Why I Can No Longer Teach in Public Education

Since I am married to a middle school math teacher since the beginning of time, I mostly agree with this piece but a few observations. If we had to live only on my wife's salary we would not have the life we've had.

Teachers teach the test and then teach the children, hard to do but some do it. They prepare them for the test without going bonkers. Balancing act I guess.

And republican governors are cutting back because education does not fit their ideological framework. The elite can pay for the best education and republicans are about the elite. Also republicans are slaves to tax ideology and thus cannot step outside the box they put themselves into.

This isn't Finland folks.

America The Stupid US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
America The Stupid US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
Measuring America s Decline US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

So, we can't discuss education without immediately falling back into the same old hyper-partisan nonsense that dooms so many threads on this site?

teachers oughta check out salaries benefits , pensions and everything else before they commit to the job of teaching . Same advice to 'police' , firemen and all other public servants . I grew up at a time when all the jobs I mention were well respected which doesn't seem to be the case anymore . --------- just a comment !!

On rare occasions, the HuffPost has some interesting items. This is one of those pieces that contains some information about one individual's experience in the modern classroom.

Read more @ Why I Can No Longer Teach in Public Education Stephanie Keiles
Don't blame her. What I hear about all the mandates from my public school teacher friends is that they are all designed to make administration jobs easier and CYA for the Districts/states. They do nothing to improve education. And one more thing I keep hearing...these states/administrations change things every year...curriculum, reporting requirements, testing prep, etc.....not only are the students not allowed to become proficient, but neither are the teachers. Teacher friends, in the last 5 years have had 5 different assignments...one who taught 7th grade for years was suddenly made to move classrooms and become a 6th grade teacher....then the next year right back to 7th grade, but in a 6th grade "pod". Why? No reason except to "shake things up". Really good for the students?

Starting salary for teachers in my area is $38K a year. I was at a bar a few weeks ago and these two people were talking about how much teachers make in our district. I informed them what the starting salary was. They both called me a liar, so I told them to look it up on their smart phones...they did and had nothing to say.

Now I don't complain about my salary, I knew what I signed up for-BUT I do see a lot of people complaining that I make too much money...which is comical because most of the people who do so have no idea how much teachers make--when it's public record.

Don't listen to what politicians say, your friends/neighbors say, or even what I say. If you really want to know...try something called "Google". You'll find your answer in about 2 minutes.

teachers oughta check out salaries benefits , pensions and everything else before they commit to the job of teaching .

She said it had gone down by 16% in the 10 years since she started. How is anybody supposed to check that out?

psik

well , maybe she oughta find a different job like plumbing . What , she expects a guarantee that she'll always make big money ?? Let her do what everyone else does , maybe work 2 jobs . The good old days of the 60s through the 90s are probably gone [forever] Psik .

well , maybe she oughta find a different job like plumbing . What , she expects a guarantee that she'll always make big money ?? Let her do what everyone else does , maybe work 2 jobs . The good old days of the 60s through the 90s are probably gone [forever] Psik .

That is one of my issues with education. What would these days be like if accounting had been mandatory in our schools since 1960? Is that too difficult a concept for educators?

psik

38k a year for 10 months work is pitiful pay? where do I sign up?

I didn't say it was terrible, but it's far from the $50-60K many uninformed people think.

You missed the point of my post...I wish I could say that I'm surprised.

Some observations:

Not enough specific information about compensation to evaluate. Making 16% less than she was ten years ago? My "bullshit meter" is off the chart. I do not believe it.

Teachers seem unable to compare their compensation with that in the Real World. While payscales are all over the lot around the country (40% of my local public school teachers make over $100k), they seem incapable of recognizing the value of (a) minimal contribution to healthcare and other benefits, and (b) ability to retire in their mid-50's, which NOBODY IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR CAN DO! Not to mention the three greatest benefits: June, July, and August. $50k as a teacher is equivalent to $75k, at least, in the real world.

The point of teachers requiring a "masters degree" is, for the most part, baloney. "Education" as an undergraduate major is one of the least rigorous disciplines in the catalogue. Most states require a certain number of "graduate" credits for permanent certification, and many universities offer a "Masters Degree" for just a few more credits, trying to get this additional business. But those masters degrees are also of marginal academic rigor. No thesis, no comprehensive exam, and many survey courses. Comparing that degree to even a Masters in Poli-Sci is ludicrous.

With the ubiquitous teacher complaints about having to "teach to the test," where [the fuck] are the teachers' unions? If they don't like the tests, then THE UNIONS SHOULD OFFER TO DEVELOP THE TESTS! No rational person can propose that it is not necessary to test students' mastery of the subject material in some manner. If they don't like the current tests, then they should propose their own. The failure of the unions to do this, and to publicize that they are doing this, is proof that it is all bullshit, and they are not serious about the issue.

The point of teachers requiring a "masters degree" is, for the most part, baloney. "Education" as an undergraduate major is one of the least rigorous disciplines in the catalogue. Most states require a certain number of "graduate" credits for permanent certification, and many universities offer a "Masters Degree" for just a few more credits, trying to get this additional business. But those masters degrees are also of marginal academic rigor. ....

And you are so personally familiar with this because you went through just such a program of study yourself?

The point of teachers requiring a "masters degree" is, for the most part, baloney. "Education" as an undergraduate major is one of the least rigorous disciplines in the catalogue. Most states require a certain number of "graduate" credits for permanent certification, and many universities offer a "Masters Degree" for just a few more credits, trying to get this additional business. But those masters degrees are also of marginal academic rigor. ....

And you are so personally familiar with this because you went through just such a program of study yourself?

teachers oughta check out salaries benefits , pensions and everything else before they commit to the job of teaching .

She said it had gone down by 16% in the 10 years since she started. How is anybody supposed to check that out?

psik
Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of it is the employee's now picking up health care costs and it being taken out of their pay checks....that would definitely see a large decline in take home pay.

On rare occasions, the HuffPost has some interesting items. This is one of those pieces that contains some information about one individual's experience in the modern classroom.

Read more @ Why I Can No Longer Teach in Public Education Stephanie Keiles
I taught for 3 years and gave it up. It was essential a dead end job as far as pay and advancement. I suppose it's different if you truly love the work.

The author's comments about standardize test and accountability are right on. The amount of testing, teaching to the test, and endless amounts of paperwork which nothing to do with teaching kids keeps increasing.

The problem in public education is not in the classroom. It's school, district, state, and federal management of the classroom.

Last edited:
I worked with several former teachers in my day. Each one of them had the same complaint as to why they left the profession: The Parents and their belief that their kids could do no wrong.

Forum List

Back