2. It's required by (local) law
3. It saves me money as I have to pay to dispose "garbage" but not to recycle
4. It's FUN!

Of course, some people may not recycle because:

1. I don't want to
2. I'm not required to
3. It's too time consuming

Any other ideas?

Personally for me, I recycle because I pay to dispose of garbage, but I don't pay to dispose of recyclable material. Therefore, I do my best to limit was goes into the garbage.

I don't think it is required by law for me, although I do think it is good for the environment. However, if disposal of my garbage was completely free, or if I had to pay the same amount whether I recycle or not, I probably wouldn't put the effort into it.

We too get paid in Maine to recycle bottles and cans here....I keep trying to get my friends and family out of state to send me theirs! :D

But no one is listening to me.... :lol:

I recycle stuff that I get paid money for, the rest goes in the can.

Wood scraps from the shop go into the fireplace.
Aluminum cans and metals to to the scrap yard.
Non slick paper gets shredded and mulches the garden.

Not because I give a shit about saving the planet, but because I'm too cheap to pay to have it hauled off. If I had a back hoe, I'd bury the rest out in the pasture.

I have fun by throwing aluminum in the trash just to see who thinks it's valuable enough to dig outta there. :lol:

I hate waste.

Anything that can be turned into something else and used again should be.

I don't recycle.

I pay to have my trash removed, or rather I put my stuff in with the business's trash and the business pays to take it away and writes off the cost.

Besides most garbage is sorted at transfer stations anyway so why should I take a job away from a trash sorter?

PS
I don't pay for my trash bags the business does. Come to think of it I don't pay for my coffee or toilet paper either.

I knew there was a reason I started a business.

Last edited:
We too get paid in Maine to recycle bottles and cans here....I keep trying to get my friends and family out of state to send me theirs! :D

Do you have a friend that works in the postal service?

If so, I have a great idea....we can collect bottles and cans, and then drive to Michigan in the postal service truck where the refund is 10 cents instead of 5 cents!

I just think it is the responsible thing to do. The cost to me is zero either way, but the complex has sorted bins.

Personally for me, I recycle because I pay to dispose of garbage, but I don't pay to dispose of recyclable material. Therefore, I do my best to limit was goes into the garbage.

I don't think it is required by law for me, although I do think it is good for the environment. However, if disposal of my garbage was completely free, or if I had to pay the same amount whether I recycle or not, I probably wouldn't put the effort into it.

We recycle because landfills are stinky, messy, rat infested, toxic piles. It's fun to recycle too!

The recycle truck wouldn't take our christmas boxes though. We had to drive them down to the recycle place.

Do you have a friend that works in the postal service?

If so, I have a great idea....we can collect bottles and cans, and then drive to Michigan in the postal service truck where the refund is 10 cents instead of 5 cents!

The postal truck is the key to the whole operation.

Without it, the numbers just don't crunch.

We pay too for garbage, while recycling free.

Sticker Prices

The contract between the City of Wheaton and Veolia sets the price of garbage/yard waste and leaf stickers at the following prices. Please note that garbage and yard waste now use the same sticker.

July 1, 2009-June 30, 2010:
Garbage/Yard Waste: $3.05
Leaf: $2.51
July 1, 2010-June 30, 2011:
Garbage/Yard Waste: $3.19
Leaf: $2.62
July 1, 2011-June 30, 2012:
Garbage/Yard Waste: $3.33
Leaf: $2.74
July 1, 2012-June 30, 2013:
Garbage/Yard Waste: $3.48
Leaf: $2.86

When you have a lot of garbage, such as when moving or flood a toilet, gets very expensive!

However 'recycling' began for me with the admonishment years ago of 'Don't be a litter bug!' We always went for walks picking up trash in the neighborhood, by the creek, and during the summer on the beaches of Lake Michigan.

When recycling started, a natural transition. It makes the world, at least our little piece of it, better.

Sticker Prices

The contract between the City of Wheaton and Veolia sets the price of garbage/yard waste and leaf stickers at the following prices. Please note that garbage and yard waste now use the same sticker.

When you have a lot of garbage, such as when moving or flood a toilet, gets very expensive!

However 'recycling' began for me with the admonishment years ago of 'Don't be a litter bug!' We always went for walks picking up trash in the neighborhood, by the creek, and during the summer on the beaches of Lake Michigan.

When recycling started, a natural transition. It makes the world, at least our little piece of it, better.

We pay $1.50 per 30 lb bag. We pay nothing for recycling.

Unfortunately, the annual fee for the dump sticker really breaks the bank.

It's $1.00.

Sticker Prices

We pay $1.50 per 30 lb bag. We pay nothing for recycling.

Unfortunately, the annual fee for the dump sticker really breaks the bank.

It's $1.00.

30 bags/4ft cuts of carpet=$90! That is a 30 lb bag. Yep, nothing for recycling.

Forum List

Back