Why is Della crying?

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
I have a student who has me flummoxed. We are working on making inferences, reading between the lines, and he really comes up with some off the wall shit. I gave him the opening of "Gift of the Magi" by O'Henry. The first question was, Why is Della crying?

One dollar and eighty-seven cents. That was all. And sixty cents of it was in pennies. Pennies saved one and two at a time by bulldozing the grocer and the vegetable man and the butcher until one's cheeks burned with the silent imputation of parsimony that such close dealing implied. Three times Della counted it. One dollar and eighty-seven cents. And the next day would be Christmas.

There was clearly nothing to do but flop down on the shabby little couch and howl. So Della did it. Which instigates the moral reflection that life is made up of sobs, sniffles, and smiles, with sniffles predominating.

My student's answer: Boredom. Based on the words, "There was clearly nothing to do"
I asked if he usually throws himself down and howls when he is bored. Ummmm.....errr..... I said we'd get back to that question and we worked through others, like is she rich, how did she get the $1.87, etc. We talked and talked. We read the rest of the story (he loved the irony--is going to read more O'Henry). THEN he knew why Della was crying. He has to take his Hi-SET (GED) and it's full of inference and main idea questions. He's got to do better than "boredom" but I am just not getting him there.

What can I do?

Show him his life without a GED or an education.

Indignation is why Della is sobbing because life is so difficult.
The last thirty five years I have been training men to become trained adults I use a little something called" making you think without thinking you are thinking.." or the gods approach to insight...

The last thirty five years I have been training men to become trained adults I use a little something called" making you think without thinking you are thinking.." or the gods approach to insight...
I'm not sure you understood my question. It isn't that this student doesn't care, and it's not that he's stupid either. He inferred that there was a significant other in there somewhere that she really wanted to buy a present for. Yet he still couldn't figure out why she was crying.
Maybe he's emotionally retarded. Is that a guy thing?

I'm not sure you understood my question. It isn't that this student doesn't care, and it's not that he's stupid either. He inferred that there was a significant other in there somewhere that she really wanted to buy a present for. Yet he still couldn't figure out why she was crying.

No, you'll have Moonie crying any minute now.

Did you cover what parsimony, instigates and imputation mean?
I think you might have something there. (Yes, we went over it, but AFTER asking why Della was crying.) Would you have not been able to answer without knowing the details of how she had struggled to save her $1.87?

I think you might have something there. (Yes, we went over it, but AFTER asking why Della was crying.) Would you have not been able to answer without knowing the details of how she had struggled to save her $1.87?

I was scored in the 98th percentile of reading comprehension, probably not the right person to ask. Thing is, if he was distracted by words we didn't know, boredom is a possibility.

Not a guy thing, a sociopath thing. The inability to make that connection without explanation is a classic indication.

I have a student who has me flummoxed. We are working on making inferences, reading between the lines, and he really comes up with some off the wall shit. I gave him the opening of "Gift of the Magi" by O'Henry. The first question was, Why is Della crying?

One dollar and eighty-seven cents. That was all. And sixty cents of it was in pennies. Pennies saved one and two at a time by bulldozing the grocer and the vegetable man and the butcher until one's cheeks burned with the silent imputation of parsimony that such close dealing implied. Three times Della counted it. One dollar and eighty-seven cents. And the next day would be Christmas.

There was clearly nothing to do but flop down on the shabby little couch and howl. So Della did it. Which instigates the moral reflection that life is made up of sobs, sniffles, and smiles, with sniffles predominating.

My student's answer: Boredom. Based on the words, "There was clearly nothing to do"
I asked if he usually throws himself down and howls when he is bored. Ummmm.....errr..... I said we'd get back to that question and we worked through others, like is she rich, how did she get the $1.87, etc. We talked and talked. We read the rest of the story (he loved the irony--is going to read more O'Henry). THEN he knew why Della was crying. He has to take his Hi-SET (GED) and it's full of inference and main idea questions. He's got to do better than "boredom" but I am just not getting him there.

What can I do?
It's amazing the disconnect. I have teacher friends who are so frustrated over today's students having no common sense or problem-solving skills.

It's amazing the disconnect. I have teacher friends who are so frustrated over today's students having no common sense or problem-solving skills.

Helicopter parents
family breakdowns
drugs
technology induced short attention spans

lots of possible reasons why today's youth have problems

I was scored in the 98th percentile of reading comprehension, probably not the right person to ask. Thing is, if he was distracted by words we didn't know, boredom is a possibility.
Me, too. I probably shouldn't have gone into English because it comes too easily to me--so how do I teach someone who doesn't get it right away.
But here we are and I'm stuck with it.
This a.m. I INSISTED that as he reads Ransom of Red Chief (which was written for kids, so the prose is somewhat easier going) that he write down the words he can't figure out from context. I reminded him I am the BOSS and he MUST do this.
Did he? No.
I really like this kid and he likes reading stuff with me, but I'm gonna hit him over the head with the Oxford Dictionary if he's not more trainable than this.

Helicopter parents
family breakdowns
drugs

I think the last one is the most apt. Blaming the parents and society won't get us anywhere, but attention span can be stretched. As long as they're not on drugs.

Me, too. I probably shouldn't have gone into English because it comes too easily to me--so how do I teach someone who doesn't get it right away.
This a.m. I INSISTED that as he reads Ransom of Red Chief (which was written for kids, so the prose is somewhat easier going) that he write down the words he can't figure out from context. I reminded him I am the BOSS and he MUST do this.
Did he? No.
I really like this kid and he likes reading stuff with me, but I'm gonna hit him over the head with the Oxford Dictionary if he's not more trainable than this.

So he's smart enough to avoid looking like his vocabulary is weak. Approach more like this. Parsimony was a tough word for me when I first saw it. What did you think it meant when you saw it?

Many times vocabulary words are selected from the week's future reading assignments. Setting kids up for success, if they do their work.

Helicopter parents
family breakdowns
drugs

I think the last one is the most apt. Blaming the parents and society won't get us anywhere, but attention span can be stretched. As long as they're not on drugs.

I agree that parents need to be teachers too. It is not up to just teachers to educate and mold our kids.

Did he? No.

So he's smart enough to avoid looking like his vocabulary is weak. Approach more like this. Parsimony was a tough word for me when I first saw it. What did you think it meant when you saw it?
You're good--he does like to "show off" some. As if he knows more than he does, kinda macho

Forum List

Back