Why does the Bush Administration CONTINUE to leave the military in a fiscal lurch?

Discussion in 'Military' started by jasendorf, May 31, 2006.

1. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,99145,00.html?ESRC=eb.nl

What I'm trying to figure out is why the Bush Administration CONTINUES to not put the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan into its annual budgets. I know their main reason is so that they can continue the facade that their failed budget policies will somehow lead to a balanced budget... but is that really a good reason for our military to be left in the lurch?

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Probably because every time Bush asks for a dime liberals start whining about the deficit.

Y'all need to shit or get off the pot.

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I can't WAIT until 5stringJeff replies here; laying the smack. Nobody knows Army budgets like Jeff. :)

4. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    So, let me get this straight... the Bush Administration won't even ASK to put funding for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan in the annual budget and you blame it on liberals? I guess that's the quintessential "passing the buck" if I ever saw it.

OK, let's see... House, Republican controlled... Senate, Republican controlled... White House, Republican controlled... but if they don't allocate money to the troops in the budget... IT'S DOSE DAMNED LIBERALS!!!

Amazing how far you'll go to make excuses for the failures of the Republican Party.

5. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    odd...the first paragraph explained it:

Army Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Richard Cody directed the Army last week to stop ordering many spare parts and supplies in an effort to pare back spending until Congress passes the fiscal year 2006 emergency supplemental spending bill to fund operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

6. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Point is, why should Congress even have to pass an EMERGENCY SUPPLEMENTAL SPENDING BILL in the first place? Why didn't President Bush put this spending in his proposed annual budget? Did he think we weren't going to be at war this year???

Nevermind... I'll tell you why.

Because if he were to do that, the "our tax cutting policies will bring us to a balanced budget" lie falls apart if you factor in the hundreds of billions being spent on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. So, they make a budget which ignores our troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan and then act surprised when they need a couple hundred billion for them.

7. manu1959

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    did congress not know that we were not going to be at war? why did they not increase the budget? you dems are so smart....yall should have know better and taken care of us dumb red state folks....you don't help us then make fun of us for being stupid and not doing what you knew we were doing wrong?.....ever wonder why we don't jump over to your side?

8. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Oh, it has nothing to do with being stupid. The Republican Party knows that the only way it can funnel money back to the rich is to cut taxes and the only way to cut taxes is to falsely justify it by extrapolating "future returns" which show some sort of fiscal balancing. They can't do BOTH that and fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan without desception and a little budgeting slight-of-hand so they pull this "emergency spending" year after year. Meanwhile, the military has to refrain from ordering spare parts while the Republicans feed their future campaign contributions back to the millionaires who "need and deserve it most."

9. manu1959

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    damn you found us out.....pity you smart folk can't stop us

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Frankly, the wars ought to be in the annual budgets. However, one cannot anticipate all the costs of the ongoing war, so even if the GWOT was in the annual appropriation bills, there would still have to be a supplemental budget bill to fund the war for the rest of the year.

As to your OP, jasendorf, I wouldn't consider the VCSA as part of the "Bush Administration." He's a general, not a politician.