Why is it always blamed on "PTSD"?

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
When some veteran goes off the rails and does something like committing a mass shooting, the media invariably blames it on "PTSD". Post-traumatic stress disorder used to be called "shell shock" or "battle fatigue" in the old days. I had two uncles who served in the Pacific during WW2, and have known more than several Vietnam and Korean War veterans who had that. In every case, the sound of gunshots or fireworks would cause them extreme uneasiness.

So why is it that when a combat veteran goes on a shooting rampage, it's blamed on PTSD? Wouldn't the sound of his own gunfire cause him severe psychological trauma?

So why is it that when a combat veteran goes on a shooting rampage, it's blamed on PTSD? Wouldn't the sound of his own gunfire cause him severe psychological trauma?

Back in the 80's and 90's...it was solely blamed on Schizophrenia. Now, it's PSTD?

PTSD can take many forms.

Sane people do not become mass murderers.

That's what I'm saying. I've never known anyone with PTSD to go on a murderous rampage when triggered. They're usually afraid of the sound of gunfire.

When some veteran goes off the rails and does something like committing a mass shooting, the media invariably blames it on "PTSD". Post-traumatic stress disorder used to be called "shell shock" or "battle fatigue" in the old days. I had two uncles who served in the Pacific during WW2, and have known more than several Vietnam and Korean War veterans who had that. In every case, the sound of gunshots or fireworks would cause them extreme uneasiness.

Fireworks or gunfire are only two triggers. For some, they have little or no effect. For others, they are major problems.

That's what I'm saying. I've never known anyone with PTSD to go on a murderous rampage when triggered. They're usually afraid of the sound of gunfire.
How many mass murderers have you known?

I've known numerous vets who had shell-shock, battle fatigue, or PTSD. None of them were mass murderers. I just think the media's rush to blame it on Post-traumatic stress disorder is because of their inherent hatred for all things military. In other words, the shooter becomes victimized, instead of being blamed for his own actions.

It's more than just that. Some people with PTSD are affected badly enough that they are no longer sane or rational.

I've known numerous vets who had shell-shock, battle fatigue, or PTSD. None of them were mass murderers. I just think the media's rush to blame it on Post-traumatic stress disorder is because of their inherent hatred for all things military. In other words, the shooter becomes victimized, instead of being blamed for his own actions.
You're right. He was probably just another murderous tRumpkin.

You're right. He was probably just another murderous tRumpkin.

Politics had nothing to do with the shooting, unless he was a deranged Democrat. The majority of people at that club were conservatives.

More to the point, Liberals have given excuses for poor behavior for decades now. If you can find a way to avoid responsibility with something beyond your control, it is allowable or some such jibberish.

Think about this . . .

One day this guy was sitting beside a buddy who was cleaning weapons the buddy alone had just put a few hundred rounds down range through, follow? So this other guy, right? Not the shooter, got it? He smells cordite, a smell that takes him back to watching a sniper blow this other guys lung out his back, see? So the guy with the flashback, he says to himself, admits to himself—that while the smell of the freshly fired rifles scares the shit out of him, ok? But that smell? That smell also thrills the hell out of him too. Go figure.

The issue is, what level of mental illness or possible illness should require legal intervention in regard to gun possession or ownership?. What laws are in place to allow the temporary suspension of gun possession or ownership?
We have seen a pattern of mass shootings where law enforcement was notified of possible mental illness situations but law enforcement lacked any options to intervene and suspend gun possession and ownership for a period of investigation and determination.

Because there are a huge number diagnosed with PTSD. Anything that happens the media can just pull that diagnosis out. And they do to avoid their own culpability.
The real problem is nihilism and liberalism. Not PTSD.

The issue is, what level of mental illness or possible illness should require legal intervention in regard to gun possession or ownership. What laws are in place to allow the temporary suspension of gun possession or ownership.
We have seen a pattern of mass shootings where law enforcement was notified of possible mental illness situations but law enforcement lacked any options to intervene and suspend gun possession and ownership for a period of investigation and determination.

When you don't go to church for the sermon or to pray....

When you don't go to the bar for a drink or to dance....

When you go to a school, but aren't there to learn or watch a sporting event...

...you might be a nut.

The issue is, what level of mental illness or possible illness should require legal intervention in regard to gun possession or ownership. What laws are in place to allow the temporary suspension of gun possession or ownership.

That would be impossible to determine, as even the most thorough psychological examinations don't always give conclusive results. There are signs though. I believe the California nightclub shooter had exhibited erratic or violent behavior in the past. But many times, someone with no history of mental illness commits such shootings, just out of the blue.

PTSD was once reserved for military but over the years it's become a catchall diagnosis for 'victims' usually. Victims of child abuse or domestic violence, or just the inability to cope with overwhelming stress, etc.

It's that inability to cope that can drive people over the edge

When you don't go to church for the sermon or to pray....

When you don't go to the bar for a drink or to dance....

When you go to a school, but aren't there to learn or watch a sporting event...

...you might be a nut.
PTSD was once reserved for military but over the years it's become a catchall diagnosis for 'victims' usually. Victims of child abuse or domestic violence, or just the inability to cope with overwhelming stress, etc.

It's that inability to cope that can drive people over the edge

I see people who insist on carrying their little puppy with them in a shopping cart when they go to the Goodwill store or Walmart. They get away with it by calling them "therapy dogs."

I could understand that if they had served in combat, but most of the people I see have never even served in the military.

Forum List

Back