easier than the present taxation system the federal government has and would not involve increasing the burden of paperwork on the populace as the tax is calculated per transaction, and is paid on the spot.

Collecting sales tax means a legitimate sales tax ID number, and that means filings with the government and accountability. You immediately have a new system of tracking for fraudulent sellers, and put another road block in the way of scammers because you need an entity legitimately responsible for paying the tax.

I know tax is a four letter word of evil, but in reality taxes are what allows our government to function and do the things we want it to do. yes, it also allows it to do some of the things we bitch about too. For every social welfare program there are corporate welfare programs and military programs. No matter what party you support they need taxes to function. The US is in financial trouble right now, and it is due to the fact we have our government doing a lot of things, yet we feel we should not pay for it. The reality is we need to pay for our social programs, the military, education, infrastructure, the legal system, jails, and a whole lot more. This tax would be huge, and it would come from all areas of the nation and abroad for the use of this nation.

If it replaces all other taxes, count me in. but no if it's an additional tax to those I already pay.

Forum List

Back