Why is it always blamed on "PTSD"?

The issue is, what level of mental illness or possible illness should require legal intervention in regard to gun possession or ownership. What laws are in place to allow the temporary suspension of gun possession or ownership.
We have seen a pattern of mass shootings where law enforcement was notified of possible mental illness situations but law enforcement lacked any options to intervene and suspend gun possession and ownership for a period of investigation and determination.

That would be impossible to determine, as even the most thorough psychological examinations don't always give conclusive results. There are signs though. I believe the California nightclub shooter had exhibited erratic or violent behavior in the past. But many times, someone with no history of mental illness commits such shootings, just out of the blue.
Agree, but if we catch an occasional mass shooter now and then it would be worth it.

The issue is, what level of mental illness or possible illness should require legal intervention in regard to gun possession or ownership. What laws are in place to allow the temporary suspension of gun possession or ownership.
We have seen a pattern of mass shootings where law enforcement was notified of possible mental illness situations but law enforcement lacked any options to intervene and suspend gun possession and ownership for a period of investigation and determination.

When you don't go to church for the sermon or to pray....

When you don't go to the bar for a drink or to dance....

When you go to a school, but aren't there to learn or watch a sporting event...

...you might be a nut.
PTSD was once reserved for military but over the years it's become a catchall diagnosis for 'victims' usually. Victims of child abuse or domestic violence, or just the inability to cope with overwhelming stress, etc.

It's that inability to cope that can drive people over the edge

I see people who insist on carrying their little puppy with them in a shopping cart when they go to the Goodwill store or Walmart. They get away with it by calling them "therapy dogs."

I could understand that if they had served in combat, but most of the people I see have never even served in the military.

Once that made up bullshit about therapy dogs started it is hard to undo. A certified victim has a lot of power in this society.

That would be impossible to determine, as even the most thorough psychological examinations don't always give conclusive results. There are signs though. I believe the California nightclub shooter had exhibited erratic or violent behavior in the past. But many times, someone with no history of mental illness commits such shootings, just out of the blue.
Agree, but if we catch an occasional mass shooter now and then it would be worth it.

It could very well be mass shooters were stopped by current guns laws, before a shooting occurred, kind of a hard thing to get numbers on.

It could very well be mass shooters were stopped by current guns laws, before a shooting occurred, kind of a hard thing to get numbers on.
I guess I am proposing giving law enforcement and the legal system an option when they run into a questionable case of mental illness with a person who may have firearms. My thought is that the person's ability to have weapons be suspended while an investigation is conducted after a triggering event occurs.

I guess I am proposing giving law enforcement and the legal system an option when they run into a questionable case of mental illness with a person who may have firearms. My thought is that the person's ability to have weapons be suspended while an investigation is conducted after a triggering event occurs.

Suspended is a fancy way of saying you have no problem with removing someone's rights without proof. That is a fail.

Mass shooters always choose a place where they know everyone is unarmed.

According to what I could find, the Sheriff of that location approves concealed carry permits on a shall-issue basis. However, as per his policy, you may not carry in a bar even if you are not drinking.

Last edited:

Mass shooters always choose a place where they know everyone is unarmed. What were their weapons policy at the Borderline Bar and Grill?
Sounds like they had some protective policies, including an armed guard. In this case, it appears some intervention was needed and some evidence of intervention was ignored or intervention was not legally available.

Because there are a huge number diagnosed with PTSD. Anything that happens the media can just pull that diagnosis out. And they do to avoid their own culpability.
The real problem is nihilism and liberalism. Not PTSD.
Kind of like when a certain former governor of Alaska blamed her son's abusive behavior towards women on PTSD.

When some veteran goes off the rails and does something like committing a mass shooting, the media invariably blames it on "PTSD". Post-traumatic stress disorder used to be called "shell shock" or "battle fatigue" in the old days. I had two uncles who served in the Pacific during WW2, and have known more than several Vietnam and Korean War veterans who had that. In every case, the sound of gunshots or fireworks would cause them extreme uneasiness.

So why is it that when a combat veteran goes on a shooting rampage, it's blamed on PTSD? Wouldn't the sound of his own gunfire cause him severe psychological trauma?

maybe because some of the drugs they are given now to treat their PTSD is mind altering. I was listening to a talk show this morning where a caller talked about his son who was a returning Afghanistan war vet 10 years ago and he was saying that his son was treated for ptsd and given psychotropic drugs. Immediately after taking them he began having psychotic episodes for a couple months until he went back and was re-diagnosed with actual brain damage from concussion. He was then taken off these drugs , and the father claimed his son never had a psychotic episode again.

Because there are a huge number diagnosed with PTSD. Anything that happens the media can just pull that diagnosis out. And they do to avoid their own culpability.
Kind of like when a certain former governor of Alaska blamed her son's abusive behavior towards women on PTSD.

Soviet technique known as Whataboutism - Wikipedia

PTSD can take many forms.

Sane people do not become mass murderers.

That's what I'm saying. I've never known anyone with PTSD to go on a murderous rampage when triggered. They're usually afraid of the sound of gunfire.
How many mass murderers have you known?

I've known numerous vets who had shell-shock, battle fatigue, or PTSD. None of them were mass murderers. I just think the media's rush to blame it on Post-traumatic stress disorder is because of their inherent hatred for all things military. In other words, the shooter becomes victimized, instead of being blamed for his own actions.
You're right. He was probably just another murderous tRumpkin.

Politics had nothing to do with the shooting, unless he was a deranged Democrat. The majority of people at that club were conservatives.

3Vv2G6v.png

Holy shit search Bodeccea and the words "kind of like" in quotes. Almost 200 posts.

Search Results for Query: "kind of like" | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Thousand Oaks was considered a safe place...full of wealthy Democrats and onerous gun laws.

When some veteran goes off the rails and does something like committing a mass shooting, the media invariably blames it on "PTSD". Post-traumatic stress disorder used to be called "shell shock" or "battle fatigue" in the old days. I had two uncles who served in the Pacific during WW2, and have known more than several Vietnam and Korean War veterans who had that. In every case, the sound of gunshots or fireworks would cause them extreme uneasiness.

So why is it that when a combat veteran goes on a shooting rampage, it's blamed on PTSD? Wouldn't the sound of his own gunfire cause him severe psychological trauma?
Fireworks or gunfire are only two triggers. For some, they have little or no effect. For others, they are major problems.

Personal story.
I was not in a combat assignment but did enter some combat zones in my job as personnel sergeant of the battalion. I had my share of bullets and artillery rounds come my way.
When I returned stateside, I was assigned to the Presidio of San Francisco. Pending arrival of my family, I was housed in the bachelor quarters right next to the parade ground and the flag pole.
I was sitting in my room on the bunk when recall sounded. Without warning, the cannon went off and, without thinking, I found myself under the bunk.
Many decades later, I still react to car backfires, fireworks, and yes, gunshots.
PTSD? A very mild form.
It's not easy to determine just what the triggering things are.

Ian David Long was a regular at the bar, often going there with different girlfriends. There was never a sign that he might do such a thing.

There is a lengthy story about him @ Ian David Long: What we know about the gunman in the Thousand Oaks bar shooting - CNN

Sometimes, it's simply impossible to identify people like this ahead of time.

Sadly, I think we've reached a time in our society when larger gatherings of people need armed and trained security.

Forum List

Back