Why does it matter if Homosexuality is a choice or not?

I've always wondered how people can think it's a choice.
I don't CHOOSE to be attracted to women, and often, it would be helpful not to be attracted to women, but I can't help it.
Why would it be any different for homosexuals?

Simple. If we ALL were attracted to the same sex most likely we all wouldn't be here.
A very very few people are "genetically" disposed to same sex.
The vast vast majority of homosexuals are learned behavior.

Well thank you for your opinion- which is not anything similar to a fact.

The fact is that we don't know why persons are sexually oriented to the same gender- epigenetics seems to be the most likely answer right now- but its just a promising theory.

I have not seen any evidence at all that homosexuality is a 'learned behavior'

And back to the original question- why does it matter?

Just treat people like people.

I'm saying that the gay population has increased simply because it is not considered rape to get a blow job from another guy! Simple as that!
Lot easier.

So you think getting a blow job from a woman is considered rape?

I don't know if you are a man or a woman- but let me ask you this- regardless of what gender you are- are you willing to go out right now and have sex with the same gender?

If you are a man- maybe just go get one of those simple blow jobs from another man?

Just to show us that being 'gay' is just because it is easier?

Is it an actual question for anybody else? I feel that saying it is a choice somehow implies that something is fundamentally wrong with homosexual activity. If you were born loving dudes or one day woke up to find you only wanted to sleep with men, I fail to understand how either can justify persecution. Of course this applies to lesbians as well.
Having choice or not homosexuality has no sense...

No one advocated persecuting gays. The idea that not giving gays paper and tax breaks is "persecution" is blatantly retarded. At least have an honest discussion. Liberals are so soft and weak, you would die of starvation if you had to make it on your own. Not granting governmental favors is "persecution." My God

For 200 years people advocated persecuting gays. Not persecuting gays is a rather new concept in the United States, only recently achieved through all of that activity that you consider 'retarded'.

The first step was eliminating both legal and illegal persecution of homosexuals- largely achieved.
The second step was achieving legal equality- now largely achieved.

Of course you find all of that 'soft and weak' and liberal.

You have your marriage bennies- you just want homosexual couples to pay for yours without you having to pay for theirs.

And who is forcing you to be a part of a gay wedding? Last I checked, unless contracts are signed, you can still decline to participate in any wedding you choose.
A baker would disagree. He sold the queers goods like everyone else. When they wanted him to cater their wedding. He said his religious beliefs say that gay marriage is wrong so he couldn't do it. Well he is out of business. Even though he sold them stuff in the past. Fuck them.

So the homosexual community as a whole is to blame because other Americans exercised their right not to patronize a company based on the beliefs of the owner? Um no. If I don't like the practices of a private business owner, I have the right not to spend my money there and no one is to blame as that is my right.

He made his personal beliefs public knowledge and now has to face the consequences for doing so just like anyone else.

No one FORCED him to participate in that wedding just like no one is forcing you to participate as you claimed when you initially responded.
So you are okay with him losing his business? Even though he sold them every day items and thought of them as friends?

Since he chooses to "lose" his business, yeah I'm okay with it.

He is choosing to do business. If he chooses to also not obey the law, he suffers the consequences. He has choices if he must be anti gay.

1) Operate your business where PA laws don't protect gays.

2) Don't bake wedding cakes

PA? I thought he meant the clown in Colorado.

In the context of Seawytch's post 'PA laws' means public accommodation laws. Every single gay marriage thread here ends up into to a long winded discussion about public accommodation laws so folks started to abbreviate it to save time. lol

A baker would disagree. He sold the queers goods like everyone else. When they wanted him to cater their wedding. He said his religious beliefs say that gay marriage is wrong so he couldn't do it. Well he is out of business. Even though he sold them stuff in the past. Fuck them.

1. No he didn't sell the lesbians the same goods like everyone else. He would sell a different-sex couple a wedding cake but refused the same goods to the lesbian couple.

2. The bakers don't "cater" a wedding, they deliver a cake to the reception location. Then leave.

3. The law in Oregon isn't that the sell some products to some people and a limited selection of products to others. The law is that they provide "full and equal" access to goods and services.

>>>>

So you are okay with him losing his business? Even though he sold them every day items and thought of them as friends?

Where do you inject "he thought of them as friends" from? The Bowman-Cryers had brought a weeding cake for Cheryl McPherson two years previously. Just buying a product years ago counts as "being friends" now?

>>>>

So the homosexual community as a whole is to blame because other Americans exercised their right not to patronize a company based on the beliefs of the owner? Um no. If I don't like the practices of a private business owner, I have the right not to spend my money there and no one is to blame as that is my right.

He made his personal beliefs public knowledge and now has to face the consequences for doing so just like anyone else.

No one FORCED him to participate in that wedding just like no one is forcing you to participate as you claimed when you initially responded.

He is choosing to do business. If he chooses to also not obey the law, he suffers the consequences. He has choices if he must be anti gay.

In the context of Seawytch's post 'PA laws' means public accommodation laws. Every single gay marriage thread here ends up into to a long winded discussion about public accommodation laws so folks started to abbreviate it to save time. lol

Thank you.

Thank you.

You're welcome. At first I was confused as well. lol. I would think...what the hell does this have to do with the laws of Commonwealth of Pennsylvania?

Thank you.

You're welcome. At first I was confused as well. lol. I would think...what the hell does this have to do with the laws of Commonwealth of Pennsylvania?

I just assumed I missed a news story about another bakery. LOL.

Thank you.

I just assumed I missed a news story about another bakery. LOL.

You likely won't hear of any either. Pennsylvania is my home state and we do not have public accommodation protections for gay people here.

Last edited:
I don't CHOOSE to be attracted to women, and often, it would be helpful not to be attracted to women, but I can't help it.

Simple. If we ALL were attracted to the same sex most likely we all wouldn't be here.

The fact is that we don't know why persons are sexually oriented to the same gender- epigenetics seems to be the most likely answer right now- but its just a promising theory.

The EVIDENCE is history!
If homosexuality was entirely genetics based there would be no human reproduction right????
I mean seriously how would mankind reproduce if we were ALL GENETICALLY predisposed to same sex?
NOW there are those that are genetically predisposed. I've NEVER NEVER said there weren't!
I'm saying that the gay population has increased simply because it is not considered rape to get a blow job from another guy! Simple as that!
Lot easier.

Why would it being genetic mean everyone is the same? We don't all have the same color hair

The EVIDENCE is history!
If homosexuality was entirely genetics based there would be no human reproduction right????
I mean seriously how would mankind reproduce if we were ALL GENETICALLY predisposed to same sex?
NOW there are those that are genetically predisposed. I've NEVER NEVER said there weren't!
Lot easier.

Why would it being genetic mean everyone is the same? We don't all have the same color hair
Genetically all predisposed to Homosexuality is what I meant but of course you didn't read the 3rd sentence!
Yes there are those genetically predisposed to same sex. Thank God literally though the vast,vast majority of us are NOT predisposed or there never would
been a human race! Those of us predisposed to opposite sex would be providing the genetic pool for "same sex" and I shudder to think what kind of
mutants that would have been!
My point is we as a society have become more acceptant of homosexuality and as a result MORE men that ARE NOT predisposed i.e. genetically ARE
gay due to "behavior modification"... heard of Nature vs Nuture??? With the growing acceptance of gaydom we see growing larger then genetically explained
number of gays...i.e. behavior modification. As I've said males with millions of sperms don't care how the come! Hand. Another man's mouth. Irrelevant!
That's why as society comes to accept "gaydom" there are more "gays" that are gay because it is MORE convenient!

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
5:40 p.m. EDT July 15, 2014
A total of 2.3% of U.S. adults said they were gay, lesbian or bisexual in the largest federal government survey ever to ask about sexual orientation.

That number is a bit lower than the 3% to 4% found in some other recent surveys, including a Gallup Pollfrom 2012 — but some of those studies encompassed broader groups, including transsexuals. In the new survey of 34,557 adults, released Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, an additional 1.1% said they were "something else," didn't know or refused to answer.
Just over 2 tell CDC they are gay lesbian bisexual

But with the constant daily barrage of "I've gotta be me" flaming gays on TV, magazines, news, etc. I'm sure many people thought there were 10 to 20% of population gay!

The EVIDENCE is history!
Lot easier.

No shit Sherlock but is there anywhere the law treats you differently because of the color of your hair?

The EVIDENCE is history!
Lot easier.

No shit Sherlock but is there anywhere the law treats you differently because of the color of your hair?

Nope, and gays weren't treated differently under the law either. They had exactly the same rights as everyone else. Now they have more, the courts decreed it

Nope, and gays weren't treated differently under the law either. They had exactly the same rights as everyone else. Now they have more, the courts decreed it

Before the bans were fund unconstitutional:
  • Bob had a legal right to Civilly Marry Jane.
  • Joan did not have the right to Civilly Marry Jane.
  • Bob and Joan did not have the same right.
After the bans were fund unconstitutional:
  • Bob has a legal right to Civilly Marry Jane.
  • Joan has a legal right to Civilly Marry Jane.
  • Bob and Joan can both Civilly Marry Jane**
  • Bob and Joan have the same rights, not more.

(**individually of course, not together)

>>>>

If it's not a choice then the hatred and fear the homophobes have of gay people becomes just that, fear and hatred. It also makes the Bible dead wrong as then it is no longer a sin, it's people being as God created them. Open the door to religion being bullshit on something that fundamental and all hell breaks loose...
I think the reasoning is something like..."It's icky...we must ban it".

ETA: I wrote this with Jack Phillips in mind, forgive me if I'm speaking about a different incident than that which you are referencing.

1) If he sold to them on a regular basis, why the discrimination in the first place?

2) As far as I've seen, he's not losing his business. He's choosing not to make wedding cakes any longer.

Do you not understand that it is illegal for a public entity to discriminate on the basis of race, gender, creed, or sexual orientation? Illegal. That's Colorado state law and if he had a problem operating his business while abiding by the law then he probably shouldn't have opened in the first place.

Either way, he's making a choice to stop doing wedding cakes. A CHOICE. No one is forcing him to stop, he's doing that all on his own.

And, for the record, the Mullins couple was married in Massachusetts, he was not participating in ANY wedding. They wanted a cake for a reception back in Colorado after the fact. He discriminated against two people and now he is complaining about facing those consequences.
So then you are okay with a white supremacists walks into a black bakers shop and makes him do confederate flag cakes?

The EVIDENCE is history!
Lot easier.

So a ban on redheads marrying each other would be constitutional since the could still marry brunettes?

Didn't think that through did you?

ETA: I wrote this with Jack Phillips in mind, forgive me if I'm speaking about a different incident than that which you are referencing.

1) If he sold to them on a regular basis, why the discrimination in the first place?

2) As far as I've seen, he's not losing his business. He's choosing not to make wedding cakes any longer.

Do you not understand that it is illegal for a public entity to discriminate on the basis of race, gender, creed, or sexual orientation? Illegal. That's Colorado state law and if he had a problem operating his business while abiding by the law then he probably shouldn't have opened in the first place.

Either way, he's making a choice to stop doing wedding cakes. A CHOICE. No one is forcing him to stop, he's doing that all on his own.

And, for the record, the Mullins couple was married in Massachusetts, he was not participating in ANY wedding. They wanted a cake for a reception back in Colorado after the fact. He discriminated against two people and now he is complaining about facing those consequences.
So then you are okay with a white supremacists walks into a black bakers shop and makes him do confederate flag cakes?

So you're okay with non sequiturs? Nobody has to provide a service they would not otherwise provide.

You sell a WEDDING CAKE to couple A, you must also sell a WEDDING CAKE to coupleB even if couple B is black, Muslim or in some places, gay.

That is a ridiculous argument.

First, I've never met a white supremacist willing to patronize the business of anyone other than other whites.

Second, the refusal wouldn't be considered discrimination based on any of the protected categories. Try again.

Forum List

Back