Why does Carter get a bad rap from Republicans?

I don't think he did much.
Maybe his hands were tied.
Approval ratings not too good.
I don't especially appreciate the way he coddles the PLO either. After all, Israel is our biggest Mideast ally. I don't recall to PLO sticking up for us ever - do you?
The man was a joke. I remember how happy we were as a nation when he was elected. And then how happy we were again 4 years later when we booted him out. :lol:

Don't forget his response to high energy prices: "Turn down the thermostat and wear a sweater."

In reality, Carter's approval ratings went up when he addressed the nation about our impeding energy crisis.

However, modern day Contards think "Drill, drill, drill" is our solution. Its not, but that doesn't stop them, even when drilling goes against the Clean Water Act.

Carter's answer to the then "energy crisis"? Syphon over $80 billion from the domestic petroleum industry via an excise tax. Produce less energy... smart.

Drilling has never been touted as the solution, but as a contribution.

Drilling does not go against the CWA.

The man was more fiscally conservative than Reagan and the King of Deregulation. Plus, his appointment of Volcker was much better than the bubble creating and opaqueness of Greenspan.

While, he supported dictators across the globe, his foreign wasn't that relatively atrocious. And the last thing Cons are worried about is atrocious foreign policy.

I really don't see why Cons hate Carter. I think it is misguided hatred.

Republicans are actually so stupid they think Regan solved the hostage crisis his 1st 15 minutes in office while taking the oath.

Carter wouldn't have been a great President even in the best of circumstances, but to deny that he was a victim of a shitty situation when he took office is to be a liar or an ignoramous. Wasn't Carter that took us off the Bretton Woods system was it?

No that was Nixon.

Republicans need a target. It's deflects from their incessant failures.

Their seething hatred of Carter makes me lol.

Consider the judgment of Erwin C Hargrove, a respected scholar of the presidency, rendered after Reagan’s first 100 days: “Reagan has demonstrated, in a way that Jimmy Carter never did, that he understands how to be president.
Team Obama: Survival of the smartest - Times Online

Iran Contra proves that.

The man was more fiscally conservative than Reagan and the King of Deregulation. Plus, his appointment of Volcker was much better than the bubble creating and opaqueness of Greenspan.

While, he supported dictators across the globe, his foreign wasn't that relatively atrocious. And the last thing Cons are worried about is atrocious foreign policy.

It is really quite simple Look at Obama think Carter only Obama is 10x worse

Yawn, I still await one valid criticism gainst Carter.

Well Obviously I can't force you to open your eye's. The only current difference between Obama and Carter is the interests rates but that will change fairly soon.

Having lived through the Carter years - Dem or Rep - one would know he was a bad deal. I paid 21% interest on our first home then. That's just for starters...

You are right, but inflation and high interest rates were out of Carter's control. Hence, why he appointed Volcker.

Carter attacked the problem, but you see him as the problem and this is misguided.

I don't see him as a problem. I am sure he's a nice guy. His Presidency, however, not so good.

The vewy best thing about Carter is he was a ONE TERM idiot.

Well Obviously I can't force you to open your eye's. The only current difference between Obama and Carter is the interests rates but that will change fairly soon.

Of course you can't open my eyes. I never related Carter to Obama, but this is what your thesis is about.

Again, I still await honest criticism.

It all started with the dust up between him and then CIA chief George H. W. Bush. Carter accepted his resignation. On October 31, 1979, President Jimmy Carter fired 700 CIA operatives and agents.

Big Oil did not like the conservationist or alternative energy plans.

He has been denigrated ever since.

It all started with the dust up between him and then CIA chief George H. W. Bush. Carter accepted his resignation. On October 31, 1979, President Jimmy Carter fired 700 CIA operatives and agents.

Big Oil did not like the conservationist or alternative energy plans.

He has been denigrated ever since.

"Big Oil" did not have any exceptions to conservation or alternative energy plans/programs. What oil companies- big and small- objected to was the confiscation of personal property in the guise of a "Windfall Profits Tax" which was actually an excise tax. Over $80 billion syphoned from a job-producing energy-producing industry.
Sound familiar?

Republicans need a target. It's deflects from their incessant failures.

carter was an incessant failure

Having lived through the Carter years - Dem or Rep - one would know he was a bad deal. I paid 21% interest on our first home then. That's just for starters...

You can blame Nixon for the 21% interest. You can blame Carter for not doing anything about in his four years.

Because Jimma Cawta is a douche bag and and an idiot in general.

I remember gas lines.. when you could get gas, and mega inflation, and even stagflation and the misery index.

Forum List

Back