Why I"m an atheist. Part 1

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by onecut39, Aug 27, 2010.

1. onecut39

onecut39 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Why I am an atheist

We could go all through the drill and we could fight about every little thing but here I will pursue just a couple of reasons why the faith, to me, seems a bit far fetched. Of course there are many more.

For starters it is said that man was created in God’s image, if we do indeed look like god I wonder why god has legs when, for a very long while, before the creation of anything, there was no place to stand.

Now that that is out of the way we will continue with the construction of man. I will simply disregard all the evidence of evolution while simply stating that many, if not most, mainstream religions have no problem with that. I am simply concerned with God as a craftsman.

Remember at the root of all this is the notion that God is all knowing, all powerful and omniscient. A know everything, do anything kind of guy.

Wouldn’t you think that such a supreme craftsman would at least insure that his creation could stand the test of time, that it would retain all that made it such wonderful thing in the first place?

We don’t. Neither man nor any other creature, large or small, breeds 100% true. There are all kinds of abnormalities and mutations, both good and bad but the overwhelming majority are bad. At least from our viewpoint. This, to me, seems a terrible design flaw.

Two more small things from the construction viewpoint. Why would anyone, purposely, create a being that had to be inoperative for a third of its existence? Yet here we are, comatose eight hours a day and loving it all. Second, why would anyone, God or not, create man with with four appendages and two have two of them of them inferior in function? The whole idea of “handedness” makes no sense if one is searching for good design and efficiency.

Can anyone help me out? Remember I have no quarrel with non radical religions. Anyone can believe what they want so long as it does not hurt anyone else. I just wonder how these few small questions can be addressed within the religious dogma.

I would prefer we stay on point but if you must hurl invectives and insults with your explanation I understand

2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Call someone who gives a shit.

And what is it with assholes who think they need to post in bold. Your thoughts aren't that important that you need to highlight them.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. onecut39

onecut39 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Thank you for that, it is in bold simply to make it easier for semi illiterates, like you, to read.

4. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,101
    My complete dissertation on how much I care you are an atheist.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

get it?

5. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I don't read drivel so there is no need.

6. american chaos

american chaos Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello fellow non-believer!

Do you know how often the title of your post has shown up as a topic? Well I know I've written one and dozens of others have too.

All I can say is: oh well. There is no going back now. You are not trying to score with any christian hotties on this board, are you??

7. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,920
    Wow! How brave to announce that one is an atheist!

It's an act of bravery on the order of the keynote speaker at a PLO awards dinner making jokes about Ariel Sharon.

8. Pappadave

Pappadave Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Your reasons are your own, as are my contrary reasons mine. Your choices are your own, ditto mine. The only justification necessary must satisfy ourselves. I am not really satisfied with mine and will keep searching all things, you may do the same or stop anywhere you choose. I wish you success. Peace, Love, and Faith. Pappadave.

9. Kalam

Kalam Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +773
    [​IMG]

10. Hister

Hister BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Atheists are just as deluded as theists. You all believe in something that you have no hope of proving.