Why I Can No Longer Teach in Public Education

I worked with several former teachers in my day. Each one of them had the same complaint as to why they left the profession: The Parents and their belief that their kids could do no wrong.
I think it's always been that way. If the kids aren't doing well in school, it's the schools fault, not the parents or the kids.

What has changed is the family structure. Over a third of the kids live in single parent homes or with a brother, sister, or neighbor. Much of the education, supervision, and guidance is left to the schools who are ill equipment to fulfill the role of the parent. From the time these kids can walk they are in some type of institution, child care, head start, kindergarten, then school. The role of the parent is often just providing food and shelter and very limited supervision. Without the active parental involvement in a child's education, their chances of success is greatly reduced.

Some observations:

Not enough specific information about compensation to evaluate. Making 16% less than she was ten years ago? My "bullshit meter" is off the chart. I do not believe it.

That is not what she said. She said that she was getting 16% less than people with 10 years of experience had gotten 10 years earlier. She was just starting 10 years earlier.

psik

I am a spec ed teacher in a public school

the lack of respect from students and parents and unrealistic expectations when it comes to student progress is what I will not miss when I retire from teaching in a few years

let's get this out of the way
most parents and kids are OK, it's that selfish few that make things difficult for everyone else

Some observations:

Not enough specific information about compensation to evaluate. Making 16% less than she was ten years ago? My "bullshit meter" is off the chart. I do not believe it.

That is not what she said. She said that she was getting 16% less than people with 10 years of experience had gotten 10 years earlier. She was just starting 10 years earlier.

psik
Ms whateverhernameis believes she is entitled. It's a Democrat thing. Look at Hillary who seems to believe she is entitled for the Democratic nomination in 2016. She is obviously seething at the perceived injustice of having to fight for what she believes is rightfully hers. Ms whateverhernameis is doing exactly the same.

Some observations:

psik
Ms whateverhernameis believes she is entitled. It's a Democrat thing. Look at Hillary who seems to believe she is entitled for the Democratic nomination in 2016. She is obviously seething at the perceived injustice of having to fight for what she believes is rightfully hers. Ms whateverhernameis is doing exactly the same.

Unlike Trump, of course, who is the very model of humility.....

Forum List

Back