Why Evolution?

As a Catholic, I was taught that Creationism and Evolution co exist. Since there are no written records of the beginning of time who is to say God didn't create a path for us to evolve? Fundamental Christians take the Bible literally. Other Christians like me recognize the Bible was written for people who were illiterate and need parables to understand things.
Me too ... that's also what I was taught by the Catholic nuns.

I lump all Protestants together as Protestants and just call them Protestants.

It's like calling a spade a spade.
No doubt you lump a lot of groups together because, in your eyes, they all look alike. ;)

Fast Facts about American Religion
There were 217 denominations listed in the 2006 Yearbook of American and Canadian Churches. But there may well be other groups that function as a denomination but do not regard themselves as such. The single largest religious group in the United States is the Roman Catholic Church, which had 67 million members in 2005

Christian Movements and Denominations
webready-graphic-43.png

Agreed. As previously shown, many Christians don't take the Bible literally, yet there are "fundamentalist" Atheists who want to say all Christians do take it literally or they are not Christians. This is just their way of demeaning those with faith.
Frontline's "From Jesus To Christ" explained that the Bible cannot be taken literally because there are so many inconsistencies in it.
Agreed, yet some people try to do it anyway.

Agreed. As previously shown, many Christians don't take the Bible literally, yet there are "fundamentalist" Atheists who want to say all Christians do take it literally or they are not Christians. This is just their way of demeaning those with faith.
Frontline's "From Jesus To Christ" explained that the Bible cannot be taken literally because there are so many inconsistencies in it.
Agreed, yet some people try to do it anyway.
I remember a Protestant ("Church Of Christ") kid in high school who used to come to all our Bible study luncheons and he believed that the Hand of God reached down from Heaven and wrote the Bible word for word with quill and ink in English.

I tried to explain to him that English was not yet invented until 1066 A.D. but that did not faze him at all.

No doubt you lump a lot of groups together because, in your eyes, they all look alike. ;)

Fast Facts about American Religion
There were 217 denominations listed in the 2006 Yearbook of American and Canadian Churches. But there may well be other groups that function as a denomination but do not regard themselves as such. The single largest religious group in the United States is the Roman Catholic Church, which had 67 million members in 2005

Christian Movements and Denominations
webready-graphic-43.png
I knew the Lutherans (of N.Germany and the US Midwest), Anglicans (of England), and Baptists (of the US South) were the biggest groups of Protestants. In the USA alone the Baptists are the biggest, with the Lutherans in 2nd.

I've seen Christians claim that other Christians are not "real" Christians many times. Are they also demeaning those with faith?
IMO they are. How many "real" Christians claimed Catholics or Mormons aren't really Christian? Usually it's the "fundamentalists" such as Evangelicals or Southern Baptists who take this stance. Most Christians I've known believe it's between a person and God and no one else.

The difference between a southern Baptist and a regular one is the southern Baptist thought it was OK to own slaves and today the KKK are southern Baptists.

I think the most real "Christians" are the Eastern Orthodox. They are descendant from the congregations of St. Paul.

Of course the Roman Catholic Church is the most powerful today.

There are more Catholics than any other "Christian" group.
St. Paul wasn't an original Apostle. He came after the Crucifixion. There were several versions of Christianity arising during those times. Just because one has the most successful version of something doesn't mean it is the truest version. As certain Christian versions became dominant, they eliminated all the others by declaring them heretical.

One way to view this is that the most common surviving forms of Christianity were, at least at one time, the most fundamentalist and brutal. If Sunni Muslims succeed in wiping out all Shi'a Muslims, does that make them the most "real" Muslims or simply the biggest assholes?

Forum List

Back