Why don't "libertarians" support the libertarian candidate?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Luddly Neddite, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,829
    I've noticed that on this board that those who say they are Libertarian don't seem to support the Libertarian candidate, Gary Johnson. Watching him on Jon Stewart reminded me to ask why. It also reminded me that would make a much better candidate than the Crazy Uncle of the Republican Party.

It should be obvious but if you don't support him, there's not much chance he'll get anywhere close to winning. Of course, there's no chance he'll win if you do support him but why whine that you want a third party and then not actually support the candidate?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,829
    Just as I thought, looks like there aren't any real Libertarians on this board.

3. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    Oh, but in our hearts, we are. But people like myself had to vote for the most conservative candidate we feel can beat Obama. That's it. The country is not ready for radical change, such as with a true Libertarian....Maybe in a few years, depending upon how well "hopeful" president-elect Mitt Romney does, with his cost cutting and job creating policies.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. JamesInFlorida

JamesInFlorida Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Excuses. I'll be voting Johnson, and I really don't care that he has no chance the win. I think if you don't vote for who you think is the best person to be president-that that's the real way to waste your vote. If anybody's a "real" Libertarian-they'd vote for somebody who has Libertarian beliefs-and not Romney.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,782
    Many of us do vote Libertarian. I haven't voted Democrat or Republican since 1980 (I fell for Reagan's bullshit the first time).

I suspect the reason why so many libertarian leaning voters vote Republican or Democrat instead is the same reason so many progressives do likewise. They fall for the 'lesser-of-two-evils' con game.

6. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    Even if we all supported him, He has no chance. We live in a 2 Party Dominated System.

So it is all fine and Dandy to say we should support the Libertarian if we are Libertarian. By doing so we end up helping the Liberal Democrat win over the more Moderate Republican.

Sorry, But if my choices are Vote Libertarian and Obama wins, Don't Vote and Obama wins, or Vote Republican and Obama loses.

I choose Option 3.

I went the other route in the past, and Voted for the Libertarian Candidate, Only to see the Liberal Democrat win. In at least 1 case by a Margin Smaller than the % the 3rd Party Candidate got.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  7. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,782
    Exactly. The 'tell' in my opinion is the focus on "conservative" rather than "libertarian". Real libertarianism isn't "conservative" - it's radically liberal.

8. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,782
    Who was it you voted for?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  9. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,673
    The real con game is the notion that, if we don't get big money out of the process, anything will change at all. They fund both "evils" and effectively prevent the emergence of a third.

SUPPORT PUBLIC FINANCING OF ELECTIONS.

It'll cost us less in the long run, as our representitives have fewer expensive promises to keep.

10. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,782
    Oh gawd.... not this again.