why does charles leale MD become hero after treating Lincoln,while William Bliss got disgrace?

96bram

Rookie
Mar 2, 2016
hi. I just curious. Abraham Lincoln and James Garfield were live at the era where american doctor dont use antiseptic,nor that they accept germ theory. But what made me curious is, while Charles Leale did extend Lincoln's live for few hours , He didnt use antiseptics,as well as another doctor treat president. And when I did googling, I find nothing said that charles leale did malpractice,or some thing like that.he's a hero, because the current medicine didnt know germs theory

but William Bliss got critized because probing president garfield with unsterilized hands. Didnt until his era germs theory also not common for american doctor? whats the really difference between them two?

and,I'm also curious.how did they probe gun wounds that day? I want to see how the surgical probe look like. because the wound are not always straight.sometimes it turns right,like garfields wounds. Does the probe is elastic?And how can it extract bullets?Does it shapes like spoon?

hi. I just curious. Abraham Lincoln and James Garfield were live at the era where american doctor dont use antiseptic,nor that they accept germ theory. But what made me curious is, while Charles Leale did extend Lincoln's live for few hours , He didnt use antiseptics,as well as another doctor treat president. And when I did googling, I find nothing said that charles leale did malpractice,or some thing like that.he's a hero, because the current medicine didnt know germs theory

but William Bliss got critized because probing president garfield with unsterilized hands. Didnt until his era germs theory also not common for american doctor? whats the really difference between them two?

and,I'm also curious.how did they probe gun wounds that day? I want to see how the surgical probe look like. because the wound are not always straight.sometimes it turns right,like garfields wounds. Does the probe is elastic?And how can it extract bullets?Does it shapes like spoon?
The big issue with Garfield was there was a brand new newly invented X-ray machine not 100 feet away that was never used.

The big issue with Garfield was there was a brand new newly invented X-ray machine not 100 feet away that was never used.

Pretty neat trick since X-ray machines weren't invented until two decades later.

Perhaps it was a time machine.

Pretty neat trick since X-ray machines weren't invented until two decades later.

There was the first ever at the worlds fair.
"There’s definitely a lot of evidence that argues that Alexander Graham Bell’s “induction balance” – which was basically an early version of a metal detector – likely would have found the bullet in President Garfield’s body if not for the mattress he was laying on. The two best books on the Garfield assassination – Kenneth D. Ackerman’s Dark Horse: The Surprise Election and Political Murder of President James A. Garfield (BOOK|KINDLE) and Candice Millard’s Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine, and the Murder of a President (BOOK|KINDLE) – say as much.

Either you are stupid or a liar.

"There’s definitely a lot of evidence that argues that Alexander Graham Bell’s “induction balance” – which was basically an early version of a metal detector – likely would have found the bullet in President Garfield’s body if not for the mattress he was laying on. The two best books on the Garfield assassination – Kenneth D. Ackerman’s Dark Horse: The Surprise Election and Political Murder of President James A. Garfield (BOOK|KINDLE) and Candice Millard’s Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine, and the Murder of a President (BOOK|KINDLE) – say as much.

A metal detector is not an fluorosope, Pinquée. Thomas Edison contrived the first ones, around the turn of the century. X-rays themselves weren't even studied for any kind of application until 1895 --- fourteen years after Garfield died.

A metal detector is not an fluorosope, Pinquée. Thomas Edison contrived the first ones, around the turn of the century. X-rays themselves weren't even studied for any kind of application until 1895 --- fourteen years after Garfield died.
Read the history of the machine idiot. I had to for class a LONG time ago.

Already did. Here's some of it:
>> German physicist Wilhelm Röntgen is usually credited as the discoverer of X-rays in 1895, because he was the first to systematically study them, though he is not the first to have observed their effects. He is also the one who gave them the name "X-rays" (signifying an unknown quantity[57]) though many others referred to these as "Röntgen rays" (and the associated X-ray radiograms as, "Röntgenograms") for several decades after their discovery and even to this day in some languages, including Röntgen's native German.

... On November 8, 1895, German physics professor Wilhelm Röntgen stumbled on X-rays while experimenting with Lenard and Crookes tubes and began studying them. He wrote an initial report "On a new kind of ray: A preliminary communication" and on December 28, 1895 submitted it to the Würzburg's Physical-Medical Society journal.[69] This was the first paper written on X-rays. << (Wiki)​

Perhaps you're confusing Garfield with McKinley.

>> German physicist Wilhelm Röntgen is usually credited as the discoverer of X-rays in 1895, because he was the first to systematically study them, though he is not the first to have observed their effects. He is also the one who gave them the name "X-rays" (signifying an unknown quantity[57]) though many others referred to these as "Röntgen rays" (and the associated X-ray radiograms as, "Röntgenograms") for several decades after their discovery and even to this day in some languages, including Röntgen's native German.

... On November 8, 1895, German physics professor Wilhelm Röntgen stumbled on X-rays while experimenting with Lenard and Crookes tubes and began studying them. He wrote an initial report "On a new kind of ray: A preliminary communication" and on December 28, 1895 submitted it to the Würzburg's Physical-Medical Society journal.[69] This was the first paper written on X-rays. << (Wiki)​

Nope, most history books tie metal detection as the grandfather to metal imagery.

Nope, most history books tie metal detection as the grandfather to metal imagery.

Fluoroscopy has nothing to do with metal detecting, Pinks. Besides ---- I just gave you the dates above, which make the Garfield story impossible. You cannot fuck with linear time.

Here -- THIS is what you must be thinking of:

>> At the 1901 Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo, New York, an assassin shot President William McKinley twice at close range with a .32 caliber revolver. One bullet grazed McKinley's sternum (breastbone) and another penetrated his stomach.

A hastily assembled medical team, headed by a gynecological surgeon, operated immediately at the small Exposition hospital, but the second bullet could not be found. After cleaning the stomach cavity, the surgeon closed the incision with black silk thread and a straight sewing needle. A worried McKinley aide sent word to inventor Thomas Edison to rush an X-ray machine to Buffalo to find the stray bullet. It arrived but wasn't used.<<​

--- and it appears it would not have saved the President anyway:

>> ....The medical team reported that the president was improving. McKinley's family, Congress, and the public believed he was going to recover. Instead, he died the morning of September 14. At the autopsy, physicians found that the unrecovered bullet did not cause the death of the President through loss of blood and resultant shock. Instead, gangrene had developed along the path of the bullet, and McKinley died of septic shock due to bacterial infection. <<​

McKinley, 1901 -- which was four years after Edison constructed the first crude fluoroscope.
Not Garfield 1881.

Essentially, they dug around with a long pair of tweezers until they hit the bullet/fragments.

At least chloroform was a known anesthetic by that time, though not yet widely used.

but xray invented 14 years after garfield died. its mckinley doctor whom not using xray, not mckinley

beside,after reading, I've found out dr bliss is quite good,except for this garfield .but were another doctor take charge,isnt it the same as bliss did,for that time standart?

Essentially, they dug around with a long pair of tweezers until they hit the bullet/fragments.

At least chloroform was a known anesthetic by that time, though not yet widely used.

Tweezer are not elastic as well. the wound path are not always straight.how will tweezer really work?

but xray invented 14 years after garfield died. its mckinley doctor whom not using xray, not mckinley

beside,after reading, I've found out dr bliss is quite good,except for this garfield .but were another doctor take charge,isnt it the same as bliss did,for that time standart?

Tweezer are not elastic as well. the wound path are not always straight.how will tweezer really work?

Operative words "dug around".

how can that kind of steels turn right or left,following wounds pathway? or wound pathway are always straight? I dont have any experience about gun wounds,idk much ,let me know please ,thanks :)

Forum List

Back